9.3MM 286gr Barnes Banded solid

Discussion in 'Up To .375' started by Longwalker, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Longwalker

Longwalker AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation, Saskatoon Gun Dog Club
    Hunted:
    Canada USA, Germany, South Africa, Namibia
    I picked up a couple boxes of these bullets at a "going out of business" sale for a very cheap price. My plan is to develop a load for them in my 9.3x62 for possible use on really big African game like buffalo, or really small game like duiker.
    These bullets are "monometal" round nose solids. Relatively long for weight. I have no doubt that they will punch a 9.3" hole in a small antelope without destroying too much of the meat or cape. I am wondering about the long for weight bullet when used for buffalo. Your experienced opinions are welcome.
    I wonder about a bullet that is so long for its weight, remaining stable and point forward IN game - have any of you more experienced members used this bullet in a 9.3x62 for buffalo? How was penetration and stability when it hit bone?
    I have no doubt as to the bullet's ability to hold together, but wonder about its ability to penetrate in a straight line while hitting bone on big animals like buffalo.
    Would I be better off with a 250 grain weight with this bullet type in this cartridge?

2. IvW

IvW AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    BASA, CHASA
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Namibia,Zambia
    Long/heavy for caliber bullets penetrate better than short/light bullets. The round nose design is not the best option for straight line penetration. Monometal solids with a Meplat(flat) nose work much better and are less prone to deflection.

The round nose design is good for the small duikers as they will cause less damage than a Meplat solid.

3. Wayne t

Wayne t AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    BDS
    Hunted:
    U.K. Croatia
    Been looking at these for my x74 as opposed to the Nosler solids anyone used these in the 9.3x74r with IRL experience in Africa ?

4. ChrisG

ChrisG AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NAHC, NRA, Rocky Mtn. Elk Foundation.
    Hunted:
    USA, Canada
    The Barnes are good bullets and out of a 9.3, full penetration would be likely even through big shoulder bones on a buff. If you want more space in the case, and a meplat without breaking the bank you could look into the hornady DGS. from what I've seen, they work great, hold their shape and have a dense lead core that keeps them short.

Wayne t likes this.

5. enysse

enysse AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
    Barnes Banded Solids are excellent bullets, great for penetration.

Wayne t likes this.