9.3?

ZooKpr

AH member
Reaction score
I am thinking about building a new rifle. I was thinking about a .338 caliber or a .358 caliber. But would like to be able to use it in Africa for big game if the bug would want to try something a little different there. So I was wondering if there is a 9.3 out there that is a little zippier than a 9.3x62 that wouldn’t be crazy hard to make brass for?

I already have a .375, and 416. So just looking for a reason to build a new rifle to play with.

Thanks.

So why does it have to be little more zippier than the 9.3x62mm? After all you have a 375 H&H that is a lot more zippier.
The 9.3x62mm is a great african caliber

So why does it have to be little more zippier than the 9.3x62mm? After all you have a 375 H&H that is a lot more zippier.
The 9.3x62mm is a great african caliber

It’s purpose wouldn’t primarily be Africa. That would be if I wanted to play with something a little different over there. I have other rifles for that. The only hole I have in my arsenal is between 300 Win. and 375 H&H. I have thought about a 338 of some flavor. But found it silly to build a rifle that size that I couldn’t use for Buf. I would like to have near the reach of a 338 Win.

It’s purpose wouldn’t primarily be Africa. That would be if I wanted to play with something a little different over there. I have other rifles for that. The only hole I have in my arsenal is between 300 Win. and 375 H&H. I have thought about a 338 of some flavor. But found it silly to build a rifle that size that I couldn’t use for Buf. I would like to have near the reach of a 338 Win.
.338WM. Your stress and anxiety over finding something else that you can't find ammo or brass for is solved!

9,3/338 is a belted ballistic twin to 9.3x64, and as such is a good cartridge.
one pass with an expander and you will have brass.
however there is no better brass available than rws 9.3x64.
bruce.

250 gr accubond can be fired at 2500-2600 fps out of a 9.3x62.

it's pretty close to being a ballistic twin to 338 WM firing 250 gr bullets.

Well without regard to the action I would think:
1. I like the 8mm. The 8x68s is different and equal to your .300WM. The 8mm Rem. Mag. I think out performs the .338WM and is almost as potent as the .340Wby, but not quite. I have used the 8mm Rem Mag here in the U.S. and in Africa, it is a real thumper, I love it.
2. .338 WM is a great cartridge but it's plain vanilla. I would think the .338-06 would be interesting and different. The .340 Wby or .338 RUM might be even better.
3. The .35 Whelen, .35 Whelen AI, .358 Norma Mag. or the .358STW any of which I think could be interesting.
As far as 9.3mm goes there is the .370 Sako/9.3x66, but it has seemingly fallen by the wayside. It is a little zippyer. The other would be the 9.3x64 Brenneke but it is duplicating your .375H&H pretty much.

You guys gave me a fun thought. A 9.3-8mm, 9.3-375 Weatherby, or 9.3-375 H&H improved. Whatever name you choose. I’ll have to decide if I’m really going off the deep end.

You can always neck down the .375 Ruger. I think it may have already been done. The three above could be interesting too. I think it might be easier to neck down .375-.366 than neck up .323-.375. But I don't know, haven't done it.

You guys gave me a fun thought. A 9.3-8mm, 9.3-375 Weatherby, or 9.3-375 H&H improved. Whatever name you choose. I’ll have to decide if I’m really going off the deep end.
not familiar with the 8mm case, but for the other 2, you'll really want to go with SAF 286 or 300 gr, or TSX 286. Oryx 285 should *probably* be able to handle that, and so should Woodleigh 286.

It isn’t anxiety or stress. It is entertainment. To try something off the beaten path.
I hear you. I’ve done the same thing and it is entertaining and fun.

I was going to say 340WBY for magnum length action and 338-06 for standard length. @dchamp beat me to it on both counts.

The reason I'd choose those calibers (or something close to it) is that you mentioned a gap in your arsenal between .30 and .375 caliber. There's nothing wrong with a 9.3mm cartridge, but if you are looking to fill a perceived gap, having something right next to the .375 will leave you with nearly the same gap. Your rifle, your choice.

Last edited:
Hi ZooKpr,

To fill that "hole" between .300 and .375 caliber rifles you have, I think the logical choice is the .338 Win Mag. But, of course, "logical" in this matter, can be a not too accurate word...
Having said that, to me, that hole don´t need to be filled!! You are very well covered with a 300 Win Mag and the .375 H&H. Just varying the bullet weight/type you can "fill the hole". But, again, "need" can be, also, a not too accurate word...!

Good luck!

CF

I don't know if I would call that a "hole". Thats pretty much the perfect gap in capability. Anything between those two would overlap so heavily at one end or the other that the practicality becomes semantics. I had a similar predicament but the gap was 6.5x55 and .375 Ruger. I filled it with a .358 Winchester. Anything a 9.3x62 or 64 can do, the .375 h&h can do with maybe a 10-30 yard further MPBR. So... its a little flatter shooting, but both are tailored to the exact same purpose. Similarly with the .338s unless you are talking .338 federal, but then your .300 does everything better than a .338 federal. If you WANT a 9.3 just to have one, just understand, it will be slightly more effective, while not shooting as flat as a .300 mag and slightly less effective (not that there is a real world difference) than a .375 while shooting less flat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
profibrahim

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you