9.3 x 62 Which powder?

Quaticman

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Namibia
Which powder(s) do you prefer with the 286 grain bullets. I have IMR 4064, H 4350 and Reloader 15 all of which are suitable. Are their others which should be considered?

I just posted results for my 9.3x62 Mauser in the Firearms (Up to 0.375) Forums.....

https://www.africahunting.com/threa...ayne-jacobson-at-ahr.31456/page-4#post-425488

I have not experimented with IMR 4064, H4350, or RL15 in the 9.3 Mauser, but as far as I am concerned, Ramshot BigGame is the powder for the old 9.3 Mauser. However, I've seen hand loaders post that RL15 has worked well for them in the past. Again no experience.....

What 286 grain bullet are you thinking about shooting? If I have a load manual for the bullet, I can probably forward some data along....

I use 56gr ADI 2208/Varget with a 286gr Prvi Partisan projectile. This is pretty much a minimum load. Gives 2250fps with a 24" barrel.

I have used RL 15 and Varget successfully with 286gr. bullets, Have not tried 4064 but it seems to be the correct burn rate too. I think that H4350 is too slow to be ideal.

We were limited to only South African Somchem powder until last year in SA. I've loaded mine with S341, the burnrate being similar to IMR4895. It gets a 286 Woodleigh or Partition downrange at 2300fps with no pressure signs, gives an ES of 15 or so and good accuracy for a open sighted rifle

RL 17 and Ramshot Big game if you can get them

I used 4064 for the 250 gr bullets and R15 for 286. In two different rifles 4064 shot extremely well with 250gr Nosler Acc Bonds and Barnes Triple Shocks.

Quaticman, when you have a moment please take a look at Nathan Foster's Knowledgebase posted on his website
https://www.ballisticstudies.com/ He has a very good treatise on the 9.3 x 62 including recommended powders. I think I may have referred you to this same website for info on your 6.5 x 55 Swede. IMHO Nathan Foster's writings are the first place to go when looking for information on almost any caliber. Admittedly there are many big bores that he does not cover, but the calibers he does cover are spot on.

Big game and 286 grain Barnes TSX go together like peas and carrots. Search internet for Fred Barnsnes articles on handloading the 9.3 for starters.

Big game and 286 grain Barnes TSX go together like peas and carrots. Search internet for Fred Barnsnes articles on handloading the 9.3 for starters.
You mean John Barsness?

Yes John Barsness. I should not smoke cigars, drink, and type at the same time I guess

I use the load right out of the Swift #2 manual.

58 grains RL-15 and 286 gr. A-Frame. OAL of 3.160". MV of 2375 from my 24" barrel.
I also use this same load with the Interlock and PPU bullets I use for practice as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross