8x68S vs 300 Wea Magnum

ff7eac04-3777-4f41-8c70-aca264f1bc2d.jpg
e42f3f9a-be33-4e1c-97d6-9ce6c67745b8.jpg
316703cf-be96-4a5d-a048-2ae5c4139b6e.jpg
4d905506-8938-4196-bab4-140e0c1a326b.jpg
ff7eac04-3777-4f41-8c70-aca264f1bc2d.jpg
a977bcb4-754e-40f2-89be-cb740fb77049.jpg

Hello friends, I first apologize for taking so long to write. I hope you had a great start to the year. On this occasion I want to face two fast one with a belt with a belt and American origin and another without a belt and European origin. Which one seems better? Say that I bought a second-hand Voere rifle in the 8x68S cartridge.
well 8x68S compared to 300
Hello friends, I first apologize for taking so long to write. I hope you had a great start to the year. On this occasion I want to face two fast one with a belt with a belt and American origin and another without a belt and European origin. Which one seems better? Say that I bought a second-hand Voere rifle in the 8x68S cartridge.
well:
1 -both cartridges are not available every where, hard to find in some part of the country.
2 -both have a good punch and kill perfecly if you place the bullet in the vital.
3 -personally i préfère .300 win mag. I never had the need to take a shoot over 300 yards and the WM always did the job and cartridges available almost every where, and if you roll your owns that go
also forthe brass.
4 -to finish in my opinion a fair comparaisons would be 8x68S and 338WM ... about the same with again due to cartridges availability I tend to favor the 338WM

8x68S is an awesome cartridge and stands alone as does most German designed cartridges.....
You could go German and never look back....

I am a member of the german minority in east France. Hunting in our region was always shaped by german tradition for a very long time. Nevertheless, the cartridge 8x68S was not widely used because it is a almost too powerful cartridge for the game species of western Europe. That but it is a good cartridge is out of question.

Last edited:
Hello, I live in Spain. I don't know what it would cost to put a new stock on the Voere rifle in the US. But surely cheaper than in Spain.
Oscar, if you visit SA or a person you know visit SA from Spain I can get hold of Johan Greyling`s rifle stock for the 8x68 , and send it to you with a visiting hunter. You can fit the stock yourself or ask someone to fit it for you..I think Johan Greyling`s rifle stocks is a great design..

Oscar, if you visit SA or a person you know visit SA from Spain I can get hold of Johan Greyling`s rifle stock for the 8x68 , and send it to you with a visiting hunter. You can fit the stock yourself or ask someone to fit it for you..I think Johan Greyling`s rifle stocks is a great design..
Thanks for the offer, but I think those stocks are beyond my budget. I save very little by little. I can look at the Spanish section of Brownells, which usually has an interesting assortment of stocks. Thank you.

It is not just the cartridge, but the combination with the rifle it comes in,.....
The .300 Weatherby comes in a push feed... and the 8x68S mostly comes in a Mauser M98!

HWL

The reason I choose a 8x68S caliber in a hunting rifle is :
It is a design from the floor up, by a brilliant gunsmith, a German Gunsmith that was known to be a great craftsman.
It was designed to shoot hot loads at low chamber pressure, made it to fit into a standard Mauser MOD98 receiver.

I improved my 8x68S performances by opening up the receiver to accommodating a 91mm over all length round and a larger follower as well as a large magazine box.

Rationale : the RWS brass is extremely thick bottom part minimize water capacity , this is countered by opening up the 8X68S receiver of my rifle .

I now will be able to shoot much heavier bullets , 250gn core bonded bullets or Barnes X bullets or Stewart Core bonded bullets , at flat trajectories. The .300 Weatherby will not be able to achieve this scenario at all.

This is the only and primary difference between the .300 WB and the 8x68S caliber in a hunting rifle ..
Heavier bullets will stabilize quite well in a 1:10 or 1:11 twist in a 26 inch barrel.
The rifle stock determine the felt recoil, this is where the African dangerous game stock design outperforms any SAKO/Weatherby stock design.

Other differences mentioned in this discussion really means not much when you start hunting with the 8x68S and .300 Weatherby shooting at thick skin heavy body game animals like the Giraffe, Eland , Oryx Blue wildebeest and a Buffalo( although you are not allow to hunt buffalo with a 8x68S here in South Africa....but I will hunt a buffalo with my 8x68S rifle if I get the chance to do so...

The reason I choose a 8x68S caliber in a hunting rifle is :
It is a design from the floor up, by a brilliant gunsmith, a German Gunsmith that was known to be a great craftsman.
It was designed to shoot hot loads at low chamber pressure, made it to fit into a standard Mauser MOD98 receiver.

I improved my 8x68S performances by opening up the receiver to accommodating a 91mm over all length round and a larger follower as well as a large magazine box.

Rationale : the RWS brass is extremely thick bottom part minimize water capacity , this is countered by opening up the 8X68S receiver of my rifle .

I now will be able to shoot much heavier bullets , 250gn core bonded bullets or Barnes X bullets or Stewart Core bonded bullets , at flat trajectories. The .300 Weatherby will not be able to achieve this scenario at all.

This is the only and primary difference between the .300 WB and the 8x68S caliber in a hunting rifle ..
Heavier bullets will stabilize quite well in a 1:10 or 1:11 twist in a 26 inch barrel.
The rifle stock determine the felt recoil, this is where the African dangerous game stock design outperforms any SAKO/Weatherby stock design.

Other differences mentioned in this discussion really means not much when you start hunting with the 8x68S and .300 Weatherby shooting at thick skin heavy body game animals like the Giraffe, Eland , Oryx Blue wildebeest and a Buffalo( although you are not allow to hunt buffalo with a 8x68S here in South Africa....but I will hunt a buffalo with my 8x68S rifle if I get the chance to do so...
Have you finished this rifle Gert?

Aaron, barrel is being fit, final reaming being done, head spacing, Mauser screw thread being done now. Will be completing it before end of the year,
I look forward to seeing the end result! Do you have pictures of the machining you did for the longer COAL

Hello, the problem with my Voere is that with some projectiles the cartridge does not fit in the magazine-loader. And my gunsmith told me that it is difficult to solve, so when reloading I will have to take great care of the issue of the total length of the cartridge and use tips that are not very long.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeeWedel71

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois