8x68S owner's opinions

These came on the mail last week, and I am also waiting on two boxes of Norma ammo loaded with 200gr A-Frames.

069C30BF-1C0F-4CB5-A430-5B1AFD298267.jpeg
C55708BE-FFE8-41BA-92E2-F48A59D4F9F3.jpeg

These came on the mail last week, and I am also waiting on two boxes of Norma ammo loaded with 200gr A-Frames.

View attachment 455292View attachment 455293
Unfortunately have never seen these in Namibia, but am interested to see how they perform! The Norma ammo with A-Frames should be an absolute hammer in this cartridge.

These are the RWS Evolution bullets I am currently developing a load for, quite a few gun shops stock these around here (must be due to Namibia's colonial history). Would also like to try the Swifts, but they are scarce and very expensive here. I will post results and performance on game once I am done. Out of interest, is RWS well known and available in the States?

20220302_203417.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately have never seen these in Namibia, but am interested to see how they perform! The Norma ammo with A-Frames should be an absolute hammer in this cartridge.

These are the RWS Evolution bullets I am currently developing a load for, quite a few gun shops stock these around here (must be due to Namibia's colonial history). Would also like to try the Swifts, but they are scarce and very expensive here. I will post results and performance on game once I am done. Out of interest, is RWS well known and available in the States?
Most of the loaded ammo I have found online in Canada for this caliber was RWS, but sold out. Luckily I found the loaded Norma to try out and get some donor brass.

Usually I use RWS evolution 13 gramm. I am very satisfied. Up to 300 meters
Hi garasi, could you please elaborate a bit on your experiences with this bullet? Expansion, penetration, what game you have taken with it? I have loaded up a decent batch of these and will be hunting oryx with them next weekend!

Je n'ai chassé qu'une fois en Afrique : en Namibie avec mon fils de 14 ans. On nous a prêté une STEYR MANLICHER 8 x 68 S avec un modérateur de son. J'ai trouvé ce calibre parfait. Mon fils et moi avons pris 6 gibiers de plaine d'une seule balle sans souffrance. 4 sont restés sur place dont un oryx à environ 250 m. Un gnou et un zèbre ont fait juste 100 m
J'ai par contre perdu 2 chacals qui ont réussi à s'échapper dans le bush, bien que grièvement blessé
Je ne sais pas contre qu'elle type de balle était utilisée. Je crois que le poids était de 13 grammes
La carabine était lourde : aucun recul mais difficile à manipuler : c'était le seul inconvénient
C’est un calibre que j’ultiliserai à nouveau volontiers et je ne comprends pas son manque de succès ….

Je n'ai chassé qu'une fois en Afrique : en Namibie avec mon fils de 14 ans. On nous a prêté une STEYR MANLICHER 8 x 68 S avec un modérateur de son. J'ai trouvé ce calibre parfait. Mon fils et moi avons pris 6 gibiers de plaine d'une seule balle sans souffrance. 4 sont restés sur place dont un oryx à environ 250 m. Un gnou et un zèbre ont fait juste 100 m
J'ai par contre perdu 2 chacals qui ont réussi à s'échapper dans le bush, bien que grièvement blessé
Je ne sais pas contre qu'elle type de balle était utilisée. Je crois que le poids était de 13 grammes
La carabine était lourde : aucun recul mais difficile à manipuler : c'était le seul inconvénient
C’est un calibre que j’ultiliserai à nouveau volontiers et je ne comprends pas son manque de succès ….
C'est bon. Might be a good idea to use English next time. My own surname is French but I learned the language in school!

View attachment 455310
So I got a load that shoots very accurately out of my rifle, using Norma 204 and these 200gr bonded RWS bullets. Get 2880 ft/s, which is not pushing it but a sweet spot accuracy wise.

Went on a culling hunt this past weekend and took three oryx with high neck shots, all of the animals dropped at the spot. Ranges were between 150 and 250 m and all bullets exited. I guess neck shots don't tell you much about bullet performance, the only thing I can report is that they seemed to fly straight :)

So I got a load that shoots very accurately out of my rifle, using Norma 204 and these 200gr bonded RWS bullets. Get 2880 ft/s, which is not pushing it but a sweet spot accuracy wise.

Went on a culling hunt this past weekend and took three oryx with high neck shots, all of the animals dropped at the spot. Ranges were between 150 and 250 m and all bullets exited. I guess neck shots don't tell you much about bullet performance, the only thing I can report is that they seemed to fly straight :)
You could'nt say better, I agree 101% on Norma 204 and Evo, a recipe that works great in my old Sauer, too. I find the 200 gr Evo tremendously accurate, as it was the previous H Mantel I have to say, with the benefits of a bonded bullet. Also the factory 200gr RWS shots great for me.

So my pet Sauer 8x68S will be my Mountain Grizzly gun in upper Yukon.
I can't figure out a better combination of speed, bullet weight (200) and section for THAT kind of Grizzly.
But, maybe, with a Swift 220 and enough speed (2750/2800 fps are doable), it would also be a Brown/Costal Bear cartridge..."maybe".
Any opinion or experience?

Don't own one but according to what I read it kicks most 300magnums ass especially with heavier projectiles
Brass will be expensive and bullets and ammo not so available.

Be sure you're rifle is heavy enough with at least a 26inch barrel

I just like it(i have a 300H&H)

Another successful hunt with the 8x68S with 200gr RWS Evolution bullets. Massive eland bull taken with neck shot, bullet did not pass through. Gemsbok and hartebeest taken with heart/lung shots, bullets exited and animals down within 30 meters. Very happy with the caliber and bullet combo, it just works!
20230122_095710.jpg

Another successful hunt with the 8x68S with 200gr RWS Evolution bullets. Massive eland bull taken with neck shot, bullet did not pass through. Gemsbok and hartebeest taken with heart/lung shots, bullets exited and animals down within 30 meters. Very happy with the caliber and bullet combo, it just works!
View attachment 512484
I shot this combo too, and can say that Evo is also extremely accurate! Congrats for your trophies!

4 Swift A-frames, 200 gr. from my R93/8x68S. All recovered from Oryx shot broad side between 150-200m. at 850 m/s. One seems as if it broke apart, although no major bones were hit. Most A-frames that I shoot at Oryx, about fifty the last few years after I changed from Nosler Partition, are recovered.

IMG-20220616-WA0000.jpg

Attachments

• _D5J8643.jpg
    13.6 MB · Views: 59
  • _D5J8643_001.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 59
  • _D5J8673_014.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 57
So my pet Sauer 8x68S will be my Mountain Grizzly gun in upper Yukon.
I can't figure out a better combination of speed, bullet weight (200) and section for THAT kind of Grizzly.
But, maybe, with a Swift 220 and enough speed (2750/2800 fps are doable), it would also be a Brown/Costal Bear cartridge..."maybe".
Any opinion or experience?
It seems as though with equal barrel lengths, the 8x68S & 325 WSM are about the same velocities with same bullet weights.

I am a definite fan of 325. I have carried my 325 a few times on unsuccessful moose outings. My personal view is 8mm with a 200 grain bullet at these velocities is as light as I carry to go with the possibility of bumping into 350 lbs of grizzly within the 40 yard and less distances.
If the potential for three times plus that size, at those distances, the 375's and above get my vote. Just my comfort zone, with being aware of the 30-06 and the Kodiak record.

It seems as though with equal barrel lengths, the 8x68S & 325 WSM are about the same velocities with same bullet weights.

I am a definite fan of 325. I have carried my 325 a few times on unsuccessful moose outings. My personal view is 8mm with a 200 grain bullet at these velocities is as light as I carry to go with the possibility of bumping into 350 lbs of grizzly within the 40 yard and less distances.
If the potential for three times plus that size, at those distances, the 375's and above get my vote. Just my comfort zone, with being aware of the 30-06 and the Kodiak record.

Agreed. I bought my .325 specifically to have something lighter than my .375 when we lived in Alaska. I have used a .300, but IMO, the .325 or 8x68 is a better bet.

If I were doing it again, I would build an 8x68 as it has a significant magazine capacity advantage over the .325.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JameShiple

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!