8x68S owner's opinions

:DTwo of my favorite calibers, it's good to see that you are getting closer to finishing it. Looks like you're planning on using the 160gr TTSX with the 8x68s. I haven't tried it in the 8x68s but it is my primary bullet for the 8x57.

ZG47, it seems as time goes on getting more time to do what a person loves most like building rifles is moving to less time ...I really am trying to focus more on getting time to complete my rifle builds but there are a lot of other projects taking more time as well...currently busy building a knife blade belt grinder for a friend of mine ...
e6fd30a3-a774-4c6e-92f4-ad0c0dadf9d0.jpg
9d1609eb-8437-47c3-906b-6c4e0a7da963.jpg
b322dc62-732d-4c9f-9913-a2d4200a1998.jpg

:DTwo of my favorite calibers, it's good to see that you are getting closer to finishing it. Looks like you're planning on using the 160gr TTSX with the 8x68s. I haven't tried it in the 8x68s but it is my primary bullet for the 8x57.
dcchamp, yes, it truly are two of the best ever designed calibers for sure...I really love my 8x57JS, it has a devastating effect in bush veld hunting situations on game..it knocks game down like a giant sledge hammer...the 8x68S will also become like my 404 Jeffery my favorite hunting caliber ..

ZG47, it seems as time goes on getting more time to do what a person loves most like building rifles is moving to less time ...I really am trying to focus more on getting time to complete my rifle builds but there are a lot of other projects taking more time as well...currently busy building a knife blade belt grinder for a friend of mine ...
View attachment 394872
Hope you are going to put a hard face plate on that platen Gert. and make it replacable as it will develope a hollow right at the tool rest with continued use for profiling. My first platen I made from a piece of D2 and after about 400 plus blades I changed the way I did things to do the preliminary profiling on a 12 inch wheel and tool rest combination and then finished the profiling on the new (now replacable) hardened and 150c low temp tempered 1095 platen face plate.

Hallo Garry, great to hear from you ..Garry the new thing in the USA is a ceramic glass piece glued to the steel surface ..due to the extensive heat and wear a platten plate needs to be seen as a consumable item..so make a few of them for future use. The ceramic glass seems to be a great feature ..

Hallo Garry, great to hear from you ..Garry the new thing in the USA is a ceramic glass piece glued to the steel surface ..due to the extensive heat and wear a platten plate needs to be seen as a consumable item..so make a few of them for future use. The ceramic glass seems to be a great feature ..
They all wear though Gert and need a platform to support the underneath of them so you are not just relying on the glue.

Garry, I was thinking of experimenting with a Teflon sheet 6 to 8mm thick onto the steel platten surface..Teflon really is a durable and can resist wear as well. Another option for me is to make use of those industrial chrome bearings, cut it in halve and straighten it in my forge ..it is fifteen millimeters thick and nothing will be able to wear it down soon..I already picked up such a large industrial bearing on the scrap yard..that will be a great solution to this platten wearing out challenge for sure..I will us the outer or inner raceway part..and will even harden and temper it lightly ..

sure...

Agricultural-Machinery-Combine-Harvester-6034-OPEN-ZZ-RS-2RS-Single-Row-Deep-Groove-Ball-Bearing.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
will you use a surface grinder before HT to make sure it is straight and true

Garry, yes, I am fortunate to have access to a surface grinder . I will ask Johan Greyling if it will be possible to surface grind the hardened/tempered bearing surface when done. I am pretty sure this bearing surface will outlast a lot of sanding belts ..I have done a lot of forging with these bearings..if you are not able to get the forge heat up to high temperatures the bearing races crack and break . It is not an easy steel to forge due to all the chrome content and wear resistant properties but man these blades keep there sharpness once you get the blade sharp..and it really is a tough steel to drill . I use concrete drill bits sharpen to the 12 degree angle to enable me to drill through these bearing knife blade steel .

Has anyone played around with using Sierra 200gr HPBT in their 8x68s?
I know it's not really a bullet one would generally use for hunting, but I thought I would try a few and see what happens on paper. I need COL. I know velocities would range somewhere between 2600fps and 3000fps.
I was going to use the data from the Hornady manual using 196gr bullet, plus add about 2-3% on to the powder charges.
Tks

The standard COL is 3.425"/87.0mm. It would be best if you measured your cartridge to your barrel. Mine touches the lands at 3.70" with the 200gr SMK. Therefore the magazine is my restriction. 3.425" COL has worked well for most bullets I have used. Although 3.54" works best with the 250gr Woodleigh in my rifle.

The standard COL is 3.425"/87.0mm. It would be best if you measured your cartridge to your barrel. Mine touches the lands at 3.70" with the 200gr SMK. Therefore the magazine is my restriction. 3.425" COL has worked well for most bullets I have used. Although 3.54" works best with the 250gr Woodleigh in my rifle.
Tks. I have a BRNO 602 in 8x68s so I have copious amounts of room. I was going to try 3.410", 3.425 & 3.50". General consensus seems to be around 3.425".

My late Uncle had a Sauer 202 custom made in the Sauer custom shop in Germany ( along with a 7x64 and 9.3x62 )
High grade wood, thumb hole stocks, fluted bull barrels, jeweled bolts, all had Zeiss Diavari scopes on.
They where things of absolute beauty.
I shot all of them and then I used to drool excessively over these rifles.
They 8x68 recoil was stiff but not unbearable. This rifle with a 220 grain Woodleigh pole axed more than one Blue Wildebeest.
It literally used to drop them where they stood.

My late Uncle had a Sauer 202 custom made in the Sauer custom shop in Germany ( along with a 7x64 and 9.3x62 )
High grade wood, thumb hole stocks, fluted bull barrels, jeweled bolts, all had Zeiss Diavari scopes on.
They where things of absolute beauty.
I shot all of them and then I used to drool excessively over these rifles.
They 8x68 recoil was stiff but not unbearable. This rifle with a 220 grain Woodleigh pole axed more than one Blue Wildebeest.
It literally used to drop them where they stood.
Dale, those rifles were second to none..I really think it will not be easy to get hold of such rifles anymore

Hi 8x68, used the 200gr Sierra HPBT for long range untill I got my 338Lapua. COAL 3,615, 67gr of N550 with CCI 250 give 2.900ft/s from my R93.
SMK200.png

I used a target prepared for my 6XC, do not be confused.

Hi 8x68, used the 200gr Sierra HPBT for long range untill I got my 338Lapua. COAL 3,615, 67gr of N550 with CCI 250 give 2.900ft/s from my R93.View attachment 395881
Jan, I was wondering , while you have the 8x68S and shoot it extensively , when you got the .338 cal..is there a noticeable difference in bullet weight and velocities over the 300 meter distances and further out to 500 meters??

Gert, I would not have bought the 338 if high BC bullets were to be found in 8mm/.323.
The 8x68 starts at 2.900ft/s with a G1 BC of .520. At 500m it retains 2.020ft/s. The 338 I shoot with 300gr Berger OTM with G1 BC of .882, so totally incomparable, and retaining 2.070 ft/s from 2.720 V0. It is a real shame that the 8mm/.323 calibres are so hampered by lack of high BC bullets!

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: This the reason I was banned from an Afrikaans forum, Jaracal ....I pointed out to the members that their negative attitudes towards the 8mm /.323 caliber is unfounded , lack the knowledge needed to be done in this regards to even remotely be able to voice a credible opinion in regards tot he 8mm/.323 caliber and the rifle build in this caliber for long range shooting. All rifles/calibers came from the 8 x 57 or the 8MM Lebel designs. Designed by the best minds/brains in the world, the German Engineers. As well as pointed out to them that their believe in the .338 caliber is way overacted...saying this to an Afrikaans speaking person is like holding a red flag to a Spanish bull....since they have invented /owned the Spanish bull....

They really did not take it very well...I ruined their breakfast and dinner for them..so I was "dis-communicated by the ringleaders...

It still is the truth/relevant even today..as you pointed out..since it is a German design, better than any American or British design it was shunned since Hitler and the Natzi`s was Germans...
The irony being the 8x65S and the 6.5 x 68S was never used in the Military..it was designed by August Schuler ...an German gunsmith not a natzi of hitler ...

Gert, I would not have bought the 338 if high BC bullets were to be found in 8mm/.323.
The 8x68 starts at 2.900ft/s with a G1 BC of .520. At 500m it retains 2.020ft/s. The 338 I shoot with 300gr Berger OTM with G1 BC of .882, so totally incomparable, and retaining 2.070 ft/s from 2.720 V0. It is a real shame that the 8mm/.323 calibres are so hampered by lack of high BC bullets!
I totally agree. The only problem I can see with the 8mm is the lack of high BC bullets. The highest one I know of and use is the 220g Sierra Game King.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack849688

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg