8x68s build

DM Shooting

AH veteran
Reaction score
Website
www.dmshooting.co.uk
I've just been asked to build a 8x68s on a Mauser 98 action. Not a calibre I've played with before so ordered up some drill rounds and I'll find a reamer etc next week.

How much fiddling is there the guy assures me it was made for the Mauser but I'm not convinced the magazine box will be long enough and I know the feed lip will be to narrow.

So please own up who's done it and what have I let a friend talk me into?

John P.

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media

Harald Wolf had an article on building a 8x68 in Hatari Magazine. I will pull the magazine from my file cabinet later today and see what he did and possibly post info.

I think it was a 29 inch barreled Cape Rifle on a 98 action. The rare Cape Rifle style, not the cape gun which has a rifle and a shotgun barrel.

PS what are drill rounds? Dummy rounds for feeding checks?

Gert Odendaal

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SAJW
I had the same notion to build a 8x68S on a MOD 98 Mauser action...my mentor Johan Greyling advised me not to do it..remember , the 8x68S is a high powered rifle..and you have to remove an extensive amount of metal/opening up the length of the magazine well/magazine box...this is the reason I have embarked on a project where I am making use of 3D printed magnum bottom metal/ trigger guard /magnum magazine box en-longed by six millimeters that will fit on a standard Mauser action, to build a .500 Jeffery and to build calibers like the 8x68S caliber....it is part of the plan to do lost wax casting a lot of these magnum bottom metals/trigger guards and magnum ( 6 mm longer) magazine boxes...

Code4

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia, Zimbabwe, RSA (2), NZ (2), UK.
As Gert explained, its a lot of work. Cheaper to buy a factory rifle in that calibre.

DM Shooting

AH veteran
Reaction score
Website
www.dmshooting.co.uk
It can't be that much more than the 375 H&H? 2 more of those done this week, I see where people are coming from but some people thank god still like a classic Mauser based rifle.
My preference is to use Mayfair engineering action who build a magnum Mauser as used by Westleys Rigby Purdey etc but for this bulid funds won't allow him that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MutchRhys

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Pondoro wrote on Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS's profile.
Hello...could you please pm me regarding what species available on this fly-camp offer....can cape buffalo be taken for instance..? Trophy prices..?
matt vejar wrote on kevin masters's profile.
Kevin,
Played rookie league for the Yankees in Paintsville after winning the College World Series at Fullerton State, in1979. All I could think about was the movie “Deliverance”- lived up in a hollow with some other players. Refused to go on a moonshine run because it was a dry county-no way. Met some of the nicest people on the planet there! Van Lear the home of Loretta Lynn was highlight of summer LOL.
Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.