8x30/32 or 8x42

jpr9954

AH elite
Reaction score
Articles
Member of
NRA, SAF, SCI, DSC
I am thinking of upgrading my binoculars. I have a set of 8x42 Opmod binoculars which were made in China to Optics Planet's specs. They are OK and are easy to adjust. They weigh 26.75 oz.

What are the pro's and con's of going with something like a Zeiss Terra ED 8x32? They will be about 8-9 oz lighter and probably will have better glass. Is this enough of a savings in weight to make up for losing some field of view?

Would I be better to just upgrade to a better pair of 8x42s?

I'm not experienced in "glassing" like people out west as I hunt deer mostly from a tree stand or ground blind at the edges of small fields.

Thanks

Will they be primarily for the hunting you describe? Small is nice, but with a Bino harness the extra weight isn’t a big deal. I prefer a wider field of view and more light with a 42mm. A slightly heavier pair of binos is a bit less shaky.

bottom line is buy the best possible you can get, as they will likely outlast you!

Hi jpr,

I have, and have had, many binoculars and use them for the last 45 years for work in the range and for hunting.
One of them is a Meopta Meostar 8x32. One of my sons have a Zeiss Terra 8x32. Both are good, being the Meopta Meostar clearly better.
I don´t think there is a better general use binocular than a GOOD 8x30/8x32.

Good luck!

CF

Will they be primarily for the hunting you describe? Small is nice, but with a Bino harness the extra weight isn’t a big deal. I prefer a wider field of view and more light with a 42mm. A slightly heavier pair of binos is a bit less shaky.

bottom line is buy the best possible you can get, as they will likely outlast you!
I am thinking more about what I would want to take with me to Africa - Eastern Cape or Namibia - than hunting from a stand in North Carolina.

Hi jpr,

Then, a GOOD 8x32 will do all you need! Usually, the field of view in same brands 8x32 are a little bigger than in the 8x42! And, until almost dark, you will not detect any difference in what you can see between 8x32´s 4 mm exit pupil vs 8x42´s 5 mm one....
Invest all you can in a VERY GOOD 8x32!! I don´t know how much do you want to put in the binocular you are searching for, but my two candidates for the best relation of price to quality are
the Meopta Meostar 8x32 and/or Kowa Genesis 8x33. Practically the same optic and mechanic quality for nearly half the price of the BIG BRANDS!!

Good luck!

CF

I have spent a lot of time looking through binoculars. I'd urge you to pursue the best light transmission, then largest exit pupil you can afford for your intended use. There is nothing worse than a pair of binos that is out of light when you're trying to see something important. Ideally an 8x bino would have a very generous objective lens size 56mm or larger. Consider a pair of Steiner 7x50's. They will be just fine and with a wide strap you'll never know they're there. Remember that an 8mm exit pupil is the largest your eye can use.

Check out the ZEISS Conquest 8X32s if budget will allow the leap from the Terra.

Much better glass, flatter image, made in Germany, and no polycarbonate housing to break in half.

You will notice poor glass quality the first day you’re looking though your Binos all day in Africa.

The idea that you need a larger objective for more light is somewhat misleading.

Within reason - You need a larger objective for more light *if you have piss-poor glass to begin with.*

I personally use ZEISS SF 8x32s, those are a treat if you ever have a chance to put them in your hands.

Hi Angelo,

Agree. There is no need of more than a GOOD 8x32! And the Conquest HD is one of them!
Of course, your Zeiss SF is trully the top top of the cream!
Just for the record, the Conquest HD is made in Japan. Wich is, in no way!, a bad thing, just the opposite!!

8x32 plenty for what you describe. I am pretty snobbish when it comes to optics, but I have had to eat a pile of crow recently.

I am been shocked at the quality of Athlon optics. Their binos were absolutely fantastic and their higher scopes can compete with stuff I have that costs several times more. The build quality of some of these news brands is really amazing. I'm not selling my swaros or nightforce, but I can't justify them for any other reason than vanity at this point.

Hi Angelo,

Agree. There is no need of more than a GOOD 8x32! And the Conquest HD is one of them!
Of course, your Zeiss SF is trully the top top of the cream!
Just for the record, the Conquest HD is made in Japan. Wich is, in no way!, a bad thing, just the opposite!!

Greetings!

When did ZEISS stop making the Conquest HD Bino in Germany? That’s news to me. As far as I know, the line is still made there.

I know they make the Conquest V4 rifle scopes in Japan, which are fantastic as well. The Victory Pocket Binos are also now made in Japan, but that is a recent change in the last 2 years or so.

I have two pairs of the canon image stabilizing binoculars in an 8 x 30. With the image stabilizing capability, I can definitely see farther than some of my other larger binoculars. I hunt in alaska a lot where weight and size for everything you fly in with is a priority. I won’t go anywhere without those binoculars. They’re the best I’ve ever used. clear, lightweight, small, and you can see a looong way. just my humble opinion, gentlemen.

The military has always used 7x50's for low light conditions because young men's eyes can take advantage of the 7mm exit pupil. Our old eyes can achieve about a 5mm exit pupil, so an 8x42 suits us well, giving us all the light we are capable of taking in..
With 8x30 (~3.7mm exit pupil) we may do fine in the open at mid day. But at dawn and dusk or if the game is in the shadows, then the 8x30 will hamper our ability to make out the target.
Exit pupil = objective lense diameter / magnification , the same formula goes for scopes.

The military has always used 7x50's for low light conditions because young men's eyes can take advantage of the 7mm exit pupil. Our old eyes can achieve about a 5mm exit pupil, so an 8x42 suits us well, giving us all the light we are capable of taking in..
With 8x30 (~3.7mm exit pupil) we may do fine in the open at mid day. But at dawn and dusk or if the game is in the shadows, then the 8x30 will hamper our ability to make out the target.
Exit pupil = objective lense diameter / magnification , the same formula goes for scopes.
This is good information. My eyes are 60 years plus old.

Hi jorge,

Try yourself, if you are able to, an 8x32 vs 8x42 of the same quality, with the first, or last light. Better at dusk until all light is gone. And then, taking all factors in consideration, you decides.
As I told you, after 45 years of binocular use, and for your intended one, MY recomendación is to get the best 8x32 you can buy. THE basic binocular: light enough, small enough, with the correct and most versatile magnification. And a 4 mm exit pupil is, for us, +60 years old, more than ample!
I am not saing an 8x32 is a night binocular, of course! But if is a good quality one, it is very good enough for all other situations, including low light ones!

Good luck!

CF

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkNen

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross