8 x 51 K Mauser Loads

Frederik Badenhorst

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hi guys!

Does anyone have a pet load for the above mentioned calibre.

I currently have 200gr Woodleigh’s in .318” on hand.

Cheers

F

Hi Scrumbag

I have a beautiful original sporting Type K Mauser in 8x51Kurz.
It was one of a few calibres for which These guns were chambered.
The others was the 250 Savage and 6.5x54 Mauser.
It is supposed to shoot a .318 196gr bullet at 2099fps.

IMG_0500.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Cartridges of the World used to have some data. I can look up the issues that I have, if you would like me to do so; plus anything else that I can dig up from my library. It will probably take me at least 36 hours (including sleep) from start to finish. Beyond that ... .300 Savage loads would probably be a useful starting point.

#ZG47 Thank you so much!

I had a look at my copy of COTW and could not find a specific load. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

@Frederik Badenhorst Cartridges of the World (COTW) 3rd ed. (1972), 6th ed. (1989) and 12th ed. (2009) all loading data, as follows:
125gr 30 grains of 4198, MV 2370, ME 1560; and
150gr 41 grains of 4064, MV 2350, ME 1840.
The use of .316” - .318” diameter bullets is recommended.

The 150gr is comparable to the 158gr factory load listed at 2380 fps and 1840 ME and would appear to be developing similar pressure to the factory 196gr load listed at 2,099 fps. The 157gr factory load listed at 2155 fps may have been a lighter load developed for the 8x51 R round.

You appear to have two choices: firstly, to continue your historical research by looking for books/articles published primarily between 1930 and 1960 and/or;
secondly, to work with someone who uses the Load From a Disk software package in order to calculate a suitable starting load.
I suspect that either H4350 or a close equivalent would be the most suitable propellant. Best of luck.

Last edited:
@ZG47 Thanks again!

I appreciate that you took the time to look at your data.

The challenge is always going to be in finding 150gr bullets that is .318" calibre.

I do have a supply of .318" 200gr bullets from Woodleigh as I reload for the 8x57I as well.

I will run H 4350 in my Quickloads program and see what it kicks out.

Cheers

@Frederik Badenhorst No problem. I knew that COTW 3rd ed. reproduced historical German catalogue pages although in this instance I could only locate an image of the 8x51 case and basic dimensions thereof. I have other reference sources on older cartridges but none of them relate directly to the subject cartridge.

Jacketed bullets can be swaged up or down BUT you should have a chat with a reliable long term maker of jacketed-bullet swaging dies before going down that road. My big handloading press is an Australian Simplex O frame that is specifically rated for bullet swaging. The big Lyman O frame press that has been around for decades has essentially the same proportions and either that machine or a close equivalent should be ideal for the job.

Barnes described the 8x51 as being in the .30-30 class BUT I consider it to be closer to the .300 Savage and that is a key reason why I was trying to get you the best possible info. Have fun.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross