8-bore Rifle Barrels For Sale

Wildcatter

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
I have a few barrel blanks for sale. I have been working on an 8-bore double rifle project for the past few years; building a rifled barrel set for a London-proofed Jones underlever 8-bore shotgun. We had no luck finding a source for cut-rifled barrels in the proper caliber so we had tooling made up to button rifle some. Four of the nine barrels that were made are for sale.

The blanks are 4140 steel, 26” long and 1.625” diameter. Twist rate is 1 turn in 50” that will stabilize a lead bullet up to 1.5” in length (1600-1800 grain bullet maximum). Groove diameter is 0.850” and bore diameter is 0.840”. I chose 11 lands and grooves as many H&H and Rodda rifles for which I have seen data had that number. The grooves are about twice as wide as the lands as were most of the original 8 and 4 bore rifles I have seen.

I am using a 1335 grain mold for the regulation load for my rifle. This mold, and another throwing a 1050 gr plinking bullet :), was made by Accurate Molds. I highly recommend their molds as they are truly works of art. These molds only cost $100 each, shockingly inexpensive for the quality of the molds. Both molds drop bullets of 0.852” diameter with wheel weight lead that fits perfectly in cases made by Rocky Mountain Cartridge Company. I also had a brass round ball mold made by Tanner’s in England that drops a ball of 0.856” diameter for use with my build.

I would like $600 per barrel, plus shipping. The blanks are in Montana and will ship only to the US.

Please send me a private message if you have interest. I’m happy to share photos via email. I am also happy to share pressure test data and any other load and proof information with buyers of these barrels.

Thanks,

RC

Last edited:
C376DDCF-6E88-43BE-B2A9-C51231E52CAB.jpeg
3D3000F1-3BAA-4320-9A1B-1F5C868523B0.jpeg
72979B06-331E-4A4D-822C-EAFAB1C631B4.jpeg

Thanks bud, awesome barrels, wish you had them when I got mine made 10yrs ago, still waiting to fit them yet .

How is your rifle going ?

Thanks bud, awesome barrels, wish you had them when I got mine made 10yrs ago, still waiting to fit them yet .

How is your rifle going ?
The barrel set is getting built as we speak. My new chamber reamer has actually shipped and is on its way after almost a year on order! I’m waiting on 50 new prices of brass. I’ll bet I’ll have loads assembled for proof and regulation before Christmas.

Wow great news, just use the Winchester or Remington Industrial cases bud, work great & cheap, I use them in my 8Ga Tolley to shoot bird & loaded a few RB to test it works .

What Proofing load are you using, also are you loading Blue Dot or Black Powder ?

Mine is to be Nitro & RB for less recoil & ease of loading .

Wow great news, just use the Winchester or Remington Industrial cases bud, work great & cheap, I use them in my 8Ga Tolley to shoot bird & loaded a few RB to test it works .

What Proofing load are you using, also are you loading Blue Dot or Black Powder ?

Mine is to be Nitro & RB for less recoil & ease of loading .
My loads will be in the range of 65-70gr of Blue Dot with that 1335gr bullet. Those loads pressure tested between 14-17 kpsi. I really can’t wait to get this build done!!! I plan to hunt hogs in a thickly vegetated canyon in west Texas with the 16-lb rifle to condition myself for a Buffalo hunt.

for those interested, Cal Pappas just posted a video this past summer of his Buffalo hints with his 8 and 4-bore rifles. Must see!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JudeWjg34

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross