Kenneth McMillan

AH veteran
Reaction score
Articles
Member of
Safari Club International
Hunted
Norway, Scotland, Canada and Ireland
I have noticed on the blaser website that they have 8.5x55 Blaser Calibre in the R8 rifle. They say it is suitable for Moose and Large Antelopes such as Eland, Waterbuck, Kudu, Sable and Roan. It fires a .338 bullet in 230 grains. Now where legal would it be suitable for lion and leopard?

From what I have read on this,it almost matches a .318 WR but with a much shorter barrel. Seems absolutely perfect for plains game and I see is now available in Sauer rifles as well.

I am not sure what it is about the case design that makes it so suitable for a short barrel, but I imagine it is the short, fat case.

Is anyone using a 8.5x55? I suspect that the only downside to them would be ammunition availability.

Sounds like an interesting cartridge! Probably going to be a proprietary one though.

The 8.5x55 Blaser wouldn't kill anything that a 8x57, a 30.06 or a 8x68 couldn't.

But with all the alternatives life is much cheaper and easier in sense of factory ammunition...

Personally I would never buy a rifle in this proprietary caliber because of that...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
glucoslime

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.