7x64

7x57Joe

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Anyone have some super good loads for the 7x64 they would like to share? Thanks

I'd like to see the gun that shoots it. We don't see many in the states and they are usually beautiful European guns!

I have a Stainless Zastava M70 in 7x64. I haven't played with much. Most accurate load so far is:
46.3gr IMR 4064
Hornady 139gr SST
Hornady Case
Federal 210 primers
I fired strings of 3 shots.
Avg velocity was 2740fps
Best group was 0.85"

I'll post a pic a bit later of the rifle.

I haven't had it but about 3 weeks. I was searching for a full stock 7x57 when a friend put me onto this 7x64. He said that I could always load it to a x57 but, the x57 couldn't reach x64 status. My rifle isn't anything special for looks but, the way it shoots makes it very special to me.:A Thumbs Up:
As requested, here is my CZ-550FS 7x64:

Attachments

• DSCN0408_zps7dptuolp.jpg
    DSCN0408_zps7dptuolp.jpg
    296.1 KB · Views: 867
  • DSCN0409_zpsxtid0zew.jpg
    DSCN0409_zpsxtid0zew.jpg
    356.4 KB · Views: 728
It's not a European classic but here is my 7x64. Zastava M70 PSS.

Attachments

• IMG_0201.jpg
    IMG_0201.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 2,232
  • IMG_0202.jpg
    IMG_0202.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 1,539
I haven't had it but about 3 weeks. I was searching for a full stock 7x57 when a friend put me onto this 7x64. He said that I could always load it to a x57 but, the x57 couldn't reach x64 status. My rifle isn't anything special for looks but, the way it shoots makes it very special to me.:A Thumbs Up:

Nice. I'd like to find one in a BRNO 600

I don't believe they imported to the U.S. 7x64 Zastavas. Probably to keep Joe Snuffy from shooting .280 in it.:)

Too bad. Granted it's not a CZ but still a good strong Mauser action.

I have a Brno 21H and a Sako M85 Bavarian in 7x64. I really like the cartridge.

Both rifles have throats so long that a 160 grain bullet is almost entirely out of the case before it touches the rifling. As a result, factory ammo can be somewhat lower than expected velocity and hand loads can be a grain or two higher than some data would indicate is a "max" load. Max length is determined by the magazine in my rifles, 3.3" or less. Accuracy in both rifles is good, around 1-1.5" at 100 yards without taking very exceptional care in the aiming. I see you are in the USA. Load data with common USA components is not easy to come by in North America. The Hornady manual actually lists data for the 7x65R, but shot in a bolt action - not the 7x64. I think they made an error - a rimmed cartridge in a bolt action repeating rifle is almost never done - so I don't really trust their data. I don't think the Lee load manual data is worth looking at either, all they did was use 280 Rem data and reduce the recommended loads.

My two favourite hand loads are as follows:

Norma brass, 57 gr. VV N160 powder, 160 gr. Nosler Partition, Rem 9-1/2 primer 2850 fps ( Vihtavuori published data max. is 57.3 gr and 2900 fps) Accurate, fast, & deadly.

Remington brass, 56 gr. IMR 4831 powder, 160 gr. Speer GS or BT or 160 Sierra BT, or 160 Nosler PT or Accubond. Rem 9-1/2 primer, 2850 fps
This load was developed by me with the experimental "test and try" method, and is perfectly safe in MY rifles. Remington brass is a little heavier ( thicker ) than Norma. ( RWS brass is even thicker/heavier hence less capacity) The same 3 Remington cases were used in max. load safety testing and shot/reloaded repeatedly with no sign of excess pressure and primer pockets still tight after 10 times shot/reloaded - but please work up in your rifle from a few grains below and watch for over pressure signs. I can use one more grain of powder in Norma cases and probably would use one less (55 gr) in the RWS cases, but testing continues with RWS.

I have no experience with the caliber but have heard good things. I know Victor @Karoo Wild Safaris has one perhaps he would have some insight

I have one, a super rifle with low recoil. I haven't hand loaded for it yet. Too scared of confusing it with my .270 :) during loading.

I have one, a super rifle with low recoil. I haven't hand loaded for it yet. Too scared of confusing it with my .270 :) during loading.

I know that feeling all too well , growing up in a family where a few of us had .270 and my dad having both a .270, 30-06, and a .25-06 on hand, we grew up being constantly taught /reminded to always check headstamps. I still stay in the habit.

I dig the stock. I'd like to have a rifle with the mannilicher stock stock one day. Tis a beauty

I absolutely love this cartridge !
Mild shooting, flat and hard hitting.

Up to this point I've been getting through several hundred factory rounds that I bought initially just for the brass and am still using them.
Even with a relatively soft 140gn bullet it knocks the snot out of big boars.

I've stashed in several hundred 140gn TSX's in preparation for loading.

My rifle is a 50's FN Mauser put together by Duomolin that shoots 1/2" groups.

Euh yes, Magic you have with Hornady 162grain ELD-X, 49,5 grain Tubal7000,COL 82mm speedtest 810m/s

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickolasAr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg