7x64 Brenneke - Opinions

bob
too much for me to shoot, and i don't want to use a brake.
plus i have about 400 brass given to me.those big rounds need a specialized rifle to take advantage of their ballistics, and such a rifle is unsuitable for 90% of general use.
i would however like a +/- 3"point blank of 300 yds to aim dead on camels.
bruce.
You should get that just fine with the 340 Wby

bob
too much for me to shoot, and i don't want to use a brake.
plus i have about 400 brass given to me.those big rounds need a specialized rifle to take advantage of their ballistics, and such a rifle is unsuitable for 90% of general use.
i would however like a +/- 3"point blank of 300 yds to aim dead on camels.
bruce.
Bruce
My 25 sighted 2 inches high at at 100 is still 2inches high at 200 and 2 inches or less at 300 depending on projectiles and 10 inches low at 400 but not enough power for you. Your STW should be similar.,
Bob

bob,
without doing the numbers, i suspect your 25 is a bit flatter.
however the balance of power and trajectory of the stw has suited some applications well for many years.
while it is quite effective on camels, the 9,3 is a more reliable bang flop killer, but lacks the point blank range.
maybe the 340 would be a compromise with 250 gn good bullets.
you have to carry it a bit, and surprisingly shoot offhand a fair bit due to bushes, but still reach out.
the good bullets might be more important at 100 yds than 300 yds in a faster cartridge.
bruce.

bob,
without doing the numbers, i suspect your 25 is a bit flatter.
however the balance of power and trajectory of the stw has suited some applications well for many years.
while it is quite effective on camels, the 9,3 is a more reliable bang flop killer, but lacks the point blank range.
maybe the 340 would be a compromise with 250 gn good bullets.
you have to carry it a bit, and surprisingly shoot offhand a fair bit due to bushes, but still reach out.
the good bullets might be more important at 100 yds than 300 yds in a faster cartridge.
bruce.
Barnes LRX 250 grs would be ideal

I have one as my go to deer, PG and competition target rifle. I love the thing. I home load and use the accubond LR in 168grn. I have a 100yrd zero and at 200 yards I only need to add 3/4 moa

I shoot a couple of 7x57’s. A 7x64 might be referred to as a 7x57 on steroids !
I agree. Or it can be looked at as a sexy lady with longer legs then your standard issue sexy lady :LOL::LOL:

And yet it is still not the 280 AI...some might say the hot redhead in a room full of 7mm blondes
I got mine as the offer was too good to turn down. I have no regrets but if there was a 280AI on offer at the same time for the same sort of money I would've gone for it (I have a weakness for redheads)

True, but that ginger is more expensive to wine and dine ;)
A good friend (RIP Pieter) once said rusty roof = damp basement

the 7x64 and 280 rem can be zeroed +2.5" at 100 yds for a dead on zero at 250, and aim dead on out to 300 with 140 gn bullets.
there are 140s of different construction to make such loads quite versatile on most deer type and sized game.
in this zone you have a very useful rifle, covering a broad spectrum of game and distances.
for my 280, i have loads for 140 partitions for light game like goats to fallow, including pigs.
then up to 140 woodleigh, and then 140 barnes.
i also have a stash of 140 nosler solid base which are a better bullet than when they added a plastic point to make the ballistic tip for lighter to middle end use.
from there you can sacrifice a bit of trajectory and go up to 160 gns on bigger game, again with bullets of different construction for added versatility.
bruce.

the 280 ai is faster than the 280, but it might be an unfair comparison.
reason being that the comparison might be unfair.
saami pressures for the 280 are kept low, while the ai is loaded to higher pressure.
in common sense handloads the difference becomes much less.
bruce.

And yet it is still not the 280 AI...some might say the hot redhead in a room full of 7mm blondes

I used to feel that way, but can I tell you what I HATE about the 280AI and blame Nosler for completely?

they ruined the caliber! The .280AI has accepted specifications for decades as a wildcat and all the reamers and dies conformed to that standard. Nosler roles in and gets the .280AI un-wildcatted by making it a SAAMI specified production round. Except that Nosler .280AI is .004” different and doesn’t mirror the specs of the original. So if you get a .280AI you have to specify “original” or “Nosler” and then chase ammunition. That is what has damaged an otherwise amazing round.

I used to feel that way, but can I tell you what I HATE about the 280AI and blame Nosler for completely?

they ruined the caliber! The .280AI has accepted specifications for decades as a wildcat and all the reamers and dies conformed to that standard. Nosler roles in and gets the .280AI un-wildcatted by making it a SAAMI specified production round. Except that Nosler .280AI is .004” different and doesn’t mirror the specs of the original. So if you get a .280AI you have to specify “original” or “Nosler” and then chase ammunition. That is what has damaged an otherwise amazing round.
I was under the impression that "original" 280 AI could still fire in a nosler chambering but not the other way around. Or maybe I have that backward.

I was under the impression that "original" 280 AI could still fire in a nosler chambering but not the other way around. Or maybe I have that backward.

from what I understand, factory ammo is for Nosler rifles. You cannot buy factory ammo for a non-Nosler pattern rifle. Talk about damaging an amazing caliber! Can you imagine if 35 Whalen wouldn’t chamber in any gun made as a 35 Whelen before 1988 or any custom rifles? We’d be outraged.

from what I understand, factory ammo is for Nosler rifles. You cannot buy factory ammo for a non-Nosler pattern rifle. Talk about damaging an amazing caliber! Can you imagine if 35 Whalen wouldn’t chamber in any gun made as a 35 Whelen before 1988 or any custom rifles? We’d be outraged.
From what I have read, the Nosler design is better than the "original"

From what I have read, the Nosler design is better than the "original"
not so.
in their own right they are both equal.
the big advantage of the original is that std 280 rem ammunition can be fired in the ackley chamber.
it will just fireform with no headspace issues.
thgis is because the old chamber was a crush fit on the std case, as were all ackleys, 250/300, 25/06, 30/06, 270, 220 swift etc.
the nosler version has longer headspace, and the only way to fireform std cases is to seat bullets hard into the rifling with much neck tension.
firing a 280 rem, or an original ackley round in the nosler chamber will present incipient head seperations.
the ability to fire std rounds in a proper ackley chambers offers backup should you run out of ammo.
nosler should not have named the cartridge as ackley improved as it is not such.
rookhawk is right.
the original "beanfield rifles" built by kenny jarrett were popular in original 280 ackley.
from those rifles came the sendero type of rifle, which is basically a vermint rifle in a hunting rifle calibre so popular today.
they are absolute pigs of things to shoot offhand, as the balance so badly.
bruce.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
outlookindia012

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg