7x64 Brenneke - Opinions

My 7s not only have the right twist even for light bullets, they seem to not be as accurate with the heavies. I'm talking 1.5 MOA vs. bugeyes that I was used to with other rifles. But I do not shoot as well as when I was young so it could be me. Also the commercial Mauser from 1936 has shorter barrel and shoots 3/4 MOA and with most ammo...so we will see if any particular handloads improve either gun. If the longer one does not shoot, no matter, I have other barrels to put on it. Good point on the bullet volume though.

my little experience with the 7x64 was in s. africa two years ago, i watched 3 animals shot with it with 160 gr barnes triple shocks. one blue wildebeest, one gemsbok and one impala. all one shot kills by my friend lew, my PH said it was very like a 280 rem. i was impressed.

my little experience with the 7x64 was in s. africa two years ago, i watched 3 animals shot with it with 160 gr barnes triple shocks. one blue wildebeest, one gemsbok and one impala. all one shot kills by my friend lew, my PH said it was very like a 280 rem. i was impressed.

That’s exactly what it’s like. Perfect account and analogy for the readers.

I agree with you John Telford, but I would add 7x57Mauser and 9,3x62Mauser.
All the best.
This I agree with Witold. They are all great calibers. I think I could live with 7x64 (actual experience-based decision pending) and 9.3x62/64. But I am really fond of 7x57 and 8x57 so I will keep at least one of those. Being in Canada I should probably stick to 30-06/.300WM and .375H&H...but hey... :D

This I agree with Witold. They are all great calibers. I think I could live with 7x64 (actual experience-based decision pending) and 9.3x62/64. But I am really fond of 7x57 and 8x57 so I will keep at least one of those. Being in Canada I should probably stick to 30-06/.300WM and .375H&H...but hey... :D

how could a proper Canadian omit .280 Ross and .303 Brit from the list of storied cartridges!? Those two are legendary and came equipped on very nice best grade British sporting arms. Oh, and they were with your best men at Normandy beach too.

Lol. Bourn and bred in Czechia. Transplanted to Canada. Have accent, sound offensive, don't understand British based culture much....hahahaha...could never get over rimmed cartridges (other than rimfire) stacked in a magatzine....but i drink tea, will admit that every Enfield i shot, shot very well (but so did a mile long Simonov with its rimmed cartridges)...and 280 Ross is....nice!!!!....yet I'm a Brno/CZ/Mauser snob by heart. Must be that clsoe proximity to Germany I grew up in.

Does anyone have a good load for 156 grain Norma Oryx bullets?

Thanks,

Jeff

The beauty about the 7x64 lies in its versatility, it can be loaded up or down and comes very close to being the caliber of choice if you were only allowed to own one Rifle! In SA you are generally allowed 2 rifles unless you are a Certified dedicated hunter. I advise newbies that at least one of these should be the 7x64.

As much as I think 175 gr .284 bullets are the bees knees in small bore, I'd think a 160 gr AF or NP at 2700 fps would be be pretty effective. A 10 twist should be plenty for that length bullet.
@Sgt Zim
Loaded properly the 280 is more than capable of 2,900 fps with a 160grain projectiles. A 160grain accubond @2,900 fps would be ideal.
Just my thoughts
Bob

zim,
2 nice gifts for your daughter, made in America, and with 7x64 ballistics.
rem 700 stainless steel in 280 rem is just crying out to hunt red stag in the land of the long white cloud, and has a bell & Carlson stock.
a very fine gift would be a mod 70 supergrade wood stock, also in 280 rem.
imr4831, re19, or re22, will get you where you want to go for speed and pressure.
the twists on these might interest you.
@bruce moulds
Mate you have forgotten the other beautiful USA made rifle.
The Number Montana in 280 Remington topped with a luppy 2.5 to8. Ideal mountain rifle for the sarges daughter.
Bob

well, the idea is a righty for my daughter, and a lefty for me. Any lefty in 280 Rem is going to be a custom gun, which will wind up costing about the same as just buying a Sako 85 Hunter. I love my Tikka, so I expect I'll love a Sako even more.
Sgt Zim
Left hand savage and put on a 280 or 7x64 barrel. Great rifles.

clodo,
interesting posts.
freebore and throat angles can affect pressures in a big way.
obviously the 7x64 chamber will allow stiffer loads, all else being equal.
whether this means more velocity, only testing would reveal.
your comment re 7x57 in a 30/06 length action reflect a question I have re the 9.3x64 if it were chambered in a 375 length action.
it would certainly free up powder space for the long 286 gn barnesx.
bruce.
@bruce moulds
Mate I can hear the brain ticking over for your next rifle. A super 9.3x64 on a magnum length action.
Bob

yes...oddly enough I too feel the 7x57, as great as it is, is not the most accurate round I have seen. I will see what handloads can do but if it becomes hard to find the sweet spot I will leave it alone.
@Milan
My gunsmith would disagree with you on the accuracy of the 7x57.
He shoots a M96 in 7x57 with a 29 inch barrel and open sights. His 300 yard groups have to be seen to be believed. Nothing over 3 inches. Problem is he is just a bloody good shot
Bob

bob,
i think my next experiment will be a 340 wby when i shoot out the 7mmstw.
just a new barrel.
it will have a bit of reach for shooting bigger things in open desert country.
bruce.
@bruce moulds
Why not just go a 338/378 or a 338 ultra mag mate. Go big or go home they should cure your itch for a big 338. Just got to find somewhere to use them in OZ.
Bob

bob
too much for me to shoot, and i don't want to use a brake.
plus i have about 400 brass given to me.those big rounds need a specialized rifle to take advantage of their ballistics, and such a rifle is unsuitable for 90% of general use.
i would however like a +/- 3"point blank of 300 yds to aim dead on camels.
bruce.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg