United States, South Africa, Zambia

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-07 at 9.09.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-07 at 9.09.30 PM.png
    772.4 KB · Views: 117
  • Screen Shot 2020-10-07 at 9.09.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-07 at 9.09.33 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 136
I use a 7x57 for whitetail hunting, but usually use Remington ammo, or reloaded ammo, most of my hunting is in the thick northern swamps, I believe the remingtons are140 grain or so, I have not tried the Prvi though, be interested in hearing how they work out for you.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-07 at 9.10.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-07 at 9.10.22 PM.png
    772.4 KB · Views: 87
  • Screen Shot 2020-10-07 at 9.10.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-07 at 9.10.24 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 109
Shot a lot of them on paper... but never have used them on a hunt... I basically use them as inexpensive range ammo.. and then reload the brass with Barnes TTSX for hunting with my 7x57...

They group reasonably well in my rifle.. and the brass is good quality... I have no doubt ppu will easily taken down a whitetail...

I’m sure it will work, but wouldn’t be my first choice.

I definitely agree not my first or best choice. For anything larger than small southern whitetail or hog I hand load 160 Gr Swift A-Frames. For whitetail hunting and hogs I have always used Remington Core-lokt with zero issues. Being the PPU is more than half the price of the Core-lokt I was inquiring on its effectiveness.

No experience with that cartridge but, I hear a lot of people say PPU is good brass and good value. I have used it in .308 and .300wm on pigs, it works.

I like the effect my 7mm-08 has on pigs and it’s considered the ballistic twin of 7x57.

139gn Winchester soft points work in the 7mm-08 and I expect the PPU 7x57 will do what you’re asking with shot placement.

Unless you have expensive fees attached to the hunt I would say give it a go.

It’s nice to buy premium projectiles compare performance and feel secure they will secure the goods but soft points took a lot of game before the technology and price increased.

here is a place where the 140 gn nosler partition would be good.
you will get expansion on smaller animals, and they don't have the bone to cause the partition to fail as it can on big bones.
it is easy to over bullet yourself on smaller game.
bruce,

Those should be perfectly adequate for whitetail deer . The very first American whitetail deer which I have ever shot , was hunted with a 7x57 mm Mauser . I used Winchester Super X 175 grain soft nosed cup & core factory loads .
3F1D2201-53CB-4608-937C-937330207527.jpeg

Currently , my favorite 7x57 mm factory load happens to be the 175 grain Nosler Partition factory load which is manufactured by Sellier & Bellot .

Absolutely beautiful calibre , the 7x57 mm Mauser is .

I have used the privi ammo in 303, 308 and 9.3x62. All are hunting accurate not target shooting accurate and performance on white tails has been outstanding. Between the 3 calibers I have taken about 2 dozen deer all one shot kills with complete pass throughs. I am currently looking for a newer winchester model 70 featherweight in 7x57. Good hunting.

I have used the privi ammo in 303, 308 and 9.3x62. All are hunting accurate not target shooting accurate and performance on white tails has been outstanding. Between the 3 calibers I have taken about 2 dozen deer all one shot kills with complete pass throughs. I am currently looking for a newer winchester model 70 featherweight in 7x57. Good hunting.
Was actually going to say this about their accuracy. I've shot paper with them, several different calibers over the course of many years. None of the guns I have used gave me a lot of confidence with this ammo for "stretching the envelope ". Where I hunt now is mostly thick woods, and their accuracy would be adequate. As far as bullet construction, I have no idea due to the fact I've never hunted with them. I've read and heard from guys that have used them with good results though.

My son used the PPU in my 6.5x54mm M-S carbine. No problem. I've used it on deer in a 9.3 and of course it worked.

I have had good luck loading several different calibers with PPU brass. I came into several boxes of these and plan to use it on whitetail size game. I don't know if this line is being imported to the the US anymore.
thumbnail_20201008_074150.jpg

6.5x55 PPU worked great on impala & warthog for me... would suspect PPU 7x57 in just about any grain bullet would be great for WT

I've used PPU 375H&H and 300WM for target practice.
Both have returned reasonable results, but not pin point accuracy.
So to answer your question, I've not used PPU 7x57 on Deer.

I would lean more toward what @mdwest mentioned.
Shooting, saving the brass and reloading with a quality bullet.
The bullet is arguably the least expensive part of any hunt.
So why pinch pennies when you are looking to harvest a game animal?

I believe you owe it to the animal to make a clean a kill as possible.
Using ammo that is "possibly good enough" is not my brand.
This is not a judgement on you, just my view on it.
To each his own.

OMG Bruce you actually gave a recommendation for NP. I am worried.
here is a place where the 140 gn nosler partition would be good.
you will get expansion on smaller animals, and they don't have the bone to cause the partition to fail as it can on big bones.
it is easy to over bullet yourself on smaller game.
bruce,

I've used PPU 375H&H and 300WM for target practice.
Both have returned reasonable results, but not pin point accuracy.
So to answer your question, I've not used PPU 7x57 on Deer.

I would lean more toward what @mdwest mentioned.
Shooting, saving the brass and reloading with a quality bullet.
The bullet is arguably the least expensive part of any hunt.
So why pinch pennies when you are looking to harvest a game animal?

I believe you owe it to the animal to make a clean a kill as possible.
Using ammo that is "possibly good enough" is not my brand.
This is not a judgement on you, just my view on it.
To each his own.

Pretty interesting post. Yeah wounding animals is not ”my brand” either. And your absolutely right to each their own. I started the discussion on a cheaper brand of ammunition to hear what others had to say and how it’s being used. I hand load and could absolutely load up an A-frame or Oryx. I do believe this is over kill on your average southeastern whitetail. Core-lokts and Interlocks seem to do a great job. Looking across the retailers on in stock ammunition I believed the discussion could prove beneficial for some as options maybe limited.

OMG Bruce you actually gave a recommendation for NP. I am worried.
there is a time and a place for everything.
the n.p. is an excellent smaller game/small boned game bullet.
if you have a big gun, often you will be overbulleted, and here is where the n.p. can be handy.
it will make a big gun into a better smaller gun.
bruce.

I have a couple hundred animals that say you are wrong. But maybe we can agree to stop flogging this dead horse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MUABritney

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross