Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
British Association of Shooting and Conservation
Hunted
England, Scotland, Namibia and Finland
I am considering buying an additional barrel for my Schultz and Larsen 30-06; probably in one of the calibres.
It would mainly be used for deer, with shots being taken at a maximum range of 250 yards, but also possibly plains game.
The 7x57 would seem to fit the bill, and I like the idea of using such an old chamfering, but would a 7x64 be a more pragmatic choice? I don't hand load, so would be reliant on factory ammunition.
I realise that this is probably no right or wrong answer to this, but it would be good to hear from users of either calibre.

The 7x64 is definitely one of my favorite cartridges. If I may (I really hate it when people do this), if you're considering the .275, might I rather suggest a 6.5 swede? You already have your '06 and the 6.5 would add a little more diversity than the 7mm while still being a good second if your '06 decides to misbehave. Otherwise, to answer your question: If you don't mind a bit more of a kick, the brenneke is amazing and I would definitely suggest you get one.

@Donnachaidh I have probably mentioned this before but an acquaintance of mine hunted wapiti in Mongolia about 15 years back and then supplemented his NZ guiding business by taking several groups to that country for the same purpose. He reported that most shots were at distances greater than 200m and sometimes up to 400m. He also reported that the most common centrefire sporting rifle in Mongolia was the ZKK 600, chambered in 7x64. This ties in well with its apparent popularity for alpine hunting in Europe and the reported German proposal to develop it as a sniper cartridge during WWII.

For what you intend to do, it is a toss up, in my opinion. Either cartridge would appear to be ideal for your purposes. Have fun with the rifle you choose and please show us some pictures.

Last edited by a moderator:
As an example in the USA:

Largest internet ammo dealer shows 12 options for 7x57 loaded ammunition and 6 options in stock.

Same dealer shows 4 options for 7x64 with 2 options in stock.

Not sure if you're in the USA or if you buy factory ammo, but if that matters I'd say the 7x57 wins that battle.

If you're in South Africa on safari, I'd say the odds of finding a few rounds of 7x57 so your hunt isn't wasted would be much, much higher than finding 7x64 ammunition.

I cannot speak for the European market for 7x64 but the Europeans have some fantastic 7x57 loads from RWS and S&B that are excellent.

I think that old classic 7 x 57 is very good.
Witold
Witold,thats true,but when you would hunt on long range distances,I would take the 7x64 .
With a 123 gr bullet you have a V0 from 970 m/s.
Foxi

You're right Foxi, but 7 x 57 from RWS with bullet KS (123 gr) have Vo 900 m / s.
I think that for an old classic is very good.
That is why I prefer 7 x 57.
All the best.
Witold

I'm based in the UK, and neither calibre is that popular here, it tends to mainly be 243, 308 and 6.5x55. I will probably have to bulk buy ammunition, but I don't mind doing that, or maybe I'll have to start home-loading.

my favorite is the 7x57 , however I believe that the 7x64 can do more than the 7x57 and that is shoot flatter at longer distances as well as the 7x64 can be down loaded to slower speeds for thicker bush and closer range hunting .

I had a custom 7x57 built and loved it. I took Red Deer and numerous feral camels. It was my primary hunting rifle for 7 years. I loaded everything from 140 to 175's. I have also shot a 7x64. Both are really a handloading proposition outside of europe.

Too be honest (despite the history often cited on the web) its really good at deer/sheep or small plains game size animals up to and including Red Deer in size. Its versatility is that it 'can' take larger animals with the heavier projectiles when used sensibly. Its not what range you will use it over, but how long the throat is and what projectiles will shoot accurately in it. Not all throats are equal. This determines trajectory because of the 'realistic' velocities you get from it. I'm talking real world hunting not paper ballistics.

I'd definantly go for the 7x64 for ranges over 150-200 metres and game larger than red deer. Yes its close to the .30-06 but it has class.

My battery used to be 250 savage, 7x57 and 9.3x62. After 45 years hunting it is now .223, 25-06, 300 Weatherby. Maybe I just can't get close enough any more :(

I've used both and to be honest, when both are loaded to their full potential with similar bullets I couldn't tell them apart. They both seemed to have the same degree of effectiveness. Flip a coin!

what are the Australians doing with the camel meat ?

7X64 is real close to a 7mm Rem Mag, which is REAL close to a 30/06.

am I reading this right, how is the 7mm RM close to a 30-06? o_O

back on topic, id say for the ranges you mention then the 7x57 will do what you ask.

-matt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg