7x57 manufacturers

Hey there. I am also a tremendous 7X57 aficionado. However I only have a beer budget. I'm sure most of our fellow responders would turn their noses up at Savage firearms, but since your family is growing, I offer it as an excellent option. I ordered one from Savage custom shop. New accustock, accutrigger, 24" barrel matte finish. Price to my dealer was $625. I paid $725. Using Hornady Superformance 139gr SST, 3 shots @ 100yds went into 3/4". I couldn't afford to turn my nose up, I wanted an affordable 7X57. This would fill the bill, fine accurate rifle. You can save enough money to start saving for that Rigby Highland Stalker.
Sounds great mate and I definitely am in a similar position to you.

It's turned into a big thread, but what I ended up doing was buying a cz 550 which I'm having rebarreled to 275 Rigby.

My next thing now is deciding what to reload through it. Few things

Legal minimum is 130gn
Rifle will have a 1:9 twist
Shooting will vary between stalking thick bush shots to 20m and open country mountain hunting to say 400m

I've considered interlock, interbond, sst, vld partition, Oryx. I was considering Barnes but they've just become so expensive in Aus these days.

Any suggestions?
Don't forget that Hornady Superformance also has a 139gr GMX. This will be a little over 2700fps. I don't think there will be a faster factory load available out of the USA

She's a beauty! That would have convinced me too! Look forward to some range reports
That's the exact rifle I bought. You are going to love it! Check the throat length. Mine is very long allowing me to seat the bullets way out. This makes a difference on the 175 gr. A-Frame.

I saw this old ammo listed on GB: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/775172541

200 rounds for $90

Any thoughts or comments for just using the stuff for range work? Any one bought from the Ammo Fairy?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-06-13 at 8.34.36 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-06-13 at 8.34.36 AM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 235
I saw this old ammo listed on GB: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/775172541

200 rounds for $90

Any thoughts or comments for just using the stuff for range work? Any one bought from the Ammo Fairy?

1935 manufacture, does it have corrosive primers? More than likely Berdan primed too so no reloading. YMMV but I'd pass.

For range ammo, I'd buy Prvi Partizan. It's actually cheaper than the old milsurp stuff on gunbroker and it's reloadable.

https://www.sgammo.com/product/prvi...-139-grain-soft-point-prvi-partizan-ammo-pp70

Attachments

• Screenshot (52).png
    Screenshot (52).png
    378.4 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:
Good observations and comments. I sent the seller a note asking about the primers.

Good observations and comments. I sent the seller a note asking about the primers.

Belgian FN ammo, my money's on corrosive primers in 1935, also Berdan. Be very interested in if one, you get an answer and two, the seller knows anymore than what's printed on the box.

I've been looking into importing from the state's, the ruger 275 Rigby has my attention but it was quoted as being $4000 to get here so it's something I need to think on.
Earlier today, I saw a Ruger M 77 RSI Stainless Mannlicher in .275 Rigby on Guns America. It was new in box and the buy now price was $1800. This was one of those limited edition models. Doubt that it will get cheaper. Wish I could buy it myself:)

@JPBOW... I see you already picked up a CZ.. But in case your interested there is a Winchester featherweight in 7x57 for sale on unsedguns.com.au.. The asking price is Au$1000 ...

@JPBOW... I see you already picked up a CZ.. But in case your interested there is a Winchester featherweight in 7x57 for sale on unsedguns.com.au.. The asking price is Au$1000 ...
Yeah I did see that and I thought about it, I just personally have never loved the feel of featherweight's not sure what it is. I almost bought it but figured if it's a rifle I really want to keep it may as well be one I enjoy shooting.

Hey there. I am also a tremendous 7X57 aficionado. However I only have a beer budget. I'm sure most of our fellow responders would turn their noses up at Savage firearms, but since your family is growing, I offer it as an excellent option. I ordered one from Savage custom shop. New accustock, accutrigger, 24" barrel matte finish. Price to my dealer was $625. I paid $725. Using Hornady Superformance 139gr SST, 3 shots @ 100yds went into 3/4". I couldn't afford to turn my nose up, I wanted an affordable 7X57. This would fill the bill, fine accurate rifle. You can save enough money to start saving for that Rigby Highland Stalker.

Won’t get any crap from me for buying a Savage. I’ve bought and sold more than I care to admit to just be 26. Even with my Steyr being my primary rifle currently, there’s still a Savage in the safe.

Belgian FN ammo, my money's on corrosive primers in 1935, also Berdan. Be very interested in if one, you get an answer and two, the seller knows anymore than what's printed on the box.

Hadn't heard back from the Ammo Fairy yet, but saw this photo on the GB ad: Aren't Berdan primers larger than Boxer? Don't know if anyone can tell just by looking at the photo.

upload_2018-6-13_17-14-55.png

Won’t get any crap from me for buying a Savage. I’ve bought and sold more than I care to admit to just be 26. Even with my Steyr being my primary rifle currently, there’s still a Savage in the safe.
Then you know what I'm talking about.

You know guys I went to the handicap dandi internet and asked if 1936 FN ammo was Berdan primed. Believe it or not, there is a blog, Gunboard Forums -- Surplus 7X57, talking about this exact subject. The bottom line is that it most probably is berdan primed. I didn't spend too much time there, but you can read it yourself if you want.
Hadn't heard back from the Ammo Fairy yet, but saw this photo on the GB ad: Aren't Berdan primers larger than Boxer? Don't know if anyone can tell just by looking at the photo.

View attachment 233335

You know guys I went to the handicap dandi internet and asked if 1936 FN ammo was Berdan primed. Believe it or not, there is a blog, Gunboard Forums -- Surplus 7X57, talking about this exact subject. The bottom line is that it most probably is berdan primed. I didn't spend too much time there, but you can read it yourself if you want.

Berdan or not, it is certainly corrosive from that date. I love all my rifles too much to put that through them in the 21st century. You will have difficulty finding the proper solvent to remove corrosive material - oil and normal solvents don't work. I would not touch the stuff.

Berdan or not, it is certainly corrosive from that date. I love all my rifles too much to put that through them in the 21st century. You will have difficulty finding the proper solvent to remove corrosive material - oil and normal solvents don't work. I would not touch the stuff.
I agree with you. Just trying to provide an answer to the question. For those guys that are interested, I found another forum called Highroad.org. it seems that their specialty is loading all things with berdan primers. But again, I'm with Red Leg

Best way to clean a gun that's used corrosive primers is to completely disassemble it and take it in the shower with you or better yet, the bathtub, hell a pressure washer would be best. Small parts could go in an ultrasonic cleaner filled with plain old H2O.
But, I agree with everyone else. I wouldn't use that ammo in your guns, let alone mine.:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
outlookindia012

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg