7x57 Bruno

lucstrydom

Reaction score
Hi guys, do you have any advice on what bullet/ grain to use when shooting from small game like Springbok/impala/warthog to larger game like blue wildebeest/kudu with a BRUNO 7x57 rifle ?

I got my younger son a 7x57 a few years back. In 2015 he went with me to RSA. The largest game he took was a zebra and a Nyala with little trouble.

I loaded him 140gr North Fork Bonded Cores to roughly 2800fps. With proper shot placement, I'd use it without hesitation on a blue or a kudu.

The 7X57 is a very popular rifle caliber for plains game by residents in a lot of southern Africa. My PH in Namibia last year used one for years taking all sorts of game. Anyway I seem to recall he preferred the heavier bullets. I do recall him mentioning using the 175 grain bullets on eland with careful shots. For all around I'd lean towards the 140 or 150 bonded or monometal bullets. I own a 7mm-08, it's ballistic brother, and I'd use mine with my 150 grain Barnes TTSX loads on everything you mentioned without a doubt.

If you are in South Africa and re-load, the best bullet to use would be a 170 gr Rhino. I have shot everything from duiker to eland bull with it with no issues whatsoever, it also does not damage the meat.

For longer shots at smaller game like Springbuck and blesbuck in open terrain you could try lighter bonded bullets such as Nosler Accubonds or Norma Oryx.

Best small to medium plains game caliber available for Africa.

Excellent choice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kathi6164

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.