Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
DSC Life Member, International Member PHASA
Hunted
Several of the lower 48, Alaska, South Africa, Ireland, Argentina, Peru
Ive got a Winchester 70 in 7MM WSM that I picked up in a trade a few years back. I'd like to take it with me on a PG hunt, but so far haven't been able to find any factory loads that use the normally recommended bullets for Africa (Barnes, A-frames, Partitions, etc..)..

It shoots exceptionally well with both Winchester PowerMax 150 gr, and Federal Trophy Bonded 160 gr, and both have been used to take large hogs (up to 580lbs) and white tail deer.. but I didn't know what you guys might think about how either one of those rounds might hold up to larger plains game like kudu, eland, or gemsbok..

any thoughts or recommendations?

Doing some more looking.. It looks like Federal used to offer a 160gr TSX in their vital shok line.. but its been discontinued?

Anyone know where there might be a source for some of this?

Ive got a Winchester 70 in 7MM WSM that I picked up in a trade a few years back. I'd like to take it with me on a PG hunt, but so far haven't been able to find any factory loads that use the normally recommended bullets for Africa (Barnes, A-frames, Partitions, etc..)..

It shoots exceptionally well with both Winchester PowerMax 150 gr, and Federal Trophy Bonded 160 gr, and both have been used to take large hogs (up to 580lbs) and white tail deer.. but I didn't know what you guys might think about how either one of those rounds might hold up to larger plains game like kudu, eland, or gemsbok..

any thoughts or recommendations?

Trophy bonded is a premium bullet every bit as good as Nosler, Swift or Barnes. Take your rifle and the 160 TBT's place the shots where they belong and you will have zero problems. Great bullet if your gun shoots them, sadly my guns don't. http://www.rifleshootermag.com/ammo/ballistics-test-best-300-win-mag-loads-market/

I used my 7mm win mag with success on Blue Wildebeest, Gemsbuck and a few others. I used all copper Barnes Vortex 160 gr TSX BT. But your trophy bonded or any other good quality 150- 160 grain is fine. I would go 160's as a 1st choice.

Sir that Federal Trophy bonded round will do the trick!

Nothing wrong with the Federal Trophy Bonded. You will be fine.

Agree with the previous comments, the Federal Trophy Bonded will certainly do the job. Heck, I think Remington Core-Lokt does the job too. In fact, I know it does. But if you want to try some other bullets and you don't reload, take a look at Hendershot's in Maryland. They are a big gun dealer and have their own line of custom ammo. I bought a variety for my 338 WM and 375 Ruger and been very happy.

Link to Hendershots: http://hendershots.net/

upload_2016-3-26_9-26-55.png

upload_2016-3-26_9-27-12.png

That should be no problem! Certainly the Federal loads will do the trick

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross