7mm rifles, whats your thoughts, favourites

Midway USA lists their ammo and the number in parentheses is the number of different cartridges available, which is a good proxy for popularity. I have a 7x57 and also a 7 Rem Mag and like them both. The 7x57, 7mm-08 and 280 Rem are really in the same class as the 270 Win.

upload_2019-12-4_5-44-40.png

Last summer in Botswana I used one of the camp rifles- a Blaser R8 in 7x64. After seeing what a 156 grain Norma Oryx bullet in that caliber could do, I picked up my own rifle in that caliber. To me, there is only a slight advantage to the 7x64 over the 7x57 in that you can drive 160-170 grain bullets at the same velocity that a 7x57 can achieve with 120-140 grain bullets. Not much of a difference, but it is a difference that I thought was useful in that I will take every advantage I can so that months of planning, weeks of packing and shooting, and days of stalking culminate in that one true shot that reduces the likelihood of a long tracking session. The big downside of the 7x64 is that while there are quite a few places that sell 7x64 cartridges, trying to find them in stock is another story.

Jeff

I have a drilling in 7x57R loaded with 130gr LOS bullets that I use for roedeer and smaller game.
Works just perfect.
I also have an BS in 7x65R/222rem that I use for stalking and shot some roebucks and a pig
with the 7mm barrel.Also works fine.
Had a DR in 7x65R.Shot a handfull of moose with it but the moose goes down faster when I use
my 7mm RM so I sold it.
My 7mm RM I have used in most of my hunting trips and of cause most moose hunting at home.
None of the animals I shot in South Africa left eye sight.Same with most of the moose I'v shot.
Also very effective on Roebucks and wildboars!
Guess speed kills!

I have a 7mm stw-custom built on a Remington action-pretty awesome rifle. BUT the 7mm-08 that I bought as a “girls gun” has easily become the go to rifle in my safe taking pronghorn and up to cow elk. I love it!
One thing that bugs me is when we say a caliber “can do” -the reality is that sometimes you must sacrifice velocity for accuracy. Just because a manual says a caliber can shoot some bullet wicked fast doesn’t mean every rifle will do it and definitely not accurately!

I have two 7-08s and love the cartridge. Effective and fun to shoot. Easy to reload and easy on brass. Would have a 7x57 or 275 Rigby but they are ballistically very similar to my 7-08s.

I also want a 280AI - that likely will be my next rifle. There is good factory ammo available, performance is similar to 7mmRM with less recoil, and it handles heavier bullets better than my 7-08s.

I can't help but notice the original poster is from Australia, but most of the answers that explain cartridge popularity and availability are from a USA perspective. From my limited understanding of the Australian market, it seems not so different than much of the rest of the British commonwealth. European products are widely available, and American products do not wholly dominate. So finding a good rifle and easily available high quality ammunition is easy for European cartridges. Same in much of Africa. That would place the 7x64 at the top of my recommendations. I currently have two 7x64's three 7x57's and two 7mm08 rifles. All are fine choices for a light hunting rifle at home or abroad. It would be really silly to choose a rifle for the .275 Rigby then try to explain why your paperwork does not match your 7x57 ammunition when passing through airport security and customs. Nice rifles and wonderful cartridge otherwise! The 7x64 offers a little more speed with light bullets, a little more punch with heavies. No noticeable disadvantage in kick or muzzle blast. The 7mm Remington magnum is a very fine cartridge, but in my opinion not "better" for hunting the size of animals appropriate to shoot with a 7mm. The .280 is of course no different than the 7x64, it's just that the 7x64 has a better market presence everywhere but the USA.

The 7x57 and 7x64 have legendary status here in SA, followed by the 7mm Rem Mag. The 7mm-08 and 280 Rem are rare as hen’s teeth - I guess because of the popularity of their German forbears.

ive owned a 7mm Rem Mag, 7mm WSM, and a 7x57 over the years..

the only one that remains in the safe is the 7x57

there was nothing wrong with the other rifles.. the 7mm WSM in particular was accurate like a freaking lazer.. but.. I had other guns in the safe that were roughly in the same "class" as the 7 mags.. so ultimately they moved out and made room for other "stuff"...

the 7x57 will never get sold or traded though.. its special to me.. mostly because I built it myself.. it started life as a SR Mauser action that had been rebarreled at some point in .308.. I took it back to 7x57, and did all the other work required to turn it from a rusted old hulk of a military rifle to a modern sporting gun..

Its only decently accurate (it will hold 1.25" groups with pretty much any ammo I feed it.. and 1" groups with stuff it likes).. but its a dream to handle and shoot.. and there is nothing in north america I wouldnt hunt with it shy of a big bear... Its one of my "go-to" hunting rifles.. I absolutely love both the rifle and the cartridge..

I would look as to what will be more available where you live.

Not loading my ammo myself I would have the following:
Europe and South Africa for a bolt action- 7x64.
For a break barrel/single shot 7x65R.
I’ve shot animals with both the x64 and x57 and have a drilling in x57R. So nothing against the x57.

In the US I think I would go with a 280R or 7mm RM due to the availability of ammo.

As a handloader it would be a 7x64(x65R) in Europe/South Africa and a 280 AI in the US.

I've had a romance with the .28 bore since about 1967 when I bought my very first deer rifle, a .284 Winchester. Since that time I've never had a need for a magnum but, had several 7x57s (my favorite) and 7x64. The 7x64 is a wonderful cartridge much to my liking but, my rifle is heavier than my x57s even though it is a stutzen. The thought has entered my mind to get a lightweight .280 to take the place of my 7x64 but, my 7x57s does everything I need for the type hunting I do, so unless I find one I can't live without, I'll remain loyal to my x57s.;)

I've had a romance with the .28 bore since about 1967 when I bought my very first deer rifle, a .284 Winchester. Since that time I've never had a need for a magnum but, had several 7x57s (my favorite) and 7x64. The 7x64 is a wonderful cartridge much to my liking but, my rifle is heavier than my x57s even though it is a stutzen. The thought has entered my mind to get a lightweight .280 to take the place of my 7x64 but, my 7x57s does everything I need for the type hunting I do, so unless I find one I can't live without, I'll remain loyal to my x57s.;)

Just a couple of years before that, I took my first two deer on a beach in Alaska near Sitka with my dads .284, it now resides here and is my sons rifle, dad having passed away a few years ago. The load dad had worked up for deer in that rifle, a rebarrel on a pre 64 Model 70, 140 gr Sierra's moving around 3000 fps. It absolutely flattened those deer, feet up and done. Bullets pretty much disintegrated inside the chest cavity of each deer.
We used that same rifle in RSA and Namibia with similar results but use a Barnes Triple Shock 140 instead of the SGK, but at about the same speed. Its very effective on even the tougher species like blue wildebeest.

Interesting reading and has enlightened me to a couple of cartridges that I hadn’t heard of.
Yes @Longwalker I am an Aussie poster and I’d say your observation is correct but I believe that we have more of an American influence on chambering and cartridge selection across the board. At least as you go into the country and selection is limited.
Something like 6.5x55 was common when they imported and sporterised many rifles some 30 years ago. It can still be found in a new Tikka rifle.
As for European cartridges or chambering’s or metric classifications maybe not so much. 9.3x64 or something .
With the availability of Tikka rifles there are some metric options and maybe in Sako and others but the common stuff that farmers use or everyone has and is on the shelf would be .223, .22-250, .243, 270, .308 maybe 7mmRem or .300wm. I know a few with WSSM short mag rounds but I I have stuck with common calibres myself. Other than 7mm-08 that was a Tikka CTR that I got on clearance from a large retailer. My guess is they were not good sellers but I wanted a .7mm-08 and a compact rifle. I’m happy.
The .280 and.280ai sound interesting. If the AI is approaching the REm mag that’s interesting but the RM will have better availability here at least.
A quick look at Tikka shows 7x64 listed but not 7x57 where I was looking. I don’t think rifles will be stocked in many places. Ammo Maybe I primed cases and start from scratch but that’s not so bad.
I wonder what other Aussies think on these options and availability.

7x64 fan here as is my father. Watched him put down 2 muntjac with them this evening effectively

I have a 7x64 and as long as I do my part its good for out to 1000yards. That was on a target mind but even then it was 1/4 moa

I got down on 7RM during my first namibian trip. My PH rent that Rosenthal for me with PMP SP 175gr.
13 bullets fired, 11 trophies from Koudou, Oryx ... to Jackal .... so I fall in love with the caliber.
Now a Steyr-Mannlicher is mine beginning with Feferal TBBC 175gr and now with 130gr monometallic.
It's my rifle to walk and stalk on mountains or plains even if I get a 7x64 ...

Had a mint Colombian 7mm Mauser then had a 7x61S&H built then a Mod 77 Ruger in 7x57 and last one was another custom 7x57 so like many I have had a "thing" for the 7mm.
I do think the 7x64 (and 280) are an excellent cartridge compromise between all those having been mentioned and in a light rifle for mountain hunting would be a very good choice.

I had a 7 mm Rem. Mag 30 plus years ago. Never had a problem with it.

I bought a 375H&H at a gun show some time after and didn’t look back until earlier this year. I have taken a lot of game at short and long distances with the 375. I never hunted with the 7mm after I bought the .375.

I sold my brother the 7mm Rem mag back in the late 80’s.

Earlier this year I decided that I wanted deer rifle that was more of a deer rifle. I still love the 375H&H, but conceded it was more than really necessary for a whitetail.

I didn’t get my 7mm08 back from getting the metal finished until 2 days before season. I hunted opening day with my 375. The second weekend I got to try out the 7mm08.

It kills deer just as dead.

I have debated filling the hole in my lineup between 7mm08 and 375H&H with a .300 mag of some verity for plains game. In reality, I am not sure I would use it instead of the .375.

Having said all this, I am still waiting to get my .416 Rigby back from the gunsmith. I plan on it being first choice on dangerous game. At least until I find a double rifle I can’t live without that is.

Sorry if I went a little off topic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross