7mm Remington Magnum

My daughter and I used the PH's 7mm mag with a suppressor on an Eastern Cape PG hunt. Using Hornady 175 gr SST, we had 8 one shot kills: 2xkudu, 2xnyala, 2ximpala, 1xzebra and 1xblesbok. No wounded or lost animals.

I'm guessing the heavy for caliber sst's held up ok.

Would you use them again?

Absolutely! In fact, I used 130 gr SST in my 270 on a Dall Sheep hunt in August and had a one shot kill from 230 yards.

Nickymaz your search is over, buy a .35 Whelen. It's a 30-06 necked up to 35 caliber, bullet weight ranges for 180 - 310 grain (all factory loads, no reloading required) in premium or cup & core bullets. The 180 and 200 grain bullets make excellent loads for deer and pig. The 225grn from Barnes or Nosler are excellent elk loads out to 400 yards and the 250grn on up work well on the larger, tougher game. If it's not dangerous game the 35 Whelen is my go to hunting round.

Best of all it's a 30-06 case so the recoil is very similar to the 06 but its not as sharp as the magnums.

Question, what gun makers even make rifles in .35 Whelen today?

Seriously though, remington legitimized it way back in the day, and 35 whelen is still available in the cdl version. Many other (older) remington 700's can be found in the used gun market as well. I have seen rugers, hand rifles, and the occasional Winnie 70 chambered in it. Thompson center also makes whelen barrels.

Remington still makes their pump rifle in the 35 I believe. Albeit a tad heavy, it would be dynamite with the Remington 870 Timney trigger.

Remington still makes their pump rifle in the 35 I believe. Albeit a tad heavy, it would be dynamite with the Remington 870 Timney trigger.
You are correct. They do. Like I said there are several manufacturers, past and present that offer the chambering. If someone is really interested in the 35, I'm sure they could find one. All this though, I would say,, even though I love the topic,, is for a different thread. Back to the 7mm remmie.....

As usual @velodog has some sage advice as well as the 35 Whelen crowd. I'm not a 7mm Remington Manglem hater at all, own 14 of them I believe. I've shot a lot of critters with the Big Green 7, and it performs admirably, though as Paul said it does cause much blood shot and I have ruined several capes with the dramatic reaction. Most of my 7's are accumulating dust bunnies as I reach for a 338 or 375 9 times out of 10. Would I hesitate using one on PG? Not at all. Would I rather take a 375? Hands Down!
Cheers,
Cody

Question, what gun makers even make rifles in .35 Whelen today?

Nosler now make their "Outfitter" series rifle in a 35 Whelen

Well if you think to go Whelen you may as well go .358 Norma Magnum,better than it seems.
According to the Nosler reloading manual, using 250 gr. bullets, the Whelen is a bit faster than the 'mag'. Using 225 grain the NorMag beats the Whelen by 70 fops. So in my books they are essentially the same. The Whelen brass is much more available and you can actually buy rifles chambered for it. I used a Nosler in 35 W to take the eland in my avatar photo.

According to the Nosler reloading manual, using 250 gr. bullets, the Whelen is a bit faster than the 'mag'. Using 225 grain the NorMag beats the Whelen by 70 fops. So in my books they are essentially the same. The Whelen brass is much more available and you can actually buy rifles chambered for it. I used a Nosler in 35 W to take the eland in my avatar photo.

I do not have the Nosler reloading manual but in all the other manuals I have they all show the .358 Norma mag to be at least 200 and in some loads 250fps faster than the Whelan.

I do not have the Nosler reloading manual but in all the other manuals I have they all show the .358 Norma mag to be at least 200 and in some loads 250fps faster than the Whelan.
Huh, I will have to check that out. But go online and visit the Nosler website. Click on their " Load Data" section. Very good resource.

Here's my two bits for what it's worth, I've hunted with a 7mm for 40 Yrs and has never let me down everything from moose to speed goats here in North America. That being said I took it prior to going to Africa my first time I just had to buy a traditional African caliber so I bought the 375 and was quite surprised that the recoil was very manageable more of a push versus a slap. I think for all around plains game a 7mm will do the job except maybe on the eland and sable they are tough critters. On my second go round I went out and bought another African classic the 300 H&H now that's a fine shooting rifle.
Good luck and happy hunting

According to the current and latest Nosler manual number 8, the max 250 gr in the 358 Norma Mag is 2628 fps with 72 gr of IMR 4350 and the max 250 gr in the 35 Whelan is 2637 fps with 58 gr of W748. In the 225 gr category it does show the 358 Norma with a 73 fps advantage.
Arrive at your own conclusion as to what you personally prefer. Looks as thoug the Whelan has the nod to me. I have a custom 338 06 built in 1984 on a Sako action, a toss up between that and a 338 Win Mag, after considering the pros and cons, for me it was a simple solution, less powder and much less recoil and not having to deAl with reloading a magnum case. Gave up 200 plus fps, but it a good choice for me. One trip to Africa, and 6x7 elk in British Columbia proved it does what it was meant to do.

Here's my two bits for what it's worth, I've hunted with a 7mm for 40 Yrs and has never let me down everything from moose to speed goats here in North America. That being said I took it prior to going to Africa my first time I just had to buy a traditional African caliber so I bought the 375 and was quite surprised that the recoil was very manageable more of a push versus a slap. I think for all around plains game a 7mm will do the job except maybe on the eland and sable they are tough critters. On my second go round I went out and bought another African classic the 300 H&H now that's a fine shooting rifle.
Good luck and happy hunting
I have to find someone who will let me try their 375.

Your 7 will work, it is about shot placement, shot placement and oh yeah shot placement. Like many others here the mid-bores just hit harder and most of your shots are under 200. On the 338-375 Class rifles stock fit starts to become more important. I have shot a 300WM with a so so fitting stock that just harder to shoot than my 375 that is a perfect fit. My wife all 5ft 2in of her shoots her 338 RCM light out and I just built her a 375Ruger. The stock fits her perfectly and have a recoil reducer in a laminated stock that she is getting ready for a 2018 safari. Don't overlook the 9.3x62. It has been knocking african game down even longer than the 375. My vote a 9.3 or 375 and don't look back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LynnePhife

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg