7mm Rem Mag for big plains game

gatekeeper

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
NRA
I am in the early planning stages for my first African hunt for plains game is the RSA. I only know what I have read, which is probably just enough to get myself into trouble, and do not profess to be an expert by any means, which is why I am reaching out to those of you who are experienced and knowledgeable. I am looking to hunt kudu, blue and black wildebeest and zebra as the larger game on my hunt. I have a Remingotn 700 in 7mm Rem Mag that I like a lot and shoot well, and have loaded with 160gr. Nosler Accubonds at about 3000fps. I also have a good 175gr Nosler Partition load at about 2900fps. Any thoughts on using this caliber for my hunt, with either of the stated handloads? I see a lot of PHs do favor 30 calibers, and am wondering if I would be better off with a 300 Win Mag loaded with 200gr Accubonds to 2800-2900fps? Is the extra recoil worth the benefits, possibly a better chance of an exit on the bigger game such as zebra, and is the 7mm mag possibly marginal? Or would I just be trying to justify buying a 300 and setting it up? LOL Thank you in advance for your advice.

You will be just fine with the Accubond 165's and the 7 mm mag. All of those animals are taken cleanly every year with 7x57's. The 175 gr partition is an exceptional proven PG bullet - If you are MOA with that bullet as well, it likely would be my personal preference - but both are absolutely lethal.

IMO, bigger is ALWAYS better, but the toughest animal you’re taking is the zebra. Practice putting the bullet where it belongs. Look here on AH and print yourself out the pictures to study and take with you.
Oh and practice off of sticks with shots within 5-10 seconds from the PH saying to get on the sticks until the shot goes off. Cycle the action and set up for a second shot.

You’re going to have a grand time and you’ll want to return to Africa before you get home! Enjoy the planning as well as the trip!

Welcome to AH!

Standard rejoinder is take the rifle you shoot well. Shot placement is everything and your 7RM with those bullets will do just fine.

IMO, bigger is ALWAYS better, but the toughest animal you’re taking is the zebra. Practice putting the bullet where it belongs. Look here on AH and print yourself out the pictures to study and take with you.
Oh and practice off of sticks with shots within 5-10 seconds from the PH saying to get on the sticks until the shot goes off. Cycle the action and set up for a second shot.

You’re going to have a grand time and you’ll want to return to Africa before you get home! Enjoy the planning as well as the trip!

Welcome to AH!
Sage advice. You have the right rifle and ammunition. Get off the bench and practice from the sticks - then do it some more. Way too many American hunters use them for the first time on their first African game animal. One of the finest compliments you will ever hear is a PH acknowledging your quick (and accurate!) engagement of an animal.

I doubt the difference beteen a .284 and .308 will carry the day. But, I was really impressed how dense a zebra is. So, my only thought is go with the bullet you have more faith in.

If you shoot the rifle well you will be fine.

Your recipe will be just fine. Pick your fave and as has been said practice getting on target quickly both on and off sticks.

Have fun practicing.

Reactions: lcq
Based on limited experience I would NOT use the Accubonds. I came back from the one trip I used them with 5 expended bullets in my pocket. They expand well just as advertised but big game will stop them. I did a dispatching shot on a Blue Wildebeest, I think it was, in to the neck and the neck vertebrae stopped it -- it didn't even break the vertebrae. And that was with a .300 Win Mag. Personally I would shoot a mono-metal like the Barnes TTSX.

I know a lot of people use the .270 WCF and .308, but each trip to Africa I make makes me want to use something heavier.

Welcome @gatekeeper , Your 7mm will be fine. I took nearly all my PG species on my first safari with the 160 gn accubond in a 280AI (7mm in an improved 30/06 case). The accubond performed very well. I took my 280 on my second safari as well and a Blue Wildebeest fell to the 160 accubond. Take the 7mm as it sounds like you have confidence in it and that means everything when you have a marginal shot on the trophy of a lifetime.

I am in the early planning stages for my first African hunt for plains game is the RSA. I only know what I have read, which is probably just enough to get myself into trouble, and do not profess to be an expert by any means, which is why I am reaching out to those of you who are experienced and knowledgeable. I am looking to hunt kudu, blue and black wildebeest and zebra as the larger game on my hunt. I have a Remingotn 700 in 7mm Rem Mag that I like a lot and shoot well, and have loaded with 160gr. Nosler Accubonds at about 3000fps. I also have a good 175gr Nosler Partition load at about 2900fps. Any thoughts on using this caliber for my hunt, with either of the stated handloads? I see a lot of PHs do favor 30 calibers, and am wondering if I would be better off with a 300 Win Mag loaded with 200gr Accubonds to 2800-2900fps? Is the extra recoil worth the benefits, possibly a better chance of an exit on the bigger game such as zebra, and is the 7mm mag possibly marginal? Or would I just be trying to justify buying a 300 and setting it up? LOL Thank you in advance for your advice.
In my humble opinion I would go with the 175gr nosler. On my first safari my PH did not want me to use the acubonds that I brought so I used my noslers which worked great on the kudu and gemsbock. Used my 375 for eland though.
Good luck and shoot straight.

Ive shot tough as hell big boars and lame 500 Lb lame bulls with my old .22 .
Ive shot hundreds of red deer ,some in the 300 + Lb range with my .222 .
Took my first tough as hell bull Thar at 300 yrds with my mates 7mm rem mag .
Shot 22 animals in Africa with a 308 with great success ( bar one oryx that took 3 rounds without any affect , a morter round woulnt have stopped it )
Imo the flat shooting 7mm mag would be an excellent choice for planes game .
most of the shots in the Kalahari were between 200_400 yards
I often thought about the 7mm when i was there .
That country is designed for the flat shooting 7mm mag .
Sooo take it for a walk in Africa , it deserves a holiday .
Cheers , (pining for the sands of Africa) , Dory .

Your 7mm mag is fine but to answer the question yes you would be better with .300 Win. That is the go to gun in Africa for PG. don’t over think it though. If you can shoot well with the gun you have then you will be fine. I actually want to get a 7mm mag myself!
Philip

My 7mm RM did the job very well. So did the 308 win's of my 2 friends.
Zebra, Wildebeest, Kudu, Bleesbok, Impala and Springbok.

Reactions: lcq
My daughter will be using a 7 mag for zebra and water buck. What are the thoughts on using 140gr barnes tsx bullets?

7mm Rem mag with heavy premium grade bullet that you shoot well is all you need. If it is your favorite gun and you shoot it well, you do not need anything more.

Welcome to AH!

Agree with others comments, the caliber is fine. If its your favorite rifle, keep practicing and write a report when you get back!

My daughter will be using a 7 mag for zebra and water buck. What are the thoughts on using 140gr barnes tsx bullets?

You've mentioned two large, and in the case of the waterbuck, notoriously hard to kill, animals. I would go with a 160 grain if it were me, especially if she will be taking shots under 200 yards.

I think the 300 win mag is a good step up from the 7mm mag, but the 7mag is a terrific cartridge (Probably my favorite). If I was going to hunt and track those larger animals in Africa all by myself or with my buddy - not doubt I'd take the 300 win mag or even larger because grass and dirt can easily hide blood. Now you are not going by yourself, you will have an extremely talented person/team with you that can find a needle in a haystack. A 7mag with heavy partitions will be more than fine. I wouldn't use the accubonds though, they are more of a medium game bullet up to 300 pounds or so imo. Some people in the US like them for elk but I would only be looking to shoot a female or small bull.

Now if you were interested in buying a new rifle just because, do look at the 300wsm if you feel you can take the recoil of a rifle at least 1/2 lighter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg