Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, SCI - West Texas Chapter, HSC, NRA Life Member, Ducks Unlimited
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe, OK, TX, UT, KS
Need some recommendations for 7mm Rem Mag ammo for a new Browning B78 I just picked up. Don't reload, so looking for a good factory load.

What are you hunting? Would be helpful to know.

For now it will probably stick to whitetail, mule deer, pigs. I just picked the rifle up Saturday at auction. Kind an impulse buy. One day it may venture with me to other places for other game.

For deer and pigs, Fusions in 150gr and 175gr should work great. I don't have a 7mag but they've been good for me out of my 270. For bigger game stateside or plains game, Federal loads 160gr Trophy Bonded Tips and 175gr Bearclaws that give near 3000 ft/lbs of muzzle energy with a premium bullet.

Can you tell I'm a Federal fan?

My son shoots a 7 Rem Mag. For whitetail he's started shooting Winchester ammo loaded with Ballistic Silver tips. Winchester also has ammo loaded with Nosler Accubonds which might be better suited when you throw in mule deer and pigs.

He and I went on a plains game hunt this summer and he shot ammo loaded with Barnes 160 gr TSX's. They did a great job on animals of all sizes, Impala to Eland. The only thing is they didn't leave much of a blood trail.

That's why he doesn't use the TSX's for deer. There just isn't much of a blood trail and follow up tracking can be difficult.

Used rem corelok on everything in Africa 60 cull animals from springbok to Zebra and a lot of hartebeest everything went down quickly or to the shot ....... recovered bullets not many but those recovered mushroomed perfectly 150 gr

have hunted South Africa twice with my 7mm rem mag--both times with 175 grain swift aframe (and the third time with 300 grain swifts in my 375 h and h) everything was DRT except a 40 yard trail on a 300 yard shot on a zebra--my standard whitetail load is a hornady 154 grain sst--my rifle likes them can't argue against the barnes triple shock either.

I'm going to follow along on this. I've had a 7 mag for 18 years and still have about 8 rounds left in my original box of ammo. I bought my first bow a few months after buying the gun and have never fired it at an animal. I have been planning an aoudad hunt though and the research for a good round just has me going in circles.

I shoot a browning a bolt 7mag. I like the 168 gr berger ammo from hsm. This stuff works great on deer, elk, bear and so forth. It does leave a larger exit hole as the bullet fragments so you get a bigger blood trail. That being said I have had it wreck some meat on a shoulder also.
I have not been to Africa yet (May 18) but have shot 4 gemsbok/oryx in New Mexico. All at ranges of 40 yds to 496 yds. I used a 160 Barnes triple shock from vortx. Not much of a blood trail but preformed just like they say. I recovered 3 bullets and weighed them after. Had 99 percent retention.

Cole,

I grew up shooting Core-Lokt and guess what..........they still work and usually can be purchased locally for a reasonable price.

When my daughter and I hunted in the eastern cape, the outfitter furnished 7mm mag Sako w/ suppressor was using 162gr Hornady SST. We had 8 one-hot kills. I was so impressed I started using the Hornady SST Superformance in my 270 and took my Dall with one shot. The SST has a very high BC, so good for long range.

I also love Swift A-Frames and Swift is making their own ammo now.

Dave

Any Federal 130-168 grain or similar Swift, Barnes, or Winchester Supreme type stuff

Plenty of good choices but I would pick up a few boxes of lightweight bullets and shoot the most accurate one. If it's a skinny barrel, fire no more than two shots before letting it cool to ambient. I've seen so many shooters literally fry their 7RMs at the range by shooting many rounds rapidly. Good way to ruin the barrel permanently. Also beware of scope eye. :cautious:

Winchester 150gr power points will work well on the animals you have listed.

as an old Hornady tech once told me: deer don't need much killing. My $0.02 if you intend to eat it and don't want to deal with lead shrapnel then shoot a light Barnes 140gr or a corelokt ultra, powermax or fusion. Nothing makes more of a mess than a magnum at close range with soft bullets. My cheapo rem 783 shoots 160gr corelokt ultras well, they pass through and drop them fast without grenading. Accuracy first and a good controlled expanding bullet that isn't too hard.

I can recommend the Swift Scirocco 150grs for the 7mm Mag.

Have personal experience with that combo and would definitely recommend this as top-combination. Shoots fast and flat and takes down game of different sizes with authority.

After falling in love with the 7RM in Namibia with PMP 175gr SP in a very successfull trip (11 trophees, 15 rounds), I bought one in France with Federal TBBC 175gr : "Que du bonheur !" from Roedeer, Wild Boar to Deer

There are a lot of factors to consider besides ammo. But, in short, I would try several brands in your rifle, being patient & cleaning between 3 shot groups, letting the barrel cool. I would also strongly suggest Boddington's book: The Accurate Rifle and Rifleman. It's a great wealth of knowledge. I've been a shooter / hunter for 40 years & I still learned a lot from it!
Cheers!

What Ernie said. Try a few different types when sticking with factory only ammo. I have a rifle that's proven to have a specific acquired taste for ammunition. I've shot 3.5" groups, and 7/8" groups in the same trip with a different manufacturer/ bullet. Fortunately, it does shoot what it likes very well.

Many great suggestions for ammo here here. I'll add the Barns 140 grain TTSX. Good BC, a tipped bullet for quick expansion on game, and the reliability of a mono metal. I'm planning on using the 140 TTSX factory load this year.

Precision Hunter is crazy accurate out of my 7mm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg