roverandbrew

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
United States, South Africa, Zambia
Has anyone seen any 7mm 156 grain Oryx bullets for sale lately? All my usuals appear to be out.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-03 at 9.27.55 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-03 at 9.27.55 AM.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 194
  • Screen Shot 2020-11-03 at 9.27.58 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-03 at 9.27.58 AM.png
    2 MB · Views: 167
Not what you want to hear, but this is the worst time to be looking for components. The panic buying is out of control. Good luck.

I reload, so I've been looking for the Projectiles only for well over a year without any luck. Same holds true for the 156 Gr. Oryx id 6.5. I called the NORMA Rep. last Spring, they (she) thought they would be available in August. Well, that came and went to no avail.

Since NORMA is an AH Sponsor, I'd like to see a realistic / truthful timetable by caliber if necessary when Norma ammo and components will be available. HINT, HINT!!

Graf and Sons had 170 grain just not 156.

Since NORMA is an AH Sponsor, I'd like to see a realistic / truthful timetable by caliber if necessary when Norma ammo and components will be available. HINT, HINT!!

I sent them a private message a year ago about a product and never heard back...

Norma has always been, in my experience, somewhat flaky in keeping up with demand (or supply chain distribution) here in the US for, I hate to say it, at least 50 years! In perspective, there has not been a continuous run on ammo nor components for the past 50 years! The latest is politically driven and covid excused. The previous one under BHO was politically driven. Too bad, as I generally like Norma stuff, but I’ve avoided investing time and effort developing loads with their products, primarily bullets and powder, for a long time because of that unpredictable supply. For a deer/medium PG type bullet the Oryx is ok and it tends to be an inherently accurate bullet. But it is not a particularly tough bullet even though it is bonded it is not particularly tough. As Bruce posted, probably best to find an alternative quality hunting bullet like the A Frame or TSX or any number of others that shoot well- then move on.

Last edited:
Norma has always been, in my experience, somewhat flaky in keeping up with demand (or supply chain distribution) here in the US for, I hate to say it, at least 50 years! In perspective, there has not been a continuous run on ammo nor components for the past 50 years! The latest is politically driven and covid excused. The previous one under BHO was politically driven. Too bad, as I generally like Norma stuff, but I’ve avoided investing time and effort developing loads with their products, primarily bullets and powder, for a long time because of that unpredictable supply. For a deer/medium PG type bullet the Oryx is ok and it tends to be an inherently accurate bullet. But it is not a particularly tough bullet even though it is bonded it is not particularly tough. As Bruce posted, probably best to find an alternative quality hunting bullet like the A Frame or TSX or any number of others that shoot well- then move on.
Swift and Barnes are both made in the USA.
And I bet both have enjoyed the last 4 years...politically speaking.

Speaking of flaky...Federal ammo is the same.
At least for their loaded options.
Stopped using them years ago for that reason.
Can NOT be relied on for consistent production.

Last edited:
I’ve recovered a few bullets from carcasses using the Norma Oryx. Bullet deformation was pretty good, nice mushrooms. An alternative may be the PPU 158gr Grom bullet. Similar weight, flat base, so it might not take too much load development to work up an accurate load.
when I’ve popped a couple of sika with these I’ll report further.

PS, they’re as cheap as chips !

there's an online database that searches availability of bullets in the US at every online seller-i do not recall the name but search it! those are highly regarded hunting bullets (similar to the woodleighs and another american mfr. speer game kings??)

I reload, so I've been looking for the Projectiles only for well over a year without any luck. Same holds true for the 156 Gr. Oryx id 6.5. I called the NORMA Rep. last Spring, they (she) thought they would be available in August. Well, that came and went to no avail.

If import/export regulations of these DangerousKillerMurderTerrorist components weren't so ridiculously strict, I'd be happy to share. :) The 156gr Oryx is what I use in 6.5, and I probably have a few hundred lying around the loading bench.

On the other hand, some US made components like Accubond, TSX or A-Frames may be harder to come by here. At least in some calibres/weights.

/cmk

there's an online database that searches availability of bullets in the US at every online seller-i do not recall the name but search it! those are highly regarded hunting bullets (similar to the woodleighs and another american mfr. speer game kings??)
I think this is one:

I hear lot's of praise for the Norma Oryx bullet. One reason I believe, as stated earlier, they tend to be very accurate- at least I found them to be so in a couple of different calibers/rifles I tried them in. However, they are not particularly tough. They are simply a thin jacketed, bonded, cup and core bullet that can overexpand and not penetrate in certain situations. Really not unlike many conventional cup and core bullets.

Chris Bekker had a revealing article in African Outfitter, May-June 201- very informative and well written, BTW. The article included results of penetration of various, common 9.3 hunting bullets, fired at close range into elephant carcasses. Dan McCarthy of bigfivehq did the complete write-up. Aim point and bullet track purposefully avoided bone for consistent comparison of results of various bullets.

pic of results table from article

bullet test- elephant.png

Last edited:
Interesting table @fourfive8 : indeed I believe that Oryx can be a bit on the soft side. Would have been good to see the expanded diameters listed as well. My assumption - given the difference in penetration - is that the Oryx expanded quite well, perhaps even a bit too much. Also the velocity listed is actually a wee bit over the (usually optimistic) advertised figures from Norma. If this was factory ammunition, that is.

This bullet should probably not be loaded hot, and/or shot at point-blank range. At least not if it has to travel a bit before reaching the vitals.

At any rate, I don't think that elephants, or elephant sized game, was what the developers had in mind when designing the bullet. Around these parts their main use is probably for moose, wild boar and the occasional bear (though it seems that many prefer the lighter version - 232 grains). Maybe some use them for smaller critters as well.

EDIT: spelling

Data like that shown in the table is most useful for comparing one bullet to other bullets. And less useful from a stand alone perspective. Note the variables among different bullets were held to minimum possible.

Interesting, I was always under the impression they were similar to partitions. I bought a bunch of loaded ammo on clearence and was planning to use them on large game. I'm going to def rethink that.

Curtism1234, if you decide not to use your 156 Gr. Factory Loaded Norma ammo, give me a shout. I will put them to good use.

Yes, i too would consider the Oryx a true soft, best used for sm-med PG, poss. even big cats. That's not an elephant bullet. It is certainly not the most accurate bullet out there, either. 'Just a good performer on the game it was intended for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Efren35C00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross