Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
Outdoor Tomorrow Foundation,NRA, Life Member DSC
Hunted
Texas, Oklahoma, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Namibia, South Africa, Spain, Tanzania, and now Tajikistan
Princess Bride has informed me that we are going on a black bear hunt in Vancouver BC this June. She then asked me what she should shoot.

With the concept that bullet placement is top priority I need to explore the viability of her 7mm-08.
PB used her Browning A-bolt 7mm-08 very successfully in Namibia. She fired it 3 times and killed a zebra, oryx, and wildebeast. She is extremely confident in the rifle. It really fits her well. (Note: This rifle is on a youth stock) However, I think it needs to be loaded with a better bullet than a 150g Federal Soft Points she used in Namibia.

So, will this rifle loaded with a 160g Barnes TSX or 160g Swift-A-Frame be appropriate for this hunt. Thanks for ya'lls help.

Were it me and I was picking between those two 160gr bullets, it would be the A-Frame. TSX's like speed and just off the top of my head, I'm thinking you're in the 2500 fps range at the muzzle. Put a little distance between you and the bear and you're now getting down into the range the TSX's won't open up very well.

With the high weight retaining bullets we have now, I wouldn't be that concerned with using a 140gr bullet myself. My son used a 140gr North Fork BC (very similar to the A-Frame in performance) this past summer. He took a zebra on a hard quartering too shot that had to penetrate a lot of thick shoulder at a distance of 125 yards. No problem, dead zebra in short order.

I'd tell her it is absolutely not enough gun and that another rifle MUST be purchased and for her to not say a word because the hunt was HER idea! Put your foot down and tell it like it is!!!!

Oh crap.... I forgot PB is a member of the forum and will read this..... :A Banana Sad::A Drive::E Frightened:

My wife also uses a 7mm-08 for her hunting needs. We have had great success with the 139gr GMX Superformance load from Hornady, large hogs and dall sheep drop in their tracks. I do agree with Royal27 a new rifle is in order, I would recommend a 35 Whelen, the recoil is more of a push than the sharp smack delivered by today's magnums and it can easily take all North American and African PG animals.

The 160gr TTSX will have trouble expanding at 7-08 speeds. The 160gr A-Frame would have somewhat in the same trouble. You do NOT need a 160gr bullet for bear----especially in a 7-08. You would be better off with a 140gr Nosler Partition or Swift A-Frame. The Swift 150gr Scirocco would be another excellent choice.
I shoot the 110gr TTSX in my 7-08 and it preforms well.

7mm-08 with 140 nobler is fine that is what my kids used 4bears 2 moose goat sheep and in Africa

I suggest 30 06, 35Whelen or 9,3x62.
My recommendation 9,3x62, cartridges from NORMA with bullet ORYX 285gr.
Witold

I'd tell her it is absolutely not enough gun and that another rifle MUST be purchased and for her to not say a word because the hunt was HER idea! Put your foot down and tell it like it is!!!!

Oh crap.... I forgot PB is a member of the forum and will read this..... :A Banana Sad::A Drive::E Frightened:

Oh Royal..... Yep, you're in trouble... Unfortunately there isn't a smiley pointing to the dog house! A teacher should not read this the day the kids get out for Christmas break..... Guess you will come drag my bear from the woods or buy me a drink in Jan at the DSC dinner, huh?:A Banana:

Oh Royal..... Yep, you're in trouble... Unfortunately there isn't a smiley pointing to the dog house! A teacher should not read this the day the kids get out for Christmas break..... Guess you will come drag my bear from the woods or buy me a drink in Jan at the DSC dinner, huh?:A Banana:

Deal!

And you could have used any of these smilies instead of the doghouse one that doesn't exist. ;)

:A Bonk::A Naughty::A Shit::E Doh::E Laughing Face::E Nono::K Whip::K Whipping::P Judge::S Beat Dead Horse::S Lol::V Bangin::V Fish Slap::V Shooting Smiley::V Make My Day::V Guillotine::V Hang:

Listen man! Your wife is noted to be the Princess Bride, therefore I hear extreme value. You can not allow her safety to be compromised in the slightest. I am sure that a new Ruger Guide Gun in 375 would keep her safe.....and with the detachable muzzle break in place you would have modest recoil. As mentioned above you must put your foot down and demand that she face the bear with a new rifle capable of protecting her from that great beast.
Take the 7mm08 along for rabbits or just in case she demands to use it!!!

I agree on the new rifle. But, alas, on this dance, I believe it is ladies' choice!

I've never hunted and shot a bear... BUT I have hunted and shot many African plains game with the 308 calibre and NEVER a problem... it is not a long range calibre ( for me) so would not take it out for springbok on the wide open plains etc

The 160gr TTSX will have trouble expanding at 7-08 speeds. The 160gr A-Frame would have somewhat in the same trouble. You do NOT need a 160gr bullet for bear----especially in a 7-08. You would be better off with a 140gr Nosler Partition or Swift A-Frame. The Swift 150gr Scirocco would be another excellent choice.
I shoot the 110gr TTSX in my 7-08 and it preforms well.
I like the idea of the Scirocco also..Tough enough for anything but xpands a little easier than A-Frames.

Royal thanks for the laugh on the dog house icon. The advice on bullets for the 7-08 are spot on( Aframe, parttiton, and scirocco 140-160gr). It is enough rifle for black bears with bullet placement being king, the old 30/30 has put many a bear rug in the salt. But also coming from the school of have enough gun to get the job done when everything goes wrong. The 9.3x62 would be my first suggestion for a lady and the 338RCM would be second. (My wife used her's last may with great results and she swears by her rifle) Now the important one is that you will need a new 404 Jeff for backup to protector her from all the sasquach's up in that part of the world.

Just so you will know a black bear is not that hard to kill. They also do not have massive bones and such to break and get thru. A deer rifle cartridge works just fine. Most are not 500 pound animals and even those will die quickly with a deer cartridge shooting medium weight bullets. Use heavy slow expanding bullets and you will only poke little holes thru them.

A 160gr bullet in the 7-08 is a big mistake.

My B&C black bear was taken with a 200gr HP in a 44mag pistol. One shot.......thru the eye. He was very big and a 15.5 year old boar.

I am a big fan of the 7mm-08. However, I would be a little hesitant that it might be a little light for bear. Black bears come in a couple different varieties.... Smaller ones in middle to east Canada, to BIG coastal ones over toward BC & Alaska. Fall vs. Spring bears..... I'm sure you will get good feedback from group to go with confidence. Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuigrande

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross