Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
SCI Brush Country Chapter
Hunted
Kalahari; Limpopo, South Africa; Omay, Zimbabwe; Czech Republic; Mexico; Texas; New Mexico; Colorado
I booked this hunt at the Dallas Safari Club in January 2023 and made arrangements to hunt March 10-12th, squeezed in between the end of MLD Deer season on Texas and the start or Spring turkey season. I will choose to do a Review vs Report.

Country The Free Republic of Texas :LOL:
Dates March 10-12
Type of Hunt (Plains Game, Big Game, Cull, Bird...) Texas exotic
Method of Hunting (Rifle, Bow, Handgun…) 300 WSM Tikka lite. 180 gr Federal Fusion. I handed painted my stock after a member on here :love:
Outfitter 777 Ranch- Jeff Rann
PH Coleton
Agent none
Locations Hunted Hondo, Texas
Species Hunted Arabian Oryx
Trophy Quality Very good
Species Seen, Population and Quality of Game Observed Other 30 different species
Lodging Bungalow with main lodge for meals
Food Average
Activities Fishing. game drive
Travel Methods Open cab jeeps

High Points saw two kudu bulls over 60"s
Low Points segregated pastures
Things to Improve Update main lodge
Overall Rating B+
Would Recommend to a Friend? Depends on animal

During our 2021 trip to Zim, we built in a 24 hr layover in Dubai on the way back. We did a desert tour on one of the Prince's Preserves and got to see the Arabian Oryx on their natural habitat. Never did I think I'd get to hunt one, albeit in Texas.

While at the DSC, I noticed the 777 running "show special" for a package deal on Arabian. After speaking to the main guide, I decided what the hell I'd go for it. I have a gemsbok, a scimitar, a scimibok cross, so the Arabian would be the 4th oryx for me. Actually the 777 was breeding Arabian oryx for the Dubai Prince, but over the years the Prince had finally had a self-reliant herd in Dubai, thus I got the impression that the 777 now had a surplus resulting in opening more hunting for them. Just my impression! My wife would accompany me.

My wife and myself arrived to the main lodge and checked in around 1 pm on the first hunting day. We were assigned a private bungalow and met our guide- Coleton. Coleton is a 20 year old, fresh eyed, eager guide, relatively new to the guiding world but his energy would overcome any experience gaps. In a few years, I think it will be a top notch guide. I offered a few tid bits of advice from a guide with over 25 yrs experience :ROFLMAO:. To his credit, he was open to feedback.

We went to the range for the obligatory couple shots and right away I encountered an issue as I had brought the wrong wrench for my suppressor, which was attached to my 300WSM. I had intended to hunt with my Sako .270 WSM, but needed to switch the suppressor over. A pair of channel lock pliers was all I needed and we had those tools back at the lodge, but after speaking with Coleton, we decided to stick with the .300 WSM. Met a couple guys at the range, one from Nebraska the other from Oregon I believe. They were hunting together and racked up quite a few animals during their trip ;). I was there to solely hunt the Arabian Oryx.

Although it is usually warm for the middle of March even in Texas, we set out on a game drive around 3pm. The animals are up and we start to see lots of different stuff. I'm particularly impressed by their kudu numbers. I saw over 50 kudu bulls over the next 1.5 days.

777  1 bongo.jpg
777 2 kudu.jpg
777 3 kudu.jpg
777 4 kudu.jpg
777 5 kudu.jpg
777 6 kudu.jpg

After a few hours, we finally stumbled into the Arabian Oryx herd. Knowing we have several days to hunt and with the unusually high temps, I tell Coleton that I'd prefer not to shoot right now as I don't want to take any chances with the cape (I know us picky taxidermist). It does give us a chance to look over the herd and try to judge them the best we can. Being herd animals and constantly on the move would make that more challenging than I would have thought.

777 7 arabian.jpg
777 8 arabian.jpg
777 9 bongo.jpg

We removed around them and after 45 minutes of losing the herd, we were able to get in front of them as they paraded past us.

777 10 arabian uphill.jpg

I THINK we have it narrowed down to 2 shooters out of the herd of 10.

Light is fading as we move along looking at other critters. Here is one of the two breeding kudu bulls. They say he is 62-63"

777 11 kudu.jpg
777 12 kudu.jpg
777 13 bb.jpg
777 14 sable kudu.jpg

Good reading. Keep it coming!

Day Two- We meet up at the lodge for a cereal, fruit and coffee. Coleton is there and we are ready. It's very overcast this morning and temps are much better than the afternoon before, but still forecast to climb again later today. Plan is to return for brunch around 10:30 am. Oh the plans of mice and men, or something like that :LOL:

The one down side I mentioned in the Review are the segregated pastures. I'm not 100% for sure, but I think the whole ranch is 6k acres give or take. BUT... there are at least 15, probably more, sub-pastures with each containing certain animals. There could be the same species spread over multiple pastures or the more exotic/rare (thus more $$) tend to be in one, usually smaller pasture. Unfortunately, that is how most of the super exotics in Texas are conducted. I don't necessarily like it but not many options.

On our way to the very west pastures, we bump into a very nice lechwe, not sure if they consider it a red or Kafue, and a white bearded wildebeest.

777 15 lechwe.jpg
777 16 whte beard wb.jpg

Sorry for the picture quality as they are screen grabs off my video.

We arrive in the Coyote Ridge pasture and begin the search. This area has one, very high hill to the west which you can see down over several valleys below. Over the next two hours we only spot one ,lone broke horn Arabian Oryx that had been cast from the herd. We spot kudu, Besia Oryx, a couple blackbuck but not the big Arabian herd from the day before. We finally leave our vantage point and move to the lowest area next to a water hole, where we had left them the night before. Nothing.

Finally around 10:30 we spot two white spots on the very back ridge of the vantage point. With the brush being so thick, we couldn't see that area from earlier. We stalk into position and actually run into 3 oryx that are walking our way on the same trail. We are not able to positively ID one for the shooters. They are aware of us and pivot 180 degrees and go back they way they came. Based on the wind, we make a complete circle around the hill to come in from the back side and they way there were last headed. That's when we bump a group of kudu bulls with the second breeder bull estimated at 60"s.

777 17 kudu.jpg

You can tell it's thick in here, maybe even Zimbabwe jess thick @Kevin Peacocke !!

Sorry for the delay but life interrupted ;)

Bumping the small herd of kudu bulls, approx 5 in total, sent the oryx headed the other direction. The direction where we had just bumped into them 45 min earlier :Banghead:. We back tracked out again. This time we made a much larger circle back to the waterhole in the valley. Another 1 hr searching was fruitless other than seeing every other animals- besia oryx, blackbuck, aoudad, kudu-lots of kudu ! We are way over due for 10:30 brunch back at the lodge. The cloud cover has broke and the sun is beaming. It has warmed up fast. We decide to check the ridge top one more time before heading back for lunch and a break. As we rounded the corner, I'll be danged if the herd isn't grassing on the south slope. We have the wind right and go unnoticed. They are all together in relatively open spot in the thick brush. This time we are able to locate the two shooters and I decide on the heavier horned one. The shot is good and the bull makes 10 steps before coming to a complete stop. He has that look he might tip at any second. And then he does. The other bulls in the herd scatter but only 100 yards of so before they look back his way then go back to feeding.

These Arabian Oryx are much smaller in body than gemsbok or even scimitar oryx. His horn mass is apparent as we approach. World Record in 31"s. He's not going to top that but he's a very solid bull. When booking the hunt as DSC, the range manager estimated the bulls would be 26-28"s. After a few quick pics, we load him up as it's well over 90 degrees already. My face is flush from the events of the past 30 mins. A quick measure has him over 28". We are very happy.

777 18 sticks.jpg

arabian oryx 1.png
arabian oryx 2.png

Last edited by a moderator:
We took a siesta at camp and decided to do a little bass fishing in the multiple stock ponds on the ranch and ended the evening for a short game drive.

Other animals we saw:

Nubian Ibex

777 18 nubian ibex.jpg

Dama Gazelle
777 19 dama gazelle.jpg

Nile Lechwe
777 20 nile lechwe.jpg

Gemsbok
777 21 gemsbok.jpg

Himalayan Tar
777 22 tar.jpg

They had a herd of well over 100 eland with lots of calves running around
777 23 eland.jpg

Water buffalo
777 24 waterbuff.jpg

Last edited:
At last light we ran into some very nice aoudad.

777 25 aoudad.jpg
777 26 aoudad.jpg
777 27 aoudad.jpg
777 28 aoudad.jpg

Once I got home, and a couple days settled, I did a more complete measurement and found out the bull would be in the Top 20 SCI for NA Introduced. I recently had him scored by a SCI Master Measurer and have submitted the paperwork. Should be around #13 or #14.

Other animals we saw- they had a small herd of six cape buffalo bulls, eastern impala, springbok, grants and tommie gazelle, red sheep, scimitar oryx, tons of axis, fallow, sika, red stag, elk, zebra and I'm sure other stuff I can't remember. :oops:

Seems I've turned a Review into a Report of sorts......

Other animals we saw- they had a small herd of six cape buffalo bulls, eastern impala, springbok, grants and tommie gazelle, red sheep, scimitar oryx, tons of axis, fallow, sika, red stag, elk, zebra and I'm sure other stuff I can't remember. :oops:

Seems I've turned a Review into a Report of sorts......
Thanks for the great review report;)

And especially for all the great pictures:)

Thanks for write up and photos. I know this is a hunt I’d probably never do, but just seeing that ranch and animals in Texas looks like a cool experience. The trophy quality is impressive.

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Thanks for write up and photos. I know this is a hunt I’d probably never do, but just seeing that ranch and animals in Texas looks like a cool experience. The trophy quality is impressive.

Yeah not something I'd do very often either. The scarce ability of this particular animal is what drew me in, along with the reputation of the ranch. The segregated pastures were the biggest turn off. Seeing all the animals was the biggest bonus. Some were easier to hunt than others but make no mistake, chasing the right animal could be challenging in the right scenario.

Another grand experience without the awful long flights! LOL!

Very cool trophy, congratulations! I’ve followed them for years thinking to hunt axis and blackbuck. Will have to get more serious about it

I found this on here from way back

Also a short video I was able to take in Dubai back in 2021- I know now this bull was a beast!

Sorry for the typos throughout the write up- I didn't do a good job for proofing.

I booked this hunt at the Dallas Safari Club in January 2023 and made arrangements to hunt March 10-12th, squeezed in between the end of MLD Deer season on Texas and the start or Spring turkey season. I will choose to do a Review vs Report.

Country The Free Republic of Texas :LOL:
Dates March 10-12
Type of Hunt (Plains Game, Big Game, Cull, Bird...) Texas exotic
Method of Hunting (Rifle, Bow, Handgun…) 300 WSM Tikka lite. 180 gr Federal Fusion. I handed painted my stock after a member on here :love:
Outfitter 777 Ranch- Jeff Rann
PH Coleton
Agent none
Locations Hunted Hondo, Texas
Species Hunted Arabian Oryx
Trophy Quality Very good
Species Seen, Population and Quality of Game Observed Other 30 different species
Lodging Bungalow with main lodge for meals
Food Average
Activities Fishing. game drive
Travel Methods Open cab jeeps

High Points saw two kudu bulls over 60"s
Low Points segregated pastures
Things to Improve Update main lodge
Overall Rating B+
Would Recommend to a Friend? Depends on animal

During our 2021 trip to Zim, we built in a 24 hr layover in Dubai on the way back. We did a desert tour on one of the Prince's Preserves and got to see the Arabian Oryx on their natural habitat. Never did I think I'd get to hunt one, albeit in Texas.

While at the DSC, I noticed the 777 running "show special" for a package deal on Arabian. After speaking to the main guide, I decided what the hell I'd go for it. I have a gemsbok, a scimitar, a scimibok cross, so the Arabian would be the 4th oryx for me. Actually the 777 was breeding Arabian oryx for the Dubai Prince, but over the years the Prince had finally had a self-reliant herd in Dubai, thus I got the impression that the 777 now had a surplus resulting in opening more hunting for them. Just my impression! My wife would accompany me.

My wife and myself arrived to the main lodge and checked in around 1 pm on the first hunting day. We were assigned a private bungalow and met our guide- Coleton. Coleton is a 20 year old, fresh eyed, eager guide, relatively new to the guiding world but his energy would overcome any experience gaps. In a few years, I think it will be a top notch guide. I offered a few tid bits of advice from a guide with over 25 yrs experience :ROFLMAO:. To his credit, he was open to feedback.

We went to the range for the obligatory couple shots and right away I encountered an issue as I had brought the wrong wrench for my suppressor, which was attached to my 300WSM. I had intended to hunt with my Sako .270 WSM, but needed to switch the suppressor over. A pair of channel lock pliers was all I needed and we had those tools back at the lodge, but after speaking with Coleton, we decided to stick with the .300 WSM. Met a couple guys at the range, one from Nebraska the other from Oregon I believe. They were hunting together and racked up quite a few animals during their trip ;). I was there to solely hunt the Arabian Oryx.

Although it is usually warm for the middle of March even in Texas, we set out on a game drive around 3pm. The animals are up and we start to see lots of different stuff. I'm particularly impressed by their kudu numbers. I saw over 50 kudu bulls over the next 1.5 days.

View attachment 538275View attachment 538276View attachment 538277View attachment 538278View attachment 538279View attachment 538280
Love you shared hunt and detail provided. Blessed to get to hear them live as well. Thank you for letting us walk in your shoes!

Sounds like a fun trip. I'm familiar with most of those but what is that animal in the very 1st picture?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hi88vipsite

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg