72 hour COVID test requirement

Edward Dutra

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
SCI
Hunted
South Africa
I leave from SFO November 21 and need a COVID test no earlier than Wednesday November 18. Does anyone know where in Northern California I can get the test? JNB is my destination for hunt with JP big game safaris. Thanks

I think you’ll find lots options when you start looking. Problem with most locations is guaranteeing the 72 hour result because your trip depends on it. These specialize in travel and is what I’m going to do.
On a mailing list I got yesterday, it had this requirement for South Africa as well if you decide to go with a at home mail in test have it done at your doctors office to avoid any problems. I see the passport health has lots California locations though.
“Travelers visiting South Africa will be expected to produce a PCR (polymerase chain reaction) test that is not older than 72 hours from the time of departure from the country of origin to South Africa. This test must be conducted by a certified medical practitioner and should have the name and signature of the practitioner who conducted such test.”

Thanks for the help. I drove 380+ mile to Pittsburg Ca and tested negative. I experienced empty airports and almost empty airplanes going and returning. No one asked to see my COVID test results go figure. I enjoyed another amazing adventure with JP big game safaris. And of course my itchy trigger finger resulted in two buffalo instead of one. Plan to go back to Mozambique for a Nile crocodile on lake Cahorra bassa .

I would love to read about the double buffalo!!

Thanks for the help. I drove 380+ mile to Pittsburg Ca and tested negative. I experienced empty airports and almost empty airplanes going and returning. No one asked to see my COVID test results go figure. I enjoyed another amazing adventure with JP big game safaris. And of course my itchy trigger finger resulted in two buffalo instead of one. Plan to go back to Mozambique for a Nile crocodile on lake Cahorra bassa .
Wow, late November. How toasty was that weather?

The weather was never above 91 degrees Fahrenheit and in the 70s if overcast . The thick leafed out bush made hunting in a 12,500 acre block a challenge.

If you will use the search function here, you will find a rather rich dialogue with respect to Pace and not much of it flattering.

Last edited:
My question is 'how did you get the signature part'? SA says' medical practitioner name and signature of practitioner who conducted test'. We plan on going May 15. But up here in Washington state, when ask about getting a signature, its like unheard of. So have doctor order test, drive to other location for test, then with results in hand hunt down the doctor to sign? All under the 36 hours! We lose 24 hours in the math of night time, drive to airport [ 6hrs] and 3 hours ahead of flight time.
This is my LAST hurdler to figure out. First time to SA for plains hunt.

My question is 'how did you get the signature part'? SA says' medical practitioner name and signature of practitioner who conducted test'. We plan on going May 15. But up here in Washington state, when ask about getting a signature, its like unheard of. So have doctor order test, drive to other location for test, then with results in hand hunt down the doctor to sign? All under the 36 hours! We lose 24 hours in the math of night time, drive to airport [ 6hrs] and 3 hours ahead of flight time.
This is my LAST hurdler to figure out. First time to SA for plains hunt.
I have talked with Covid Consultants, here is their response to Dr signature requirment. "Patients have used our tests for travel to South Africa in the past. Since regulations are subject to change, we recommend patients keep a close eye on the regulations. Each result is signed by the lab director. I am aware of a few patients who have requested letters from our doctor that conveys the results of the test in the past, which we would be more than happy to provide upon request."

For the sake of my old parents, I do a PCR Covid test every week, (paid by our government, they can also do something for us for once).
Our PCR tests in Germany are all unsigned and people are flying them to Namibia and South Africa by the dozen.Never heard of any of them having problems with them.
@Edward Dutra-380 miles,over 600 kilometers drive for a simple Covid test !!!
May I ask you this? Do you live on the back side of the moon?

For the sake of my old parents, I do a PCR Covid test every week, (paid by our government, they can also do something for us for once).
Our PCR tests in Germany are all unsigned and people are flying them to Namibia and South Africa by the dozen.Never heard of any of them having problems with them.
@Edward Dutra-380 miles,over 600 kilometers drive for a simple Covid test !!!
May I ask you this? Do you live on the back side of the moon?
What is your guaranteed timeline for getting a test result in Germany? The problem in many parts of USA especially outside major cities is guaranteed results in the time frame required for travel. Most publish 3-4 days for results but won’t promise an exact time frame, which will force you to look for ones that do or have a high likelihood of giving a quicker result. It’s getting better though.

I now have some experience with various tests.
All the PCR results I got on my cell phone within 30 hours (not including the weekend).
The written message was in my mailbox two days later(two days after testing).

The antigen tests in the pharmacies (self-pay 12.- € ) you have in 15 minutes.
However, these are not as precise as PCR because you need a high viral load for the antigen tests to work.

You mean paid for by the citizens of Germany..

Government is merely spending your money on you (almost always inefficiently) rather than you spending money on you..

PCR tests in the US typically can be turned around in less than 1 hour. You just have to find a clinic that is set up to do this. In the large cities its pretty simple (I have at least 2 clinics within 5 miles of me that I know of that do a "rapid" PCR test).

The challenge is in the smaller cities and towns where they may not have a clinic at all.. or the clinic may not be set up for "rapid testing".

But if you are willing to drive to the closest major city.. Getting a test with results back within an hour should be no problem..

You mean paid for by the citizens of Germany..

Government is merely spending your money on you (almost always inefficiently) rather than you spending money on you..
Yes, of course, if you want to see it that way.
Other states in Germany do not pay for the test, Bavaria does.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois