7.5 x 55 Swiss Smith/Ruben K31 rifle

I have a neighbor with one its like new, i wonder how they machined the complicated parts in that era, its built like a Swiss watch. He has fitted a 2x scout scope, the mount replaces the rear sight i have shot 2 moa 5 shot groups with it,
Beautiful rifle & it had the original owners card under the but plate. He loads PPU brass with Hornady 155 grain match .308 dia bullets with Lee dies. There is a lot of near new versions of these rifles for sale in Australia at the present time .

Last edited:
That is beyond ridiculous.
I am still angry about those thieves...they stole a lot of items. Please members if you bring items for us South African hunters make sure it is a direct flight, do not bring any items when the plane has a stop over in any arabian country, the arabs steal it ...then they pretend not to understand English...

I have a neighbor with one its like new, i wonder how they machined the complicated parts in that era, its built like a Swiss watch. He has fitted a 2x scout scope, the mount replaces the rear sight i have shot 2 moa 5 shot groups with it,
Beautiful rifle & it had the original owners card under the but plate. He loads PPU brass with Hornady 155 grain match .308 dia bullets with Lee dies. There is a lot of near new versions of these rifles for sale in Australia at the present time .
It seems I will revert to shoot only PPU ammo, the reloading seems a challenge since it is a .306 " bore..but literature suggest shooting .308 " ammo through it is fine???I would like member`s opinion in this regards???Shooting a /308" bullet through a .306 " bore????

I will try to purchase a clamp on scope mount from the USA based Swiss company ..maybe this time I will get it to SA... (y)

I shoot .308 bullets through my K31. I measured the GP11 bullets at .3075 with my calipers.
Wyatt do you suggest I shoot the .308 " bullet , it will make reloading for this rifle a lot more easier (y) (y)

It seems I will revert to shoot only PPU ammo, the reloading seems a challenge since it is a .306 " bore..but literature suggest shooting .308 " ammo through it is fine???I would like member`s opinion in this regards???Shooting a /308" bullet through a .306 " bore????
Gert I went through this when trying to reload for my Mannlicher Schoenauer 9x56MS. .002” will not be an issue. .004” or up may start raising pressures as it did cause sticky bolt lift in my gun. I solved it by ordering a swaging die and running 358 through it to reduce to 354 which is what my bore size was. You will have no trouble with 308 bullets.

Gert I went through this when trying to reload for my Mannlicher Schoenauer 9x56MS. .002” will not be an issue. .004” or up may start raising pressures as it did cause sticky bolt lift in my gun. I solved it by ordering a swaging die and running 358 through it to reduce to 354 which is what my bore size was. You will have no trouble with 308 bullets.
Thank you kindly MS your advice is much appreciated Sir (y) (y)

Thank you kindly MS your advice is much appreciated Sir (y) (y)
What bullets would you suggest I use for this k31 rifle?? Owners of the K31 rifle `s opinions will be much appreciated as well target shooting as well as hunting ..one bullet that will do both types of shooting?? I am using AR 17 as propellant

I have used Hornady Interlock 165 gr for whitetail deer here, they work great , and shoot very well out of a bunch of k31's I have. For African game maybe a little tougher bullet.

Gert did you mean RL17? It is a swiss powder and works perfect in the 7.5x55

Some pics of antique swiss revolvers from the 1800's , they function perfect and still look almost new. The swiss had some wonderful manufacturing methods and really took care of their stuff.

Screenshot_20220411-133406.png

I have used Hornady Interlock 165 gr for whitetail deer here, they work great , and shoot very well out of a bunch of k31's I have. For African game maybe a little tougher bullet.

Gert did you mean RL17? It is a swiss powder and works perfect in the 7.5x55
Yes, Machinist Allient Powder Reloader 17 , I think it is the same type of propellant used in the GP-11 ammo

What bullets would you suggest I use for this k31 rifle?? Owners of the K31 rifle `s opinions will be much appreciated as well target shooting as well as hunting ..one bullet that will do both types of shooting?? I am using AR 17 as propellant
Since those G-11 bullets work so well I would look for a boat tail bullet with a long ogive such as the current craze of long range heavy for caliber bullets. The Hornady ELD-X is an example. Just my suggestion.

Since those G-11 bullets work so well I would look for a boat tail bullet with a long ogive such as the current craze of long range heavy for caliber bullets. The Hornady ELD-X is an example. Just my suggestion.
That is my sentiments exactly..a very long bullet with a long ogive ...like the Lapua scenar bullets???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg