AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Canada, South Africa
Gentlemen, I will need you to dig deep into the depths of your minds!

As I was reading another post on here about the beloved 9.3x62, I started to wonder if a 9.3 had ever been built on a necked up 8x68s. Old Uncle Google doesn't have much for info, but it seems like Husqvarna MAY have chambered rifles as 9.3x68s.

Do any of you have any info on this cartridge? How does it compare to its 62 and 64mm cousins? The 8x68s is only 2gr H2O shy of the 64, and I would assume that opening the neck for the larger bullet would increase its case capacity.

While we are at it, it seems like a 7mm may have grabbed a bit more traction, or at least I can find an account of one being built.

It seems to me like a pretty impressive stable could be built from 6.5mm-9.3mm, what do you guys think? And please leave the logic and reasoning at the door!

Gentlemen, I will need you to dig deep into the depths of your minds!

As I was reading another post on here about the beloved 9.3x62, I started to wonder if a 9.3 had ever been built on a necked up 8x68s. Old Uncle Google doesn't have much for info, but it seems like Husqvarna MAY have chambered rifles as 9.3x68s.

Do any of you have any info on this cartridge? How does it compare to its 62 and 64mm cousins? The 8x68s is only 2gr H2O shy of the 64, and I would assume that opening the neck for the larger bullet would increase its case capacity.

While we are at it, it seems like a 7mm may have grabbed a bit more traction, or at least I can find an account of one being built.

It seems to me like a pretty impressive stable could be built from 6.5mm-9.3mm, what do you guys think? And please leave the logic and reasoning at the door!

Glad you said leave the logic etc at the door :E Rofl: :D Beers:.....

Glad you said leave the logic etc at the door :E Rofl: :D Beers:.....
You have to admit a matching set of four rifles 6.5, 7, 8, and 9.3 would look pretty impressive, even to a Brit!

Here’s a post I found regarding the 7mm:

“Have been playing with a 7mm wildcat made on an 8x68s case. Finally got the cartridge design about right(after a couple reamers) and it seems just about right for me. I am shooting 78 gr. RL 33 in front of 180 Berger hybrid, 215 federal primer. Shot 2 5 shot groups yesterday both in the .2s and the velocity averaged 3110. It probably isn't worth the time and money I have put into it but has been fun just the same. I like the RWS brass too. Many good 7s out there and here is another.”

Start with the 9.3 ...think would be interesting....so will be waiting to see how it turns out :A Thumbs Up:
If you find the project, I’ll see it through to fruition. Know a good spot we could test it out on some game?

Attachments

• tabical-en-page141.pdf
    109.2 KB · Views: 58
  • 8-5-x-68-fanzoj-en.pdf
    22.7 KB · Views: 63
If you find the project, I’ll see it through to fruition. Know a good spot we could test it out on some game?

Think you will have slightly more chance of finding it over there than me here.... :E Big Grin:...and yup sure can think of somewhere it can be tested...;):A Thumbs Up:

Think you will have slightly more chance of finding it over there than me here.... :E Big Grin:...and yup sure can think of somewhere it can be tested...;):A Thumbs Up:
Fund, not find. Sorry fat fingers strike again.
A Takeri sable would be the perfect test me thinks!

I am a 9,3x64 addict (I own three weapons in this caliber), but I am not aware of any existing wildcats in 9,3 based on 8x68S brass.

I know two calibers in .375" and in .338" listed in CIP and based on 8x68S:

There there exists a .338 PPV (similar to the 8,5 Fanzoj but 60° shoulder) and the 7mm BooBoo...
Interesting! Do the CIP drawings list capacity? I didn’t see it, but I’m not familiar with reading them.

Thanks for the heads up on the BooBoo, info on that seems more readily available than punching in 7x68s.

@Gert Odendaal? You seem to be a 68s aficionado
I do like the 8x68S more than other calibers, to me the 10.75x73 and 8x68S are the ultimate hunting rifles . I do have a 8x68S neck up to accommodate a .338 diameter bullet, it is named by the South African originator Chris van Niekerk , living in Cape Town as the .338 Umfezi ( type of South African snake here in South Africa)
Chris van Niekerk designed various calibers based on the 8x68 case as well.. and a 7x57 caliber the Intombi (small girl in the Zulu African language )

Attachments

• Results_20180811.pdf
    109 KB · Views: 41
Ole A Molvær made a .30 and a .338 OAM on 8x68S case.

He and a cpuple of other Norwegian gunmakers students whildt in Colorado made the same and other chamberings on x68 case ,or shortly after putting up their firm.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a .338 Umfezi barrel, 30" long...I am contemplating reaming it to the .338 Imperial Magnum ..I already bought all reloading components from the originator Aubrey White who sadly passed away last year . I will then sell the Umfezi reloading dies , it is custom made by Chris Van Niekerk.

I now need a custom accurate action to build this long range hunting shooting fun rifle ..if any member has an action available and is not using it for a long range hunting project I really would like to hear from you .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Efren35C00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross