cal pappas

Contributor
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Gents:
For your viewing pleasure (no, not Janet Reno in a thong) are two of my doubles. The 8-bore is from Walter Locke and retailed in India about 1890s. Bore diameter is a large .875", 24-inch barrels and a weight of 17 pounds. She shoots a 1000-grain ball or a 1620-grain conical with equal accuracy with Blue Dot (up to 100 grains) or FFg GOEX (10-12-14 drams or 275-330-385 grains). I called in a moose with the Locke in hand but the antlers were below the 50-inch mark so it was illegal and I did not shoot.

Below are two pics of my beloved .600 nitro by John Wilkes from April of 1914. 26-inch barrels 15 1/2 pounds. Non ejector. Shoots 3 inches all day at 50 yards with a 900-grain Woodleigh soft or solid and 160 grains of IMR 4831 (155 grains for the solid). Original regulation was for 110 grains of cordite. The .600 has taken several cape and water buffalo, hippo, moose, and plains game.

Enjoy, many more to come.
Cal

IMG_1890.JPG
IMG_1882.JPG
IMG_1884.JPG

Bullthrower338

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, NRA, Huntin' Fool, DSC and Pope and Young Club
Hunted
USA, Mexico, Canada, RSA, Australia NT, Zimbabwe
Love the rifles, still a little sick over janet Reno in a thong!

Red Leg

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Zambia, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
Love the 8 Bore. Buddy took one (big falling block single) to the Selous and took a buff with it. Everything worked as advertised. Used the big conical.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pureverags

Latest profile posts

NTH wrote on JimT's profile.
Hey Jim, I read that you’re from Dequincey and just returned from Africa. I’m from Lake Charles and went there in April. What outfitter did you use and would you share your experience and pics? I won our trip to Kuche through DU.
gprippers wrote on SAFARIKIDD's profile.
Hello! Nice rifle! I have IDENTICAL rifle in 375 H&H so i was wondering what gunsmith did the work on it? Appreciate it and if you decide there is anything you are willing to take in partial trade, let me know. I have quite a few pistols, long guns and sxs & o/u shotguns as well.

Let me know if you are looking for anything in particular.

Thanks,
Rob
Bearhunter46 wrote on Philip Glass's profile.
Philip, do you still have the 416 for sale?
NTH wrote on Rick HOlbert's profile.
Nice “meeting” you Rick. I made my first trip to S. Africa this year through Kuche Safaris. We had an incredible time. What outfitter do you use? Neal
LIFE-FORM TAXIDERMY World Leader In Superior Taxidermy Since 1981

taxidermy-south-africa.jpg