Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Eastern Cape, SA; KY, OH, IN, WI, AL, KS, ND, TX-USA
I'm interested in the comparison of the above referenced calibers for hunting? Is one actually better than the other in similar modern sporting rifles for the range of medium size game into large game? I own a Ruger RSI No. 1 and a Sauer 100XT in 6.5x55mm, and recently picked up a 1916 2nd Pattern 7mm Mauser (put it a Choate stock, replaced the rear sight with a S&K mount and have a Vortex 2x7 scout scope for a rainy day rifle). I've shot zero deer with these rifles, all purchases over the last year. After I looked at the Winchester Featherweight offered by @TOBY458 on the Classifieds here I had a tough time not to respond to it. I understand the choices for heavier bullets in 7mm, does give you some larger game options. Is it that much more significant at ranges out to 300 yards? Where I hunt whitetails a long shot is 100 yards, so that is a wash, at least in my book. Opinions appreciated.
Regards,
Ron

Basically what one will do the other will do just as well.

Which means that with similar weight bullets, say 140 grains, the Swede will have higher sectional density....my first two big game rifles....a Swede followed by the 7 Mauser.......could see no real difference.......FWB

but then the 7mm will use a 160+gn and still have the edge.
bruce.

I own both calibers as well, any differences between the two are marginal at best, especially at the distances the OP mentioned. This is one case where an individual could flip a coin and never loose.

They are both outstanding. Shoot them and enjoy them. Another question one might ask is why is the 6.5 Creedmore so popular? What has it brought to the table that we did not already have with the Swede?

I shot a 7mm08 with a 120 nosler BT at 2900-3000 fps and a rem .260 with a 12o gr nosler at close to the same fps and they both will kill deer size animals to 300+yards if you can but the bullet in the right place.

DSCN1258 (2).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
They are both outstanding. Shoot them and enjoy them. Another question one might ask is why is the 6.5 Creedmore so popular? What has it brought to the table that we did not already have with the Swede?

It's a short action cartridge. For some people, that seems to give some sort of psychological advantage. I'm given to understand that magazine length for many 6.5 CM offerings is too short for Woodleigh 160/Noram 156/Lapua 155. Some guys may not have a problem with that. I like shooting heavy-for-caliber.

WAB, the short answer to your question is nothing. Especially if you reload.

The technical differences:

Creed was designed for short actions, 2.825” vs 3.15” for Swede. Same reason for 6.5x47 Lapua at 2.795”, easily run long 140 gr pills in a short action for shooting sports.

The Creed & Lapua also run higher pressures vs Swede.

On the practical side, not much of a difference! That’s why I run a 6.5 x 284 :D

Back to OP, not a big enough difference between the rounds to really differentiate. Put either bullet in the right place and you will collect your animal.

Have bought or built a few 7x57's over the years and a couple of 6.5's with the latest being a 6.5x57 and loading both to their optimum there is no practical difference. Bullet choice (weight and style) is just as important as the caliber for these two.

but then the 7mm will use a 160+gn and still have the edge.
bruce.
The 6.5 runs a 160 as well, and will have a better ballistic advantage. I doubt any animal would know the difference if properly hit.

It's a short action cartridge. For some people, that seems to give some sort of psychological advantage. I'm given to understand that magazine length for many 6.5 CM offerings is too short for Woodleigh 160/Noram 156/Lapua 155. Some guys may not have a problem with that. I like shooting heavy-for-caliber.
Higher pressure rating of Creepmoor allows higher MV out of shorter barrel. Difference increases with lighter bullets but even with Sako Deerhead factory ammo the 156gr Oryx bullet is going out 35m/s faster out of undefined test barrel. Difference is about the same with 120gr TTSX. For practically minded hunter going after deer within 300m range, that means creedmoor can be chopped couple inches shorter and have same performance of longer barreled swede. Use those saved inches for small suppressor and you have a gun that kills like .308 and kicks like .22LR. Pushed to maximum reach with hand loads, swede will have slight edge but those distances are hardly relevant for hunting.

i shoot a 120 gr nosler BT at over 2900 fps out of a rem sps 7mm08 with a 20" barrel with no signs of pressure. compare the 6.5x55 in a modern rifle that will handle higher pressure , like my cz 550 6.5x55-1x8 twist and the 6.5 cm comes up a little short with any bullets.

We're comparing two sort of similarly awesome things (soft recoil, great BC, classic cartridges) but there are differences.

Max bullet sizes: 160gr 6.5mm versus 180gr 7mm.

Optimal bullet weight if shooting heavy-for-caliber: 140gr vs 175gr.

But beyond that, the 7mm bullet choices are built for larger, thicker skinned game. This goes back to the era where it was used for brain shots on dangerous game along with the modern era where high performance elk bullets are made for 7mm cartridges. I'm talking about solids, swift a-frames, and even the 150gr 7mm barnes ttsx.

I like both. I have and do own several of them and their rimmed cousins. My thinking is that if you're not going to Africa and you're living in the US east, midwest, south, or in eastern Canada the Swede is just fine. If you're contemplating elk or Africa there are better bullets with better outcomes available in the 7x57.

Don't take my preference to suggest anything but great respect for the 6.5x55.

Higher pressure rating of Creepmoor allows higher MV out of shorter barrel. Difference increases with lighter bullets but even with Sako Deerhead factory ammo the 156gr Oryx bullet is going out 35m/s faster out of undefined test barrel. Difference is about the same with 120gr TTSX. For practically minded hunter going after deer within 300m range, that means creedmoor can be chopped couple inches shorter and have same performance of longer barreled swede. Use those saved inches for small suppressor and you have a gun that kills like .308 and kicks like .22LR. Pushed to maximum reach with hand loads, swede will have slight edge but those distances are hardly relevant for hunting.

That I'm aware of, only the Krag Jorgensens have pressure issues. I'm getting 2750 fps out of my T3X with NP 120 sitting on top of IMR4831. And that's with a mid-range powder charge. Didn't see any point to push it harder when I already had a 1 MOA load at that velocity.

FWIW, looking at my reloading books (Hornady, Nosler, Norma, Swift, Woodleigh, Lyman, and Western Powders), I don't see any velocity difference between them, and all the test barrels are either 23" or 24". The powders listed for both are similar, and all in the bottom 1/3 of the burn rate charts.

compare the 6.5x55 in a modern rifle that will handle higher pressure , like my cz 550 6.5x55-1x8 twist and the 6.5 cm comes up a little short with any bullets.

This EXACTLY. Look at who really pushes the 6.5 Creedmoor (Hornady) and then look at latest Hornady reloading manual. They could have chosen CZ, Tikka, Winchester, Howa etc to show what 6.5 Swede does.
Nope, used an M96. Don't want to show up one of their pets.

I've owned 7x57 and loved them. I don't have anymore. Have three swedes though. Don't think I could chose one over the other.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OmaMcGill

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg