6.5x55mm Swede vs 7x57mm Mauser?

My info is dated and doesn’t include creed more, but back in the 6.5x284 vs 6.5x55 days, it was a wash. The higher power 6.5s weren’t as accurate with a max load as a mid-load. The Swede was most accurate with a compressed load. Thus, loaded for accuracy, the velocity of each optimally was a wash.

My info is dated and doesn’t include creed more, but back in the 6.5x284 vs 6.5x55 days, it was a wash. The higher power 6.5s weren’t as accurate with a max load as a mid-load. The Swede was most accurate with a compressed load. Thus, loaded for accuracy, the velocity of each optimally was a wash.

I have 2, 6.5-284. One savage model 12, 30" barrel, 142 grain SMK 3090 velocity. One savage model 116 #3 26" barrel, 143 grain ELD-X 3020 velocity. I have not seen the 6.5X55 getting those velocities
As far as accuracy both rifles are 1000 yard guns. Both are factory rifles not customs

I would not try to get those speeds in a Swedish 100 year old army rifle either, but put it in a modern rifle with N-560 and the same barrel lenth the 6.5 swede gets close. also the case for the 6.5-284 holds more powder that the 6.5 swede, compare the 6.5-284 to the 6.5-06, both case hold about the same amount of powder.

Last edited:
Hi,

Being this two cartridges very similar, for larger game, the 7x57 has the advantage of the greater bullet diameter and weight with same velocity and trajectory of the 6,5x55 with lighter bullets. I would chose the 7mm Mauser!

I just tried something for giggles. Using QuickLoad I ran a simulation using a 143 Gr Hornady ELD-X with my load through a 29" barrel (the Swede's original length) and got a velocity of 2986 FPS. I know this is only theoretical but I think it shows that my hundred year old Sweetheart doesn't leave much on the table. Yes it is true that the 7x57 can handle a heavier bullet, but what bullet weight is most commonly used, is it not 140 Gr? The Swede is most often loaded with that same weight bullet. Being truthful, I too would give a slight edge to the 7x57 especially for larger animals, but for deer sized game its a coin toss.

Both outstanding cartridges. I use the 175 gr A-Frame in my 7x57 for plains game. Penetration is incredible.

yes but who wants to use a 160 gn roundnose in the swede for general use?
in fact for whitetail sized game and pigs, a 120 gn spitzer is far superior.
equivalent to that in 7mm is a 140 gn bullet which take it from me going head to head culling is a more reliable tool.
we are talking at least 1000 head of animals here.
bruce.

I own both. If you are shooting whitetails at 100 yards, pick either - it makes no difference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lepani

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!