6.5x55 Win M70- Nosler ballistic tip and Hornady Interlok bullets

Thanks for the advise, I have been searching all around including GB. Gun was custom barreled for me, reamer was made by Dave Manson of Manson Reamers. Dave and I went back and forth on the final reamer design throated for 140gr.
@scott fairchild
Dave manson is a great bloke to work with. He helped with the design of my 25.
The beauty of his reamers is he we I'll make any changes you want and do the job ag not extra charge to the original price.
Bob

Dave is a very good friend and hunting buddy of mine. It is nice to have friends like Dave, we often bounce ideas off each other and having access to their level of experience makes shooting and hunting a very enjoyable.

I have not hunted africa but the ballsitic tip seemed lack luster on wild hogs. Hornady interlock seemed to do well and in the 6.5 and 264 I have been using 155 Lapua megas. They are performing rather well on hogs up to 350-400lbs breaking both shoulders and exiting.

I have taken a number of animals with the Hornaday Interlock, up to & including our Elk. I've had great results. I think if you stay in the velocity design limits, I don't run them over 2800fps, you will have good results.
But probably not with the Swede right?

I would thing that 140gr interlocks at 2700-2800fps would perform very well from the old swede.
Perhaps but I was just looking for clarification. He didnt say what calibers.

I almost forgot, I did take a Prong Horn Antelope with the 140gr Hornaday Spire Pt interlock with the 6.5 Creedmoor. I've said before I consider the 6.5 Creedmoor as the 6.5X55 in a readily available rifle.

I almost forgot, I did take a Prong Horn Antelope with the 140gr Hornaday Spire Pt interlock with the 6.5 Creedmoor. I've said before I consider the 6.5 Creedmoor as the 6.5X55 in a readily available rifle.
Took a Montana lope years ago with a Rem 700 Classic in .257 Roberts. Used 115 gr Nosler Ballistic tips. Dropped with one shot and close to 300 yards.

I'm far from expert and everyone that's posted thus far probably knows more than I ever will but if I were taking a smaller caliber to Africa, I'd darn sure be looking for a tougher bullet than a ballistic tip or even the interlock even for whitetail sized game. In my opinion, you're trading a higher chance for a DRT for a lower overall chance for recovery. You'll have a team of folks to help you track if needed. I'd send a few hours on the internet looking for a bonded bullet or an a-frame/partition. You're going to Africa don't worry about trying to save $45 on bullets...just my thoughts.

I was able to find some 160g Woodleighs RN Bullet and had a chance to do some load development over the weekend. I was very impressed with how they shot. Here is a picture of the OCW test with 10 different loads.

F40CE3EB-BC3C-4C5A-A711-5D9606726372.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, sort of. Not all 6.5 CMs can accommodate bullets in the 155-160 gr class - namely Norma, Woodleigh, and Lapua (and Hornady 160 gr RN, but I wouldn't use that in Africa)

IDK from 1st hand experience, but I have read that on some 6.5CMs, the magazine is too short to hold cartridges loaded with those bullets loooong heavy bullets

If you can hand load Hornady ELD-X 143 and they fit in the mag, then the mag will fit the 155-160 gr. Just pay attention to your seating, because the ogive on the heavies is a bit further out than on ELD-X

L-to-R
Partition 125 gr
ELD-X 143 gr
Lapua Mega 155 gr
Woodleigh 160 gr
1635277778829.png

I recently rebarreled my Win M70 to 6.5 x 55 Swede. I plan to use this next year in Africa for Plains game and would like to get your thoughts on the bullets which I have been able to acquire. I have both Nosler 140g Ballistics tips and 140g Hornaday Interloks which I am starting to develop loads using H4350. Has anyone used these bullets on African game? I expect the majority of my shots will be 100-150 yrds with the possibility of 300-400 yrds on springbok and worthogs. What about large game like Blue Wildebeest, Zebra and Eland?
I'm using the Lapua Mega 155gr bullets in my 6.5x55. Using 45g of RL22 and getting 2700 (2711 avg) FPS out of a 26" bbl.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg