6.5x.300 Weatherby

CoElkHunter

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA (Life), RMEF
Hunted
USA: Colorado, Wyoming, Arizona, Kansas, Nebraska, California. Ontario, Canada, RSA.
I was looking through my 1971 Sierra reloading manual this evening and found loading data for the 6.5 x .300 Weatherby. I thought this was one of the latest and greatest "new" 6.5s? Apparently not really new?

CAE0D39C-557D-425E-A96D-347EA8DAD602.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought this was one of the latest and greatest "new" 6.5s? Apparently not really new?
Well howzabout that! Me too,I am another that thought it was 'new' it makes the creed 6.5 look like an infant!

Well howzabout that! Me too,I am another that thought it was 'new' it makes the creed 6.5 look like an infant!
Yeah, until we find out that a hundred years ago somebody had already wildcatted the 6.5 Creed? Ha! Ha!

Wow...I thought that one was newer as well. Guess that’s one thing Weatherby has going for them...hard to out do their ballistics unless your willing to neck down a 50bmg lol. I was actually thinking the other day of getting a Weatherby for the collection...I’ve never owned one or saw a need to as I’m not trying to stretch shots out a mile away and the 300 win mag has always done everything I need it to but in the light of everything this year that’s happened I still seem to see Weatherby ammo on the shelf at the local sporting goods store. For much of the year it’s been the only ammo they’ve had in stock.

I want to say that Roy Weatherby played with the designed back in the 50s, but never pursued the development of the cartridge. I don't recall where I read it, but the 6.5x300 Weatherby has been used by long distance shooters, and it was called something different. I wish I could remember where I read it.

I am pretty sure that the .300 Weatherby case has been necked up and down to just about any caliber that there is out there at one time or another, just due to the case capacity of that blown out .300 H&H case that he started with.

It is just finding out which ones that became standardized as a commercial or a proper performing wildcat round.

Wow...I thought that one was newer as well. Guess that’s one thing Weatherby has going for them...hard to out do their ballistics unless your willing to neck down a 50bmg lol. I was actually thinking the other day of getting a Weatherby for the collection...I’ve never owned one or saw a need to as I’m not trying to stretch shots out a mile away and the 300 win mag has always done everything I need it to but in the light of everything this year that’s happened I still seem to see Weatherby ammo on the shelf at the local sporting goods store. For much of the year it’s been the only ammo they’ve had in stock.
I don’t own a Weatherby and no real reason why I don’t, but I too have noticed Weatherby ammo in stock at a couple of my local stores when all other ammo is gone. I believe it’s actually Nosler brass, so what’s up with that?

Weatherby owners are not hoarders like all the rest.

Plus can you imagine purchasing a case of the Weatherby ammo that normally goes for $120 for a box of 20???

Weatherby owners are not hoarders like all the rest.

Plus can you imagine purchasing a case of the Weatherby ammo that normally goes for $120 for a box of 20???
That’s probably why I’ve never owned one. Sticker shock! Ha!

You can find cheaper ones if you purchase the ammo loaded by Hornady, but the premium ones that pack the Nosler or Barnes bullets cost.

That is where I reload for mine. Where a Weatherby factory round packing the 225 grain Barnes TTSX in .340 Weatherby is north of $120 if you can find it, you can reload the same round for around a buck.

The Weatherby brass is made by Norma, and most of the ammos is loaded by them as well. The 6.5x300 I believe is the first Weatherby cartridge loaded at the Sheridan plant. Weatherby has what I call their cheap line, and uses regular spire point bullets, and those can be found for around $35 per box. Not sure if you can still find them at that price or not. That is what I did at first, and bought ammo like that because it was cheaper than buying just the brass. :)

You can at times find their brass at a normal price. It is also nice that there are a number of Weatherby rounds being loaded by the other ammo manufactures now.

So for the 6.5x300 all you need to do is to purchase some other make of brass in 300 Weatherby and neck it down to 6.5 and you are set. You may however need to neck ream that brass.

I tried some Remington brass in .300 Weatherby for my .340 and necking it up but I started to get split necks in the process so I stuck with properly factory formed .340 Weatherby brass.

i have 300 h&h brass easily made into 7mm stw, and 338.8mm rem mag made from same.
it foreforms and necks up and down well.
it is winchester i think.
it would also neck and fireform to 6.5 weatherby wright hoyer.
a bit if judicious annealing will improve case life.
bruce.

I love that round
Especially when you can neck down a 7mm Rem Mag or .300 WM to create the .264 case, since you probably can’t find the brass anywhere for a reasonable price?

Especially when you can neck down a 7mm Rem Mag or .300 WM to create the .264 case, since you probably can’t find the brass anywhere for a reasonable price?
Never thought of that...I haven’t reloaded for that one yet but I have researched the ballistics quite a bit and the wife wants one now so that will likely be our next rifle purchase. If so I’m sure I will be reloading for it as well.

Never thought of that...I haven’t reloaded for that one yet but I have researched the ballistics quite a bit and the wife wants one now so that will likely be our next rifle purchase. If so I’m sure I will be reloading for it as well.
Next two are 264 Win Mag for the lady and 35 Whelen for myself

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OmaMcGill

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg