dchamp

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, Australia, Namibia, Canada, Argentina
The Weatherby brass is made by Norma, and most of the ammos is loaded by them as well. The 6.5x300 I believe is the first Weatherby cartridge loaded at the Sheridan plant. Weatherby has what I call their cheap line, and uses regular spire point bullets, and those can be found for around $35 per box. Not sure if you can still find them at that price or not. That is what I did at first, and bought ammo like that because it was cheaper than buying just the brass. :)
I ordered this Mk V Laser Mark from Weatherby's custom shop when the 6.5-300Wby first came out. Along with the rifle I ordered a case of Weatherby ammunition 127 LRX. Both came out of Paso Robles, CA. I ordered it with high polish bluing along with a few other things. I found a Leupold VX-lll 4.5-14x40 in high gloss tp go with it.

Its muzzle velocity ranges from 3450-3520fps. I use a 300yd zero and am about 6-7inches low at 400yds. I am very happy with this Weatherby.
6.5-300Wby.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
Next two are 264 Win Mag for the lady and 35 Whelen for myself
@Whacker
Make sure you load the Whelen properly using Speer and Nosler reloading sites. One powder you can't go wrong with in the Whelen is Hogdon CFE223. It really makes the Whelen get up and go.
Bob

Whacker

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
21 Brotherhood PSMC
Hunted
United States
@Whacker
Make sure you load the Whelen properly using Speer and Nosler reloading sites. One powder you can't go wrong with in the Whelen is Hogdon CFE223. It really makes the Whelen get up and go.
Bob
Thanks!! I’ll keep an eye out...I see that one from time to time at one of our local stores.

leslie hetrick

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
several sporting clubs
Hunted
several
it started life as a 6.5x300 weatherby wright hoyer, i shot a few of the rifles alex hoyer made acrossed the juniata river in the lewistown narrows in the late 60,s. it was a good rifle then and better now with new bullets and powder.

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
Thanks!! I’ll keep an eye out...I see that one from time to time at one of our local stores.
@Whacker
If'n you use the Speer reloading site for the Whelen you will see you can get up to2,700fps with cfe223 with a 250grain Speer hotcore. Sort of makes the 338 win mag not needed or the Sierra game king 225 grain @2,900fps.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LynnDobbin

Latest profile posts

degoins wrote on Treemantwo's profile.
I have a like new VC .450 I might part with. I had it built in 2013 and it has served me well. Also have a VC fitted leather trunk case for it along with the plastic case it came with. I'll take 14000 for all of it.
Matt W wrote on Jody's profile.
Hi Jody,
I have been looking for ideas on the best way to display my European mounts from Africa. I came across some of your shield work and was wondering if you would be willing to make one for me? If so, please let me know the cost. I like the shield with the two spears that you built for a member years ago. Thanks.
cal pappas wrote on Mnelson2's profile.
Nelson. Is this message a PM format. I want to send you my email, but don't know if this is the cirrect way to do it. I'm at <pappas@mtaonline.net> Send me an email with your phone and I will call you about a skull I have. I went to school in Boston and am from Bernardston in the west part of the state. Moved to Alaska in 1984 adn never looked back.
BeeMaa wrote on Justbryan's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. He was a pleasure to do business with.
BeeMaa wrote on 375Fox's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. Was a pleasure to do business with.