6.5 x 55 Swede for African plains game

Discussion in 'Up To .375' started by Quaticman, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Red Devil

Red Devil AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Have to agree on the NP being a good performer.

The 150 gr. .270 WCF, even factory loaded, has been absolutely outstanding on game up to and including large boar and elk.

As for the 6.5x55, have settled on the 140 gr. Speer GS, as the rifle is aperture sighted, and large whitetail and piney woods hogs will most likely be the upper limit.

Red

2. bruce moulds

bruce moulds AH Fanatic

believe me one day a n.p. will let you down.
    don't ask me how I know this.
    these bullets are on a completely different page than swift.

3. Graham Hunter

Graham Hunter AH Fanatic

Hunted:
    Alaska Canada US New Zealand Scotland South Africa Zimbabwe
    I am sure that any bullet will let you down at some point. The Swift is a direct copy of the Partition except it is bonded and the jacket specs are different than the NP. The funny thing is everyone wants to refer the Partition like the one from 40 plus years ago. Nosler Partitions now are a different bullet. The height of the partition varies from both bullet weight and caliber. Also the jackets dimensions differ. Today's Partition are not the bullets of 40 years ago. I would be happy if they went to bonding. Bullet placement is still the most important point. Lots of animals have been killed by less than premium bullets that was placed in the proper spot and lots have been lost by a premium bullet that was not properly placed. What it all comes down to Bruce is percentage wise very few animals are lost because of bullet failure vs poor bullet placement. That being said I would not recommend a 17 HMR for Buffalo.

7x57Joe likes this.

4. Gerhard

Gerhard AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    South Africa
    The 6,5 Swede is a brilliant caliber for plains game.
    I have had hunters use 123gr Barnes TTSX in them and had brilliant penetration and performance.

5. Divernhunter

Divernhunter AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Life member NRA and NAHC Escalon Sportsmans club, Manteca sportsman club and Coalinga Rifle Club. Member of SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, RSA
    Having shot quite a number of animals with both A-Frames and Partitions in a number of cartridges I say they are both excellent bullets. That said I feel the A-Frames are better especially in faster cartridges. I used them in my 338win mag and 257W and my daughter used them in a 257Roberts in Africa. We both took Zebra cleanly using the 338win mag and the 257R using the A-Frames. We have also taken game in the USA with both bullets.

Remember dead is dead. You cannot kill an animal deader with one bullet or another. Something I ask people is "at what point in killing the animal did the bullet fail" when they say a bullet failed yet have the animal.
    Both A-Frames and Partition bullets are excellent but I feel the A-Frames are just a bit better.

6. Red Devil

Red Devil AH Member

Video/Photo:
    They are a different bullet... period.

Their "failure" - contributes to their quick killing ability.

Like the AF, too. Rugged and dependable.

But it is not my 1st choice for a lot of field shooting.

In fact, in a medium velocity/high SD round on medium game? The Speer GS does very well.

Red

sgt_zim likes this.