6.5 prc ammunition availability in South Africa?

Steroberts

Reaction score
Hunted
South Africa, uk
Is factory ammo fairly readily available in South Africa yet or is it not to be seen ? Just curious as I have one on order and wanted to know how easy it would be to find factory ammo if mine got lost on route at the airport ! Thanks in advance

I don’t think you will be able to find any here in SA. I’m not 100% certain but I’ve never seen any and just did a quick online search of the larger shops that have the most stock and they don’t even list it.

Is factory ammo fairly readily available in South Africa yet or is it not to be seen ? Just curious as I have one on order and wanted to know how easy it would be to find factory ammo if mine got lost on route at the airport ! Thanks in advance
I have a 6.5 PRC and after testing it on numerous whitetail and coyotes I am considering taking it to Africa. I will do more hunting with it before I decide for sure as it is a much smaller caliber than I normally take. I will not be hunting much of anything bigger than an Nyala so don’t jump on me about taking a smaller gun!
You can not worry about ammo availability in Africa. This is of the most discussed topics on AH yet the least likely to happen. It has never happened to me and I’ve been to Africa 15 times. Take whatever rifle and caliber you like and go hunt! If things go sideways you can always borrow an excellent gun for your safari.
Regards,
Philip

I have a 6.5 PRC and after testing it on numerous whitetail and coyotes I am considering taking it to Africa. I will do more hunting with it before I decide for sure as it is a much smaller caliber than I normally take. I will not be hunting much of anything bigger than an Nyala so don’t jump on me about taking a smaller gun!
You can not worry about ammo availability in Africa. This is of the most discussed topics on AH yet the least likely to happen. It has never happened to me and I’ve been to Africa 15 times. Take whatever rifle and caliber you like and go hunt! If things go sideways you can always borrow an excellent gun for your safari.
Regards,
Philip
I’ve took my 6x47 on a couple trips now and haven’t felt under gunned. Shot blue wildebeest, zebra and gemsbok with it no problem ! It was more of a worst case and they lost a box, always took odd balls and wildcats so would have been properly up the creek if it did happen.
it wouldn’t be the same having to borrow a rifle, it would still do the job but it still wouldn’t be the same.

We've beat this horse beyond recognition. The fallacy of buying ammo if yours doesn't show is will the replacement work in your rifle? Take the rifle with which you are most proficient and don't worry about the ammo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoraceBrei

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!