Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Texas,Namibia,Kansas, Missouri, Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho, South Africa, New Zealand
I bought my wife a little Savage Axis II. That rifle is one of the most accurate rifles I have ever bought. I just loaded up 123 gr. Hornady with some IMR 4831 and it is no trick to get groups under an inch.

Its one of the calibers I'm considering for my wife; that, .243, and 7mm-08. She's mighty short though, only the Ruger American compact fits her that we've found so far.

Its one of the calibers I'm considering for my wife; that, .243, and 7mm-08. She's mighty short though, only the Ruger American compact fits her that we've found so far.

The Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor is a reall shooter for only $350. Crazy you can be out the door for $6-700 and shoot MOA at 600 yards with factory 6.5 "Hipster" ammo. All the cool kids have one... I have three. All shooters MOA or sub MOA shooters. I've stretched the legs on one out to 1k yards.

The axis came with a weaver 3x9

Not to be a smart ass here but why not shorten stock to fit her..Very easy for anyone with a Skill or a miter saw ..Just an idea

The Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor is a reall shooter for only $350. Crazy you can be out the door for $6-700 and shoot MOA at 600 yards with factory 6.5 "Hipster" ammo. All the cool kids have one... I have three. All shooters MOA or sub MOA shooters. I've stretched the legs on one out to 1k yards.

Same with the Savage 12FV from Cabela's. For $319 (they have a $100 rebate right now) you get a superbly accurate rifle with a medium heavy barrel capable of going 1000yds out of the box with a good scope.

They just had them on sale for $319, plus the $100 rebate. I just couldn't justify buying one when I'd really like another Zeiss to go on my .243. And a crossbow. And a blackpowder rifle with a Zeiss on it. And I promised my wife a rifle.

The Ruger American Compact has an 18 inch barrel, so the report is going to be substantial. Unless you plan to add a suppressor, a 20 or 22 inch barrel will be a bit more pleasant to shoot. Just another variable to consider.

Lenny AH member @Shootist43 collects 6.5 and swears by them. I had a friend in my hunting club some years ago that used only the 6.5 so that he could hit a deer in the neck and not waste any meat.

Has anyone looked into "The Lady Savage?" Supposedly its' stock is sized and dimensioned for women.

Fantastic caliber! I love mine in a Ruger Hawkeye Predator. With the factory Hornady 120 grain match ammo it will shoot one hole groups if i do my part. And those rounds are great on long distance Kansas summer coyotes, although a big hole if you want a winter pelt;)

I was in a Cabelas last night and the selection of factory ammo for this caliber is now on par with other popular calibers. Except many were sold out....

Attachments

• Screenshot (237).png
    Screenshot (237).png
    792.8 KB · Views: 346
  • Screenshot (238).png
    Screenshot (238).png
    215.6 KB · Views: 239
  • Screenshot (239).png
    Screenshot (239).png
    398.5 KB · Views: 393
  • Screenshot (240).png
    Screenshot (240).png
    377.9 KB · Views: 259
Ultimately, I'll buy her what she likes. So far, the American compact is what she likes.

The Ruger American Compact has an 18 inch barrel, so the report is going to be substantial. Unless you plan to add a suppressor, a 20 or 22 inch barrel will be a bit more pleasant to shoot. Just another variable to consider.

The Hawkeye Predator now comes with those ugly stock spacers, so if your willing to spend the extra for a CRF, very solid laminated wood stock, two stage trigger, stainless full length barrel, etc... It might fit her will all spacers out. But I'm giessing it will be about $850. I woukd find a gunshop with staff helpfull enough to set it all up and let her try it.

Or just get what she wants and spend some money on a great scope;)

I do want say the 6.5 Creedmoor balistics blow away the other calibers often thought of for women and kids... double the energy at 500 yards of a 243....

I like the Savage as there is enough space in the clip and the action is long enough that you can adjust the seating depth of the bullet.One advantage over the 260 rem.

Great caliber! I have a few of them now and all shoot sub moa and are a pleasure to shoot. My favorite is my Ruger Precision....not worth a damn to carry, but stupid accurate out to 1200 yards.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Ruger rifles I've seen lately had a nylon/plastic clip on the magazine to hold it in the rifle. this didn't appear to me to be long term reliable. Otherwise, they were good rifles. I wonder if the advantages of the 6.5 Creedmoor compared to the 260 Remington are more a function of manufacturing preference than of design advantages.

It's been our hands down best selling cartridge & rifle all year with almost ZERO complaints!

It's been our hands down best selling cartridge & rifle all year with almost ZERO complaints!

I bet. They are hard to find specific rifles in 6.5 Creedmoor here, and if you find one, it might not stay on the shelf for long. I waited quite a while to find the RAP. And the RPR I ended up ordering from an outfit in TX. They listed it online, and I bought it 50 min later. What are the best selling guns chambered in 6.5 CM that you are seeing?

Interesting to see so many new cartridges and what they have to offer come to market. Many flop. Some hang out with little to show over existing popular cartridges and just leave a trail of overpriced ammo and a firearm with little value that may be hard to sell, if you can at all. Why is it the 6.5 CM took a foothold so fast? Outside of buying a few myself (lol), I'm not sure why it took off so fast. For me, it bridged the gap in my modest rifle armory between 5.56/.223, and the 7mm Rem Mag. I've consolidated over the years.

I bought my wife a little Savage Axis II. That rifle is one of the most accurate rifles I have ever bought. I just loaded up 123 gr. Hornady with some IMR 4831 and it is no trick to get groups under an inch.

I have a Savage Light Weight Hunter in 6.5, I’ve used only Hornaday Superformance with outstanding accuracy and performance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdrieneRun

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois