.550 magnum caliber?

Reaction score
Media
Member of
Life DSC, TSRA, Life NRA
Hunted
US, Argentina, Scotland, Austria, South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Australia, New Zealand
.550 magnum built on a CZ 550 magnum action. Cartridge is a .460 Weatherby necked up to .550.

Anyone have any experience with these on the big thick skinned beasts? Seen a couple used bouncing around online and I know that AHR builds them as well. Read that they pack quite a wallop and recoil is relatively mild given the pressures and fact they are usually built heavy.

I made the mistake of shooting big bores a number of years ago, found that I enjoyed it, and kept acquiring more. My .375 H&H and 450/400 NE have dropped a number of animals. My 500 Jeffery just paper so far, but plan to change that later this year in Zim.

Of course, I don't need anything bigger but these are the types of conversations that are supposed to occur here, right?

My only experience is handling this one round I was given by Wayne at AHR a few years ago. Here's a couple of pics for your enjoyment.

IMG_20210702_135559595_HDR[76026].jpg
IMG_20210702_135633161_HDR[76027].jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
One of my former students is friends with an African professional hunter by the name of Mr. Jason Van Aarde . Mr. Aarde’s backup rifle of choice is a .550 Magnum , which is built by Bloemfontein Custom Rifles on a BRNO ZKK-602 action . It launches a 700 grain bullet at a velocity of 2240 feet per second . The gentleman prefers custom brass bullets made by Johann Kriek for this rifle .

Mr. Aarde is quite a seasoned dangerous game hunter and can never speak too highly of his .550 Magnum . He owns H&J Safaris .

700 grains at 2200 fps will put a T-Rex on the ground. Sounds like quite a stopper.

7800 ft/lbs of ME. Actually a tad less than full power .460 loads. Bigger, heavier bullet though....

If you can handle it, go for it! Impressive ballistics.

Seems to be very similar ballistics to .577 NE, just a tad more powerful. No need to reinvent the wheel.

Not too many 577 NE in bolt actions though...

Not sure if jaco @KWALATA SAFARIS had one built

They had one on the cz booth in their custom rifle rack at sci few years ago that was built for someone...was nice ...they tried to get me to buy one but had bought a 500 jeff from them year before..also don't hand load..so managed to escape that one...

That CZ listing prompted me to look into the .550 Mag. It's got a motor on it, Lord.

FB page Dedicated: https://www.facebook.com/550Magnum/
I think someone posted the .550 was sold, and I hope someone here bought it. As mentioned on that thread, woukd not have been a bad price even if you looked at it as just a barreled action by a very talented ‘smith.

Why??? Belted, straighf wall case.....ammo???
Just buy a 500 Jeff or 505 Gibbs....

Some states (in the US) limit deer hunting to straight wall cases. :)
And most of those states limited deer hunters to shotgun slugs before the straight walled cased cartridges were approved over the last several years.

I’m not giving you a hard time, l just don’t think the 550 would be my first choice for deer. Just saying.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FreemanHar

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you