52 buffaloes die after stampede in Kafue National Park

Ridgedog

AH member
Reaction score
In what seems like a biannual event, 52 buffaloes have died in a stampede in the Kafue National Park in Itezhi Tezhi district in Central Province.

And most of the carcasses which were floating in the Musa River have since been scavenged by some local people.

The carcasses of buffaloes were discovered by Zambia Wildlife Authority (ZAWA) officers during their tour along the Musa River in the southern part of the Kafue National Park.

Itezhi Tezhi district commissioner George Sichula confirmed this adding that the stampede took place last Friday night.

“The 52 buffaloes were found dead in the Kafue National Park along Musa River. They are believed to have died in a stampede and ZAWA officers are investigating the cause of the stampede,” Mr. Sichula said.

This is the third time a huge number of buffaloes have died in similar manner at the same place.

In September 2009, 35 buffaloes died at the same river point and ZAWA attributed the stampede to lions that were chasing the buffaloes

In August 2012, another 81 buffaloes died in a similar manner at the same river point in the Kafue national park.

The wild animals usually move in herds of about one thousand and when they are disturbed, they run in the same direction causing a stampede.

Meanwhile, a police officer based at Itezhi Tezhi police station has died after the boat in which he was sailing capsized on Lake Itezhi Tezhi.

Mr Sichula has confirmed the incident adding that the accident occurred on Saturday.

Mr. Sichula who named the missing police officer as Maxwell Madubeko said the boat reportedly capsized following huge waves and that five people survived the accident and managed to swim to the shore.

“As of yesterday, a rescue team was still looking for the missing police officer who was a trained coxswain” Mr. Sichula said. – ZANIS

Source: https://www.zambianwatchdog.com/52-buffaloes-die-after-stampede-in-kafue-national-park/

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like the Lions learned from a visit to the Museum.

6814682150_70c95874d7_z.jpg

If only they knew how to smoke it and save some for the dry spells.

and there just happened to be some locals nearby... in a national park... with dead animals lying all over the place... o_O

Sooo, can we assume that if there were regular hunts in that area and the meat was donated to the locals, these mysterious stampedes might stop?

and there just happened to be some locals nearby... in a national park... with dead animals lying all over the place... o_O
yeah makes you wonder..........shit load of people in itezhi tezhi though.

Sooo, can we assume that if there were regular hunts in that area and the meat was donated to the locals, these mysterious stampedes might stop?
bob its in the middle of the southern part of the kafue nat park .http://www.mappery.com/Kafue-National-park-south-Map

I'm not totally convinced it was a stampede in the true sense.After seeing footage,including the one from Luke Gamble(Vet Adventures) it seems more like a case of them crossing at a bad spot or getting swept by the current and ending up at a point on the bank which they couldn't climb.Lions may have been responsible but if it where the lions would do it more often.I can't see villagers approaching a herd several hundred strong. I don't really know about the KNP.I've only passed through it enroute to Kaoma.

Last edited:
What a shame!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EllieBoatm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross