Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA
I had the opportunity to shoot a very accurate and beautiful 505 Gibbs. Far from being the uncontrollable monster I had assumed it would be, it was a lot of fun to shoot. For those who hunt with this caliber - how did it go and did you enjoy hunting with this rifle/cartridge?

Very very good caliber. Northfork 600Gr Flat Point Solids & Cup Point Solids are just the correct bullets for it (loaded to 2150 fps). In my opinion, the most beautiful bolt action rifle in the world … is a .505 Gibbs built by Joe Smithson on a Granite Mountain Arms African Magnum Mauser action with an extended floor plate to hold 3 rounds in the magazine (and 1 in the chamber).

I had the opportunity to shoot a very accurate and beautiful 505 Gibbs. Far from being the uncontrollable monster I had assumed it would be, it was a lot of fun to shoot. For those who hunt with this caliber - how did it go and did you enjoy hunting with this rifle/cartridge?
Looks like you’re starting to plan another custom build!

Well i have it CZ 550. JUST acquired a Montana rifle company action to custom build one. MRC takes 3+1 and CZ takes 2+1 (factory). I may let one of the CZ's go some time in the future.
1659305921217305286281366961159.jpg
16593059835525230335083064426540.jpg

Took a Buffalo with my CZ in 505 last September in Zimbabwe, a fun gun to shoot from sticks but punishing from the bench. The price of ammo can also be punishing.

I actually wanted a 505 Gibbs, but was concerned about the bolt face size on the CZ 550. 500 Jeffery was a good choice for me :) 505 Gibbs is a spectacular round.
I have not heard any body that the bolt face failed in cz 550 505 gibbs. I thought the same way you do. Even though MRC bolt is larger still the bolt face is almost the same. Only thing is MRC takes one more round in the magazine. May be Granite mountain action is bigger.
Krish

I just whacked 2 buffalo in Zimbabwe with a 500 Jeffery, in kinship with the 505, all I have to say is,....it's a different chain of events that happen when you drop those .50 cal bullets in the right place. You can tell it really hurts LMAO. Pain in the butt to carry all day every day mile after mile, but when its time to go up on the sticks,....all worth it.

Mmm....don't have one but as totally love my 500 Jeff.....keep getting reoccurring urges to have one....obviously covered in needs...but those wants....oh shit .... :E Shrug: :E Big Grin:

I just whacked 2 buffalo in Zimbabwe with a 500 Jeffery, in kinship with the 505, all I have to say is,....it's a different chain of events that happen when you drop those .50 cal bullets in the right place. You can tell it really hurts LMAO. Pain in the butt to carry all day every day mile after mile, but when its time to go up on the sticks,....all worth it.

Nah my 500 Jeff only weighs bout 9.5lbs ...not a problem to shoot....max I do is 10lbs or so in rifles...:D Beers:

500J is very nice too. I like my AHR #3 . Very fine gun. Like it better than my SAKO BROWN BEAR.
Krish
The width of a Sako butt stock is not nearly what it should be to soak up the recoil of a .50 caliber. I've said it several times...stock fit becomes more critical as the caliber goes up. Sako believes the butt stock shape used on a 6.5CM will be just fine for .375 and above. It's not.

An AHR #3 is a different story altogether.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SylviaSelf

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!