505 Gibbs cz 550

49cub

AH member
Reaction score
just found a cz 550 in 505 that should be here by end of the week. It has the jeweled bolt and a muzzle break. Never had a 505 but excited to try it. Found some double tap 505 Gibbs ammo at close out and bought last 4 boxes of it.

I've been searching a lot and have found a little reloading data but would like to know if there are any manuals that have pressure data for 505 Gibbs.

Thinking hard about scoping it and have contemplated using a vortex on it. I've had tremendously good luck with their binos. I know leupold would also work, just thinking about something different.

Will post more when I get it and can try it out.

Thanks

Sooner or later @matt85 will be along to help you out a bit. He recently took possession of one of these made over by AHR.

And @ActionBob has CZ in .505. He has had some work done to it and can be another good resource.

Yes I have one and really love it. Although I just would not want a b.rake on it... Got what seems to be a permanent ringing in my left ear from one a Ruger Guide gun in 375 Ruger. Dreadful things that can also belch terrible powder and soot blast back at you.

It should have a mercury tube recoil reducer in the stock already. I think that plus the fact that the stock fits me particularly well, and it has a very good pad on it... It really shoots very well and is quite controllable.

I have a Trijicon 1-4x24 with the triangle post illuminated reticle. I already had that scope so it was an easy choice but more eye relief would be good... It's never gotten me but I think it has drops of blood on it from of other guys;)

I had sent it back to Triple River Gun Smithing, the CZ USA Custom Shop. The issue was and to some degree still is, the feeding from the mag. It will hold 3 down, barely able to close the bolt on them with an empty chamber. And then if you pull the bolt back real fast, it pops 2 right out the top on the back stroke of the bolt! If using Nickle plated cartridges, this is pretty much guaranteed, even if you pull the bolt back slowly. It is much better after the work, but far from perfect and the fat 505 Gibbs cartridge just has too big a diameter to stay put under the feed rails. Now it works well enough with brass cartridges and even the nickle plated ones if I scratch them up with course sandpaper first.

Triple River told me their later guns do feed better.?

Well that is good to hear that you like yours. It was a good deal so I jumped on it.

I don't like brakes either but figured I'd shoot it like that a little and then have it shortened. Stock is going to be a little short for me so I hope that doesn't punish too bad. I'm hoping the full loads will be comparable to my 500 Nitro. On paper they appear to be a little more.

Not super sure how new it is. It looks new from pics but don't know. Should know more by Friday.

Any additional load data that you have Id love to see. I have found a little online. Would like to avoid filler if possible, but I don't know if that will work or not. Emailed accurate powder to get 5744 load data.

Thanks

someone say "505 Gibbs"! :A Banana:

first, lose the muzzle break! those horrible contraptions are only good for damaging ear drums and making people hate you (n). i promise the 505 Gibbs makes enough noise without assistance. the recoil of the 505 Gibbs is very manageable assuming the stock fits you and the gun is of proper weight (i prefer 11 pounds but could do 10.5).

i do have some load data and would be more then happy to assist you in developing loads. a fair warning, the 505 Gibbs can be tricky to load for because it typically uses a fairly light bullet for caliber and has a HUGE case capacity. my best accuracy has been found using 600gr monolithic bullets at above average speeds. these loads make use of the massive case capacity and ive found heavier bullets tend to shoot more accurately from the standard twist.

PM me with your email address and ill give you what info i have.

-matt

Stock is going to be a little short for me so I hope that doesn't punish too bad. I'm hoping the full loads will be comparable to my 500 Nitro.

Any additional load data that you have Id love to see. I have found a little online. Would like to avoid filler if possible, but I don't know if that will work or not. Emailed accurate powder to get 5744 load data.

i was typing when you posted this. if the LOP is a bit short then id recommend adding spacers to make it right. an improper LOP is the cause of many felt recoil issues.

if you wish to keep the 505 Gibbs at standard 500 NE levels then you will probably have to use fillers. the case is huge and the original "low power" loads will not make proper use of the capacity.

-matt

Any additional load data that you have Id love to see.
I don't handload so look to @matt85 for that.

I have been focused on using 525 grain TSX as well as monolithic solids that I bought on sale.. and now have a friend loading some of the same for me. That TSX was devastating on a buffalo last April. Check out my report and/or other 505 posts.

I have shot off a few 600 grain loads at 2100fps but only at paper... They actually hit high, explained as they are slower to exit the barrel thus there is more barrel rise, throwing them high. What I like about the 525 grain loads is they don't drop below MOB even at 200 yards... If needed, I would take a 200 yard shot at PG or as a follow up on DG with them.

I'm sure you will have tons of info to sort through from Matt;)

Well the gun came in Wednesday and I was able to pick it up yesterday. It looks good. It looks very lightly shot, if at all, but looks handled a bit. Not bad.

Now the bad, ammo and dummy rounds came in today and I tried cycling. First from mag no problem, second, problem. The bolt jumps the rim almost every time. Maybe one out of 15 times it would catch the rim, but only if I messed with the round. So I called triple river and they were closed for the day. Can't leave message so I emailed them. Not sure if gun is out of warranty or not. We shall see.

If I don't get a good vibe from triple river I may just see if ahr can do their tune on it and pay. I got the rifle right but I still hate having to pay to fix a rifle that never functioned right.

Good news is I loaded up some 500 nitro reduced loads using 5744 to play with this weekend. And I've got a 505 Gibbs 2 shot rifle to shoot as well!

its normal for CZ's in 505 Gibbs to come with feed issues. the CZ custom shop (triple river) isnt exactly known for great work.

id recommend sending the rifle to AHR for their basic upgrade. they will help you get the rifle feeding better.

-matt

its normal for CZ's in 505 Gibbs to come with feed issues. the CZ custom shop (triple river) isnt exactly known for great work.

id recommend sending the rifle to AHR for their basic upgrade. they will help you get the rifle feeding better.

-matt

+ 1

Not sure if gun is out of warranty or not. We shall see.
I doubt they will even ask. They know the older guns have problems and claim to know how to fix it... I doubt you would every see a bill. Now this does not mean I think they will fix it great! Expect a mediocre repair job that gets it to mostly work......

If you going to hunt DG with this rifle, it would be good idea to get it fixed PROPERLY... you don't want feed hassles and mag jams when being charged by some hot under the collar buff/ elephant!!

Got an email back from triple river. They said it was made in April of 06 and was one of the very first out the door. He said send it in and they will fix everything. I think I'm going to let them have a chance to fix it first. They may not get it perfect but at least it will be closer. He said he thought about a month.

I took it out and fired it today with the dt ammo I ordered. Fired off about a box. It is definitely a beast. The sights are tiny though! Could barely pick up the front bead. I definitely need to get a longer lop. Thinking about having them add a 1/2" shim and a 1.5" pad to get me another inch.

Keep us in the loop on the repair

Well the CZ went back to triple river today. Had it for about a week. They said that it would be a month or so. I'm hoping to get it back early January. It will give me a little time to get some reloading stuff ordered. Trying to see if they can shorten barrel and install another crossbolt while its there.

My rifle has only been gone a week and already I wanna call and check on it! Haha. I don't know how you guys order bespoke guns that take months or years to get.

Since I was in withdrawals about it I went ahead and ordered dies and a press and a reducing bushing for the press. Might as well be ready when it gets back. My old rock chucker jr won't handle the 1"-14 so I upgraded. The jr still serves me well and it's 20 years old.

i use a Lee cast press to load for my 505 Gibbs and 585 HE, works well enough and was inexpensive. i just wish it had the quick change feature that the Lee challenger has.

waiting is tough, let hope they get it right the first time (they dont always).

-matt

Well the call came today that they were finished with the rifle and will be shipping it back soon.

Cz warrantied all the feeding work and installing a second crossbolt, I asked them for the second crossbolt, and return shipping. I am paying for the barrel shortening and rebluing. Which is great since there was a small scratch on the right side that should be gone since it got reblued. So the gun should come back looking like new. They fired it yesterday for sight height and feeding and said it functioned perfectly.

In the meantime all my reloading equipment has come in for it so I'm pretty stoked to get it back. I've still got time to take it out after hogs!

keep us updated.

-matt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odoodevelopers

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross