.505 Gibbs African Style Magazine Rifle

vette it wasnt built for me , but like you i saw it on their for sale section and .......the rest is history. luckily it fits like it was made for me so that was good. only had a 5 min look at it when it arrived in the gun shop in lusaka who imported it for me , so will pick it up all being well next week. :D Beers:

@vette447 just went on AHR to see if it the photos were still there and that was a big miss on your side :E Shocked: the wood :A Thumbs Up: and everything else...you kicking yourself by any chance???? just to remind you......:E Big Grin:......at that price i would have been maybe tempted...so thank god its sold :)

505-Gibbs-consignment-017-300x55.jpg

505-Gibbs-consignment-008-300x86.jpg

Attachments

• 505-Gibbs-consignment-008-300x86.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 161
  • 505-Gibbs-consignment-017-300x55.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 153
I beg to differ....you need all the velocity you can get from that barrel in .458Win.
And a 25" barrel is not cumbersome in any way during practical hunting..

But otherwise I agree in smoothing the action, perhaps a restock etc.

Of the CZs I prefer the 602....because of the simpler trigger mechanism..
I think the same as Pondoro.
Witold

@vette447 why not just get AHR to build a .505 to your spec as you liked the one they had for sale. sell the .500 jeff to help cover costs. then you are getting a rifle how you want it, at what i think is good value . my AHR .404 looks great and feels great as well, and hopefully the dealer will have some .404 ammo in when i am back in zambia next week so i can finally shoot it .
Mike, you will be glad of 404Jeffery.
Witold

@vette447 just went on AHR to see if it the photos were still there and that was a big miss on your side :E Shocked: the wood :A Thumbs Up: and everything else...you kicking yourself by any chance???? just to remind you......:E Big Grin:......at that price i would have been maybe tempted...so thank god its sold :)

Oh yeah. It was a beauty and someone got a good deal. I had been watching it for awhile but did not have the funds available. Then when I did have my $$ ready, it was marked SOLD! Such is life...:)

Oh yeah. It was a beauty and someone got a good deal. I had been watching it for awhile but did not have the funds available. Then when I did have my $$ ready, it was marked SOLD! Such is life...:)
Nusty business vette 447.
Witold

yup very philosophical of you :D Beers:. what about sending your 500 jeff to them and getting them to turn it into similar looking rifle? cheaper as you already have it.......and they both big boy cals.......unless you are @matt85 of course when the are medium bores.......:E Big Grin:

yup very philosophical of you :D Beers:. what about sending your 500 jeff to them and getting them to turn it into similar looking rifle? cheaper as you already have it.......and they both big boy cals.......unless you are @matt85 of course when the are medium bores.......:E Big Grin:

If my 500 Jeff was a 505 Gibbs (or if I could trade my 500 Jeff for the 505 Gibbs), this is probably what I would do. Would cost about $3500 probably including shipping so, you are correct that it would be cheaper.

@vette447 why not just get AHR to build a .505 to your spec as you liked the one they had for sale. sell the .500 jeff to help cover costs. then you are getting a rifle how you want it, at what i think is good value . my AHR .404 looks great and feels great as well, and hopefully the dealer will have some .404 ammo in when i am back in zambia next week so i can finally shoot it .
My thoughts exactly! A Gibbs won't be cheap, if it works correctly; and one that doesn't work right ain't worth a plugged nickel. If I ever wanted a Gibbs, I'd go with a CZ action; and if I ever went with a CZ action, Wayne at AHR would work his magic on it for me before I ever even touched it. He just worked over my Ruger RSM .458 Lott and I can tell you he's an old-school craftsman and a first-class gentleman. Good luck whichever way you go!

sorry im so late into this thread, ive been working too much lately.

as mentioned AHR will build a decent 505 Gibbs rifle. their rifles are well balanced, reliable, and easy on the eyes.

do keep in mind there is a weakness to the 505 Gibbs cartridge. the incredibly wide cases make it difficult for even the CZ magnum action to hold in the magazine. AHR has been the closest to getting this issue under control but i admit even they dont have it perfectly. if i cycle the action too roughly with three down, i run the risk of the top cartridge popping out of the magazine.

if you have any questions about loading for this cartridge feel free to shoot me a PM.

here is my AHR 505 Gibbs in its natural environment:

-matt

Attachments

• cartridge1_zpsghapadfi.jpg
    cartridge1_zpsghapadfi.jpg
    430.3 KB · Views: 208
@Bruce I am in SA , you are welcome to view mine , you will be most surprised
Where are you based in SA?

beautiful rifle... BUT that UGLY magazine thing below the stock is a real eyesore and will surely get in the way when in thick bush!!!! :ROFLMAO::LOL::D:cry:

beautiful rifle... BUT that UGLY magazine thing below the stock is a real eyesore and will surely get in the way when in thick bush!!!! :ROFLMAO::LOL::D:cry:

now come on bruce that is the tactical foregrip you must have seen them on other close quarter weapons......;)
UTG_Foregrip_for_sale__06244.1387490147.1280.1280.jpg

Attachments

• UTG_Foregrip_for_sale__06244.1387490147.1280.1280.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 161
now come on bruce that is the tactical foregrip you must have seen them on other close quarter weapons......;)
Yebbo... most certainly have seen and used these "versions " in unusual circumstances in the Zim bush years ago!! Maybe I'll get a nice piece of Mopani prattley puttied onto the fore end of my 458 and tape it down with good old insulation tape for my elephant hunt next month??? (n)(y):sneaky:o_O

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg