vette447

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI, DSC
Hunted
USA (AK,CO,NM,WY,TX,KS,OK), Namibia, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Argentina, France
I have decided that I really want a 505 Gibbs. I am looking for something nice and well built in the African Express style (nice wood, drop box mag/floor plate , express sights, controlled feed, etc). I would need something with a 14"+ LOP. AHR had a really nice one up for sale just a short time ago that I was drooling over. However, it sold just before I had my money together. Does anyone have a nice one that they are looking to sell? If so, please PM me with details and asking price.

Also, I have a very nice NIB CZ Safari Classics rifle in .500 Jeffery that I would be willing to trade toward/for a Gibbs (or sell outright). thanks!

505-Gibbs-consignment-017-300x55 b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What do you think about the CZ in the 505 Gibbs? I have one in 375 H&H and love it. Is the 500 Jeffries not as good of a rifle as the mid bore calibers?(rifle not caliber). I have no experience with the CZ's outside the earlier mentioned caliber. I have read that a little smith work is needed to get them just right in the big calibers but after that they're great from my understanding. @ActionBob has one and seems to be pretty pleased with it.
I'm a bit of a light weight in big bores. My 416 Ruger is about as big as I think I can comfortably shoot.

I also think Matt is probably your go to guy on this but.... Don't be surprised if he talks you into some 88mm artillery piece:LOL:

What do you think about the CZ in the 505 Gibbs? I have one in 375 H&H and love it. Is the 500 Jeffries not as good of a rifle as the mid bore calibers?(rifle not caliber). I have no experience with the CZ's outside the earlier mentioned caliber. I have read that a little smith work is needed to get them just right in the big calibers but after that they're great from my understanding. @ActionBob has one and seems to be pretty pleased with it.
I'm a bit of a light weight in big bores. My 416 Ruger is about as big as I think I can comfortably shoot.
Agree with you on the .416s. Never fired a .416 Ruger, but have two .416 Rigbys and that's as big as I am going unless I break down and buy a double. My .458 Win Mag will likely be for sell in the next year, since I will probably never fire it again.

Agree with you on the .416s. Never fired a .416 Ruger, but have two .416 Rigbys and that's as big as I am going unless I break down and buy a double. My .458 Win Mag will likely be for sell in the next year, since I will probably never fire it again.
Well while a thimble sized encyclopedia can be filled with the knowledge I have about large bores I have to say if I could afford a double I'd love one in 450/400 or 450 nitro but from my understanding both are pretty mild in the recoil category. I think the 450/400 would be my ideal caliber for a double. It's a mute point anyway because I can't afford one and if I could I'd rather spend that money on a safari anyway.

I'm in the same boat as Gizmo regarding Big Bore rifle knowledge, but I'm just curious to understand the comments on this site regarding these bigger bore factory rifles ( CZ etc) requiring some work on them to get them up to scratch. My CZ 458 WM came out the box, had a scope fitted and started hunting... shoots on a tickey!! NEVER YET needed any work done to it? Do you guys refer to modifying the sights? Trigger pull?

I'm in the same boat as Gizmo regarding Big Bore rifle knowledge, but I'm just curious to understand the comments on this site regarding these bigger bore factory rifles ( CZ etc) requiring some work on them to get them up to scratch. My CZ 458 WM came out the box, had a scope fitted and started hunting... shoots on a tickey!! NEVER YET needed any work done to it? Do you guys refer to modifying the sights? Trigger pull?
Well like I said my knowledge is very limited here but I think it has to do with feeding the big cartridges in the 50 cals but I'm not sure. My 375 loads and shoots like a dream. I'm actually seriously thinking of getting a CZ in 30 06 with the mannlicher stock. It's a great looking rifle.

@Bruce , IMHO they need to be worked on , all my CZ's get worked on before I even fire them .
  • shorten the barrel
  • trigger
  • smooth the action
  • change the front sight and widen the v's on the rear sight
you will be amazed at how better the end result is !

Well while a thimble sized encyclopedia can be filled with the knowledge I have about large bores I have to say if I could afford a double I'd love one in 450/400 or 450 nitro but from my understanding both are pretty mild in the recoil category. I think the 450/400 would be my ideal caliber for a double. It's a mute point anyway because I can't afford one and if I could I'd rather spend that money on a safari anyway.
The 450-400 will be my preference on a double also, with a 9.3x74R being my second. The 9.3 Merkles and Chapuis can start around $5500 used and the 450-400s of the same brand will start around 8000-9000 from what I have seen. The S-2s start around $7500 new. I'm like you in having limited knowledge, but am gaining more each day due to the AH site and some of the people on it.

@Bruce , IMHO they need to be worked on , all my CZ's get worked on before I even fire them .
  • shorten the barrel
  • trigger
  • smooth the action
Thanks for that input and info... food for thought!!
My first 375 is still the original BRNO 602 H&H'' I have hunted most of my African trophies etc with this rifle. A couple of years ago I replaced the stock and blued the barrel and action.. that's it... it still shoots like crazy accurately and I would be loathe to shorten the barrel at this stage!! Same for the other 375 and 458 which are newer and CZ ... will definitely do some research on this here on RSA as I am now intrigued!!

• shorten the barrel
  • trigger
  • smooth the action
I agree with Bassasdaindia.
Witold

Thanks for that input and info... food for thought!!
My first 375 is still the original BRNO 602 H&H'' I have hunted most of my African trophies etc with this rifle. A couple of years ago I replaced the stock and blued the barrel and action.. that's it... it still shoots like crazy accurately and I would be loathe to shorten the barrel at this stage!! Same for the other 375 and 458 which are newer and CZ ... will definitely do some research on this here on RSA as I am now intrigued!!

@Bruce I am in SA , you are welcome to view mine , you will be most surprised

Thanks for the responses so far guys. I agree that @matt85 is the resident 505 Gibbs expert. I have read most if not all of his posts on the subject and he has been very helpful.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the CZ 550 Safari Classics I have in 500 Jeffery. The 500 Jeffery and 505 Gibbs are almost ballistic equivalents from all of my research. However, I just have decided that I would rather have the 505 Gibbs. I would be happy to trade my 500 Jeffery for an equivalent rifle in 505 Gibbs (CZ 550 in new to near new condition with Safari Classics upgrades). If not, I am looking to try to purchase a nice 505 rifle as posted above (and possibly sell my 500 Jeff). I plan to look for one in Dallas this weekend at DSC but thought that I would also try to just post a WTB add here to see if any of the members may have one that is nice that they are looking to part with.

that 25" factory barrel is too long

I beg to differ....you need all the velocity you can get from that barrel in .458Win.
And a 25" barrel is not cumbersome in any way during practical hunting..

But otherwise I agree in smoothing the action, perhaps a restock etc.

Of the CZs I prefer the 602....because of the simpler trigger mechanism..

Gizmo I saw a Ruger 1 in 450/400 at Cabelas the other day. It sure felt good on my shoulder. I suspect it would kick less than my 458 Lott!

@vette447 why not just get AHR to build a .505 to your spec as you liked the one they had for sale. sell the .500 jeff to help cover costs. then you are getting a rifle how you want it, at what i think is good value . my AHR .404 looks great and feels great as well, and hopefully the dealer will have some .404 ammo in when i am back in zambia next week so i can finally shoot it .

@vette447 why not just get AHR to build a .505 to your spec as you liked the one they had for sale. sell the .500 jeff to help cover costs. then you are getting a rifle how you want it, at what i think is good value . my AHR .404 looks great and feels great as well, and hopefully the dealer will have some .404 ammo in when i am back in zambia next week so i can finally shoot it .

I think this is always a valid option and I have considered it. I just thought that it was worth a try to see what is available out there before I decided on that route. That is exciting that you had them build a 404 for you. I know we will all look forward to hearing how she shoots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg