Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
sci int, basc,wpaz
Hunted
zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe,Mozambique ,hungary, france, england
vette it wasnt built for me , but like you i saw it on their for sale section and .......the rest is history. luckily it fits like it was made for me so that was good. only had a 5 min look at it when it arrived in the gun shop in lusaka who imported it for me , so will pick it up all being well next week. :D Beers:

spike.t

Sponsor
Since 2013
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.takerireservezambia.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
sci int, basc,wpaz
Hunted
@vette447 just went on AHR to see if it the photos were still there and that was a big miss on your side :E Shocked: the wood :A Thumbs Up: and everything else...you kicking yourself by any chance???? just to remind you......:E Big Grin:......at that price i would have been maybe tempted...so thank god its sold :)

505-Gibbs-consignment-017-300x55.jpg

505-Gibbs-consignment-008-300x86.jpg

Attachments

• 505-Gibbs-consignment-008-300x86.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 93
  • 505-Gibbs-consignment-017-300x55.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 84

Witold Krzyżanowski

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Europe
Member of
1977; Polish Hunting Assotiation
Hunted
Namibia, Zimbabwe
I beg to differ....you need all the velocity you can get from that barrel in .458Win.
And a 25" barrel is not cumbersome in any way during practical hunting..

But otherwise I agree in smoothing the action, perhaps a restock etc.

Of the CZs I prefer the 602....because of the simpler trigger mechanism..
I think the same as Pondoro.
Witold

Witold Krzyżanowski

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Europe
Member of
Hunted
Namibia, Zimbabwe
@vette447 why not just get AHR to build a .505 to your spec as you liked the one they had for sale. sell the .500 jeff to help cover costs. then you are getting a rifle how you want it, at what i think is good value . my AHR .404 looks great and feels great as well, and hopefully the dealer will have some .404 ammo in when i am back in zambia next week so i can finally shoot it .
Mike, you will be glad of 404Jeffery.
Witold

vette447

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI, DSC
Hunted
USA (AK,CO,NM,WY,TX,KS,OK), Namibia, South Africa, Argentina, France
@vette447 just went on AHR to see if it the photos were still there and that was a big miss on your side :E Shocked: the wood :A Thumbs Up: and everything else...you kicking yourself by any chance???? just to remind you......:E Big Grin:......at that price i would have been maybe tempted...so thank god its sold :)

Oh yeah. It was a beauty and someone got a good deal. I had been watching it for awhile but did not have the funds available. Then when I did have my $$ ready, it was marked SOLD! Such is life...:)

Witold Krzyżanowski

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Europe
Member of
Hunted
Namibia, Zimbabwe
Oh yeah. It was a beauty and someone got a good deal. I had been watching it for awhile but did not have the funds available. Then when I did have my $$ ready, it was marked SOLD! Such is life...:)
Nusty business vette 447.
Witold

spike.t

Sponsor
Since 2013
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
sci int, basc,wpaz
Hunted

yup very philosophical of you :D Beers:. what about sending your 500 jeff to them and getting them to turn it into similar looking rifle? cheaper as you already have it.......and they both big boy cals.......unless you are @matt85 of course when the are medium bores.......:E Big Grin:

vette447

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI, DSC
Hunted
USA (AK,CO,NM,WY,TX,KS,OK), Namibia, South Africa, Argentina, France
yup very philosophical of you :D Beers:. what about sending your 500 jeff to them and getting them to turn it into similar looking rifle? cheaper as you already have it.......and they both big boy cals.......unless you are @matt85 of course when the are medium bores.......:E Big Grin:

If my 500 Jeff was a 505 Gibbs (or if I could trade my 500 Jeff for the 505 Gibbs), this is probably what I would do. Would cost about $3500 probably including shipping so, you are correct that it would be cheaper.

shuter

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Website
www.roboliveauthor.com
Media
Hunted
Oregon, Montana
@vette447 why not just get AHR to build a .505 to your spec as you liked the one they had for sale. sell the .500 jeff to help cover costs. then you are getting a rifle how you want it, at what i think is good value . my AHR .404 looks great and feels great as well, and hopefully the dealer will have some .404 ammo in when i am back in zambia next week so i can finally shoot it .
My thoughts exactly! A Gibbs won't be cheap, if it works correctly; and one that doesn't work right ain't worth a plugged nickel. If I ever wanted a Gibbs, I'd go with a CZ action; and if I ever went with a CZ action, Wayne at AHR would work his magic on it for me before I ever even touched it. He just worked over my Ruger RSM .458 Lott and I can tell you he's an old-school craftsman and a first-class gentleman. Good luck whichever way you go!

matt85

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, South Africa, and Namibia
sorry im so late into this thread, ive been working too much lately.

as mentioned AHR will build a decent 505 Gibbs rifle. their rifles are well balanced, reliable, and easy on the eyes.

do keep in mind there is a weakness to the 505 Gibbs cartridge. the incredibly wide cases make it difficult for even the CZ magnum action to hold in the magazine. AHR has been the closest to getting this issue under control but i admit even they dont have it perfectly. if i cycle the action too roughly with three down, i run the risk of the top cartridge popping out of the magazine.

if you have any questions about loading for this cartridge feel free to shoot me a PM.

here is my AHR 505 Gibbs in its natural environment:

-matt

Attachments

• cartridge1_zpsghapadfi.jpg
    cartridge1_zpsghapadfi.jpg
    430.3 KB · Views: 144

Bruce

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SAGA/ Cape Hunters/ SA Hunters Association
Hunted
Namibia/Zimbabwe/Zambia/ South Africa/ Botswana/ Tanzania
@Bruce I am in SA , you are welcome to view mine , you will be most surprised
Where are you based in SA?

beautiful rifle... BUT that UGLY magazine thing below the stock is a real eyesore and will surely get in the way when in thick bush!!!! :ROFLMAO::LOL::D:cry:

spike.t

Sponsor
Since 2013
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
sci int, basc,wpaz
Hunted
beautiful rifle... BUT that UGLY magazine thing below the stock is a real eyesore and will surely get in the way when in thick bush!!!! :ROFLMAO::LOL::D:cry:

now come on bruce that is the tactical foregrip you must have seen them on other close quarter weapons......;)
UTG_Foregrip_for_sale__06244.1387490147.1280.1280.jpg

Attachments

• UTG_Foregrip_for_sale__06244.1387490147.1280.1280.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 94

Bruce

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SAGA/ Cape Hunters/ SA Hunters Association
Hunted
Namibia/Zimbabwe/Zambia/ South Africa/ Botswana/ Tanzania
now come on bruce that is the tactical foregrip you must have seen them on other close quarter weapons......;)
Yebbo... most certainly have seen and used these "versions " in unusual circumstances in the Zim bush years ago!! Maybe I'll get a nice piece of Mopani prattley puttied onto the fore end of my 458 and tape it down with good old insulation tape for my elephant hunt next month??? (n)(y):sneaky:o_O

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GuyDummer

Latest profile posts

degoins wrote on Treemantwo's profile.
I have a like new VC .450 I might part with. I had it built in 2013 and it has served me well. Also have a VC fitted leather trunk case for it along with the plastic case it came with. I'll take 14000 for all of it.
Matt W wrote on Jody's profile.
Hi Jody,
I have been looking for ideas on the best way to display my European mounts from Africa. I came across some of your shield work and was wondering if you would be willing to make one for me? If so, please let me know the cost. I like the shield with the two spears that you built for a member years ago. Thanks.
cal pappas wrote on Mnelson2's profile.
Nelson. Is this message a PM format. I want to send you my email, but don't know if this is the cirrect way to do it. I'm at <pappas@mtaonline.net> Send me an email with your phone and I will call you about a skull I have. I went to school in Boston and am from Bernardston in the west part of the state. Moved to Alaska in 1984 adn never looked back.
BeeMaa wrote on Justbryan's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. He was a pleasure to do business with.
BeeMaa wrote on 375Fox's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. Was a pleasure to do business with.