.500 Nitro Express & Superformance powder

ftrovato

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Canada/Wyoming/Montana/South Dakota/Texas/New York/Pennsylvania/New Jersey/Delaware/Maryland/Virginia
- Swift Reloading Manual #2 lists loading data for the .500 N.E. with a 570 grain A-Frame bullet using Hodgdon Superformance powder.
- I verified it's not a misprint with Swift since the powder is promoted for cartridges in the 22-250, .243 & 300 Short Mag range by Hodgdon.
- I also have an email into Hodgdon asking them for direction before I try this. (The volume of powder needed seems to be large to say the least).
- After I get verification from Hodgdon I'll start at the low end of powder and work my way up.
- HAS ANYONE HERE TRY THIS LOAD OUT YET? IF SO, HOW DID IT SHOOT FOR PRESSURE/VELOCITY/REGULATION?

MIN = 112.5
MAX = 121

That’s the first time I’ve heard of that powder being used for 500ne. There will be more recoil with that much ejecta.

So many powders, so little time!

Would like to know if it works for you!

- Swift Reloading Manual #2 lists loading data for the .500 N.E. with a 570 grain A-Frame bullet using Hodgdon Superformance powder.
- I verified it's not a misprint with Swift since the powder is promoted for cartridges in the 22-250, .243 & 300 Short Mag range by Hodgdon.
- I also have an email into Hodgdon asking them for direction before I try this. (The volume of powder needed seems to be large to say the least).
- After I get verification from Hodgdon I'll start at the low end of powder and work my way up.
- HAS ANYONE HERE TRY THIS LOAD OUT YET? IF SO, HOW DID IT SHOOT FOR PRESSURE/VELOCITY/REGULATION?
I always used IMR3031 at 80-83 grains due to recoil. Great performance at much lower recoil. It was set up for me by Ken Owen

I always used IMR3031 at 80-83 grains due to recoil. Great performance at much lower recoil. It was set up for me by Ken Owen
Was that for standard regulation or a custom regulation adjustment by Ken? I might try it.

Interesting. I see that Mr Owen is a proponent of IMR 3031 in many large bore loads he works up.

I'm sure they must regulate very well. How is the velocity?

Was that for standard regulation or a custom regulation adjustment by Ken? I might try it.
Good question…the answer is I am not sure. However the 80 grains generated 2052 FPS. Jj Perodeau always told me 2050-2100 was the sweet spot for a 500 NE. This load printed at 1.5 inches regulation at 50 yards but the key point was I could not believe the reduced recoil I experienced with this powder and load

Interesting. I see that Mr Owen is a proponent of IMR 3031 in many large bore loads he works up.

I'm sure they must regulate very well. How is the velocity?
80 grains with a 570 grain bullet in my 500 NE 2052 FPS

Thanks. What's your double weigh? I don't remember what you shoot. My V/C is 11.4 pounds empty.

11.5 pounds

Ok, so here's why this stuff really matters...I had a friend run the QuickLoad calculations for a load I've been working with for the 500ne and for Ken Owen's reduced recoil load. These stats are for my gun, which weighs 11.4 pounds.

570gr CEB solid, 3.750" COAL, 80grs IMR3031, 2041fps, 37.7Kpsi, 91% fill, 99.9% burn. 68.4 foot pounds recoil.

105grs of 4350 gives the same bullet 2225fps with 89ftlbs of recoil. My pressure is also higher at 55Kpsi. That load is a little too hot and regulation isn't as tight as I would like.

I'm definitely going to try the Owens load!

@rookhawk has also experienced the reduced recoil of IMR3031 yet good velocity
I am also a fan of 3031; My rifle is a .470ne though.

Here’s a fun experiment for you…load 2 rounds in your double 1 with IMR3031 and the other with a factory Hornady round.

Now fire those rounds back to back at night while someone videos you.

You will notice the difference in your shoulder immediately- you’ll notice the flamethrower of unburneded powder at the end of the barrel when you watch the video of the Hornady round.

Or at least I did with my 24” barrels

Last edited:
With my first 500 NE, Ken Owen had me at 80 grains of IMR3031. Your quick load is very close with the 2041 FPS. I have quick load as well. With my Westley Richards 500 NE, I used 83 grains of IMR3031 and got the 2052 FPS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdrieneRun

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois