Africa
Member of
NRA, ATA, PITA, DU, TU, DSC, SCI, RMEF, QU & PU
Hunted
USA - Canada -Tanzania, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia
500 Mozambican poachers shot dead in Kruger Park since 2010
Former Mozambican president Joaquim Chissano makes astonishing claim

rhino.jpg

Armed rangers in South Africa's Kruger Park have killed nearly 500 mostly young Mozambicans for poaching activities over the past five years, according to former Mozambican president Joaquim Chissano.

Kruger, South Africa's main tourist draw, is on the front lines of a surge in rhino poaching for the animal's horn to meet demand in countries such as Vietnam, where it is a coveted ingredient in traditional medicine.

Poaching gangs are usually heavily armed and rangers in Kruger, which shares a porous, 350-km (210-mile)-long border with impoverished Mozambique, are allowed to open fire if threatened with lethal force.

Officials from the South African National Parks referred queries on Chissano's comments made on Friday to police, who could not confirm the number of the poachers killed by Monday.

A spokesman at Kruger said data was not available on the number of poaching-related arrests made in the past year. The national parks agency says a majority of suspected poachers arrested are Mozambicans but given no figures.

Chissano, whose foundation is involved in conservation, said 82 Mozambican poachers had been killed in Kruger Park so far this year, compared with 106 during the whole of 2014 without citing the source for the figures.

"It worries me that quite a large number of Mozambicans killed in Kruger Park in poaching activities," the former president said. "Each of these Mozambicans dead means more poverty for his family, because they can no longer count on him to fight for better living conditions."

Mozambique is one of the world's poorest countries, which drives some Mozambicans to try lucrative poaching in Kruger, but South African villages near the park have also been involved in illegal poaching.

In June last year, Mozambique approved a new law introducing tougher penalties against convicted poachers, including heavy fines and prison sentences of up to 12 years.

Attachments

• rhino.jpg
    rhino.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 137
I am not sure if this has been posted. I did not find it.

Now the middle men - women need to be rounded up and sent to prison.

until the top and middle are affected nothing will change...

There will always be some poor village person who will risk life and limb to make a living.

Now the middle men - women need to be rounded up and sent to prison.

until the top and middle are affected nothing will change...

There will always be some poor village person who will risk life and limb to make a living.

The guys at the bottom know the risk and they are desperate enough to take the chance. It would be nice if they could be bought off to catch the people higher up the chain. My guess is that shooting the expendables lets the government boast of all they are doing about poaching while preserving the trade and getting their kickbacks. Perhaps I am cynical.

If they really wanted to do something they could introduce poisoned horn into the supply chain. That should have an adverse effect on demand.

im glad they are dead,500 less poachers.

My guess is that shooting the expendables lets the government boast of all they are doing about poaching while preserving the trade and getting their kickbacks. Perhaps I am cynical.
This is Africa we're talking about Bert. Cynical? Unlikely!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlessdiuse

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg