500 jeffrey for whitetail

Seems like the Raptor does just what it was designed to. The petals from the Jeff seem to penetrate a lot farther than they do from say a .30-06. Could be that each one of them from that gun weighs as much as a .25ACP round and is moving faster. Nice shooting. I have used my .375 and .416 on black bear for much the same reason. They are hunting rifles. Hunt with them!

Yeah it killed the deer all right, but I'm not sure the behavior of the bullet is exactly what I would want on a larger critter. They may work just fine though, but I think I will go the more traditional route on my first hunt in Africa and run the A Frames
Agreed, are there any records of CEB Raptors being used on buffaloes? Will be interesting to find, but when you are going for DG you go with the tried and tested.

Agreed, are there any records of CEB Raptors being used on buffaloes? Will be interesting to find, but when you are going for DG you go with the tried and tested.
I started a thread back a while ago asking for first hand experience with the Raptors, and in particular if anyone had any bad experience with them and all the replies seemed to point towards them being some serious killing machines. I am usually a fan of frangible rounds for most hunting applications. The only thing that concerned me was finding the petals right under the hide on this deer. It was about a 90lb doe, I would have expected the petals to have enough energy to exit, and also the fact that the slug exited the neck and a good bit higher than the entrance wound. However, even with that, I have to imagine they would have wrecked a buffalos internals.

I have shot 3 Cape Buffalo and numerous Water Buffalo with the CEB Raptor. Using my 450NE 458 Lott, the last this past August a Cape with my 505 Gibbs and the 485gr CEB Raptor. The shot was a very slightly quartering on at 30 yards or so. The bullet entered the rightside of his chest and exited on his left side just aft of his rib cage heart and lungs were pretty much shredded by the petals.

IMG_0815.jpeg
IMG_0814.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Impressive, for the .474 Cal. any idea why they don't make them for 500 grain? They have the solids in this weight but he raptors are for 320,420 and 460 grains.

that doe was probably dead before she hit the ground. I know big bores aren’t the friendliest meat damage wise, but they sure are fun!
Big bores usually do much less meat damage than smaller, high velocity rounds. No .500 bullet should have done that much damage on such a light animal. That's why people have no trouble using the .375 and larger calibers on duikers And stenbuck in Africa. In the US the .45-70 and .444 Marlin are not thought of as wreaking more meat as say the .270 or 7mm RM. With today's better bullets even those rounds are less destructive to meat than they used to be.

Impressive, for the .474 Cal. any idea why they don't make them for 500 grain? They have the solids in this weight but he raptors are for 320,420 and 460 grains.
Bullet length and profile f the Raptor is the same as the Solid the 40gr difference in the .474 dia bullet is the material that is remove from the Solid to create the Raptor This is done so the two bullets POA and POI are the same

Screenshot 2022-11-23 at 12.53.46 PM.png

Sako discontinued that Brown Bear!
I know, and for the life of me I can't tell you why they would do that. It is almost perfect. The recoil pad and front sight are lacking, but both of those are easily fixed. I had a little feeding trouble with the 500, but that is common and it is now slick as can be and so far 100% reliable, but the pro's of that rifle.
1. The trigger is awesome
2. Short/heavy 21" barrel handles great.
3. Target rifle accuracy
4. Holds 3 Jeffrey down and 4 Rigby
5. Checkering is aggressive and actually works, as well as the forearm is slim enough to allow me to wrap my thumb over the top of the barrel in a "noveske" grip so you can really control the recoil.

I know, and for the life of me I can't tell you why they would do that. It is almost perfect. The recoil pad and front sight are lacking, but both of those are easily fixed. I had a little feeding trouble with the 500, but that is common and it is now slick as can be and so far 100% reliable, but the pro's of that rifle.
1. The trigger is awesome
2. Short/heavy 21" barrel handles great.
3. Target rifle accuracy
4. Holds 3 Jeffrey down and 4 Rigby
5. Checkering is aggressive and actually works, as well as the forearm is slim enough to allow me to wrap my thumb over the top of the barrel in a "noveske" grip so you can really control the recoil.
No, that was a good investment imo, all the above mentioned & for the love of god it was affordable!

I thought it was a lost cause as the order was placed before the world flipped upside down. Before it finally did arrive, I worked with a different distributer for Baretta/Sako.
Allegedly the .500 was only built upon order request .. idk when they took it down from the site?
I saw you had the front site worked over .. Nice machine man!

Thanks. I think I am going to send the 416 in and have the same treatment done on it. If I sell my double one of these days I may try to hunt down the 450 rigby and have a full set of them.

Seems like the Raptor does just what it was designed to. The petals from the Jeff seem to penetrate a lot farther than they do from say a .30-06. Could be that each one of them from that gun weighs as much as a .25ACP round and is moving faster. Nice shooting. I have used my .375 and .416 on black bear for much the same reason. They are hunting rifles. Hunt with them!

I guess I'm not a fan of the Raptors, nice shooting though. I see no reason why a 500 Jeffery bullet should not be able to expand, penetrate deeply and retain at least 90% of it's weight. I've shot several elk (cow tags), with my 500 Jeffery with 570g TSX's at 2300 fps both large exit wounds. The second one was 225 yards. Only bullet i recovered was dug out of a tree. It was almost a foot deep all 4 petals nicely spread out and intact. I also load 570g A-Frames to the same speed. Never hunted buffalo but plan to take the 500 on a brown bear hunt in a few years. Here's a 300g A-Frame that penetrated a 900 lb brown bear diagonally and still weighed 299.5g That's what I expect from a bullet.

5NwQ1PZ.jpg

tcFDiRY.jpg

I’m a little shocked the bullet deflected but sometimes weird things happen when you hit a shoulder. I stopped shooting deer in the shoulder because there was too much meat damage. I’m also guessing but this seems like a odd bullet failure because of the bullet design. I still like the idea of guys using these gun on deer I hunted many years with shotgun and slugs.

@Backyardsniper - Any thought given to the Barnes TSX 570 grain bullet? Hard to find but I believe Hendershot's is reloading them.

@Backyardsniper - Any thought given to the Barnes TSX 570 grain bullet? Hard to find but I believe Hendershot's is reloading them.
I would be interested to try them. I have not come across any of them in the wild yet. The only possible issue I see is the Sako I have has a slightly shorter action than say the CZ550. I don't know what the OAL would be with those. They would definitely be deep in the case at the very least, however that may not be a problem since you have a good bit of left over room in the case when using Varget and that is one of the powders recommended on the Barnes load data. I would like to give them a try, it should be easy to get plenty of speed to make them open.

What would be the purpose behind CEB's Raptor in a 577 ?

There was a box of Choice fitted with the above for sale @ one time ..
Thank You.

Swift A-Frames are a fool proof, always works, largebore soft. Can’t say enough good things about them.

I’d suggest throttling back on the caliber for whitetail though. What a horrible mess and a ton of wasted meat on that one. My son shot a very large doe two weeks ago with his 7x64 Brenneke shooting 140gr TTSX. It was a 60 yard chip shot and he’s always a good aim, so he took the aorta out. We had to toss most of the front quarter of the deer from hydro shock just like yours.

Both my son and you need a bit of civility and a 257 roberts for your whitetail shooting needs. :)

I wouldn't shoot a deer with a 500 Jeffery unless I used very reduced loads, something like a 535g cast bullet at 1700 fps. I shot a 450 lb feral hog at 8 feed between the eyes as it walked out of the brush towards me with a 570g TSX at 2300 fps. it exited the right ham leaving a desert sized exit hole. after going through the skull, shattering all of the vertebrae in the neck. The guts were literally liquified, nothing recognizable. We weren't planning to eat it anyway due to the potential for trichinosis. That's my younger son with me. He got a bigger one with the 270 lol

full

Attachments

• Sako_Rifles_2019_0.pdf
    10 MB · Views: 28
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-05 at 2.46.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-05 at 2.46.56 PM.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 21
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-05 at 2.46.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-05 at 2.46.57 PM.png
    365.1 KB · Views: 22
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-05 at 2.46.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-05 at 2.46.58 PM.png
    749.8 KB · Views: 20
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-05 at 2.47.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-05 at 2.47.00 PM.png
    902.7 KB · Views: 24
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-05 at 2.47.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-05 at 2.47.02 PM.png
    684.9 KB · Views: 21
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-05 at 2.47.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-05 at 2.47.05 PM.png
    706.1 KB · Views: 21
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-05 at 2.47.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-05 at 2.47.06 PM.png
    511.1 KB · Views: 23
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-05 at 2.47.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-05 at 2.47.07 PM.png
    986.7 KB · Views: 23
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-05 at 2.47.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-05 at 2.47.08 PM.png
    806.1 KB · Views: 20

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OmaMcGill

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg