500 jeffrey for whitetail

Backyardsniper

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I had the opportunity today to employ the 500 Jeffrey in some actual field use. Shot a small/midsize doe at 110 yards using the Trijicon RMR with 3.25 moa dot. Running CEB 475 Raptors over 105 grains of Varget. My labradar clocks this load at 2270fps. The result was a bang flop as would be expected. The Raptor did open. I found 2 of the petals under the hide, one in the neck and one in the off side shoulder. The remainder of the slug turned and exited the neck, entrance was right on the point of the shoulder.
I wanted to try the rifle with this sight set up to see if it would be suitable to use on plains game with this sighting system. I am quite pleased with the results, I think it is certainly minute of buffalo at 100 yards, and likely could brain an elephant at that distance, I have no intention of doing that, but it is nice to know that it puts the bullet exactly where you point it. I kept it on an 8" plate at 200 yards with the reflex sight. I would limit it to 125-150 yards I think, but that should be plenty for any unexpected PG while out hunting DG.
20221121_083327.jpg
20221121_101638.jpg
20221121_100618.jpg
20221121_100418.jpg

I’m a big 500 Jeffrey fan! You are spot on, there is no larger confidence booster in a rifle than knowing that if you point it where it should be that it’ll shoot exactly there.

Enjoy, and as always my best.
Jaco

Emphatic!

I like the idea of using a big bore for more than just DG..... beware of the nan with only one gun and all that.
You do say that the main part of the bullet turned and exited. That doesnt soind very good to me. I thought those bullets were supposed to shed petals and keep driving straight on.

I like the idea of using a big bore for more than just DG..... beware of the nan with only one gun and all that.
You do say that the main part of the bullet turned and exited. That doesnt soind very good to me. I thought those bullets were supposed to shed petals and keep driving straight on.
I agree that concerned me, I'm glad that I tested them out ahead of time. I will be using A frames or Woodleighs for my softs for sure now.

Not what I would call good bullet performance....and shit all over the meat to boot.....eish....
As usual ........your input....is.....appreciated........
Yes that bullet performance does not impress me for a DG bullet and yes there are stomach contents on the meat, not much choice as the bullets pretty much ruptured everything. Luckily it is hanging upside down so the back straps and hams were fine but yes the shoulders were pretty much a loss.

The CEB solids work fine on anything you care to put a .510 hole in. The raptors are designed to fragment (Which they obviously do) The aframe or woodleigh's would be a much better option. I shot a Jackal with the 500 at 75 yards with a aframe and it was a bang flop as you would expect. You would be fine with any plains game and the 570 CEB solid is fantastic on elephant.

The CEB solids work fine on anything you care to put a .510 hole in. The raptors are designed to fragment (Which they obviously do) The aframe or woodleigh's would be a much better option. I shot a Jackal with the 500 at 75 yards with a aframe and it was a bang flop as you would expect. You would be fine with any plains game and the 570 CEB solid is fantastic on elephant.
I'm thinking that is the route I'm going. I have got a deal worked to get some hornady DGX for practice and I have enough A Frames to work up a good load and hunt with them. I have enough 510 solids as well I believe to get a load that shoots same POI as the A frames. Looks like the A Frames and CEB solids will be a good combination.
I do have some 600 grain woodleighs in the works and if they arrive in time I may try to get a load worked up for those. I also have a handful of Norma factory ammo with 570 woodleigh solids but I'll probably just hang onto those and use the CEB solids.

Last edited:
The 500 Jeff is a really solid round. I had a CZ 550 for a few years and enjoyed it alot. (Have a friend that owns almost all the CZ 550 caliber options that had to have the 500) I have a 505 gibbs now that I am shooting in it's place. You will be well served with your 500.

I had the opportunity today to employ the 500 Jeffrey in some actual field use. Shot a small/midsize doe at 110 yards using the Trijicon RMR with 3.25 moa dot. Running CEB 475 Raptors over 105 grains of Varget. My labradar clocks this load at 2270fps. The result was a bang flop as would be expected. The Raptor did open. I found 2 of the petals under the hide, one in the neck and one in the off side shoulder. The remainder of the slug turned and exited the neck, entrance was right on the point of the shoulder.
I wanted to try the rifle with this sight set up to see if it would be suitable to use on plains game with this sighting system. I am quite pleased with the results, I think it is certainly minute of buffalo at 100 yards, and likely could brain an elephant at that distance, I have no intention of doing that, but it is nice to know that it puts the bullet exactly where you point it. I kept it on an 8" plate at 200 yards with the reflex sight. I would limit it to 125-150 yards I think, but that should be plenty for any unexpected PG while out hunting DG.View attachment 501462View attachment 501463View attachment 501464View attachment 501465
It seems to me that the huge bullet should have held together better than that. The whitetail doe is a light animal. Even striking the shoulder bone shouldn't have caused that kind of explosive result. I think I'd look for a tougher bullet.
It was good shooting though, and at least we know that the deer didn't suffer.

It seems to me that the huge bullet should have held together better than that. The whitetail doe is a light animal. Even striking the shoulder bone shouldn't have caused that kind of explosive result. I think I'd look for a tougher bullet.
It was good shooting though, and at least we know that the deer didn't suffer.
You are correct. It didn't even kick. The hydrostatic shock killed it like lightning.

I agree that concerned me, I'm glad that I tested them out ahead of time. I will be using A frames or Woodleighs for my softs for sure now.
Due to the lack of resistance, my guess is that is the reason why it did not go in a straight line. All the reports from larger test subjects seem to exit in a straight course. That is only a guess on my part, might want to start a thread asking for feedback on the Raptors.

The bullet did what it was intended for, i.e to kill the deer.
Yeah it killed the deer all right, but I'm not sure the behavior of the bullet is exactly what I would want on a larger critter. They may work just fine though, but I think I will go the more traditional route on my first hunt in Africa and run the A Frames

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoanRigby4

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you