.500 Jeffery whats your opinion

I guess standing like you are about to take a dump in the bush helps a lot with the recoil!

Sorry a little late to this post. I love my CZ in 500 Jeffery. I had some feeding problems but they eventually got resolved. Things were polished opened up a bit, in the end it turned out the magazine follower was the culprit (the groove not quite big enough for the fat cartridge). It cost me more in anxiety and time then dollars but it is my favorite rifle to shoot. I keep my loads down to a 570g bullet (TSX, A-Frame or Barnes Banded Solid) to 2300 fps. It shoots three shots cutting the same hole when I do my part. It swings like a good shotgun and puts down what you hit with it. Love the gun.

full
That's a good looking stock.

My notes say my .500J accounted for twenty-two buffalo, two boars and one cane toad in 2018, using 600 grain Woodleigh PPSNs, 570 grain Woodleigh Hydros and 475 grain CEB Safari Raptors.

ok ben what did the cane toad look like?..........if there was anything to look at.....:D

I just picked up a CZ550 in 500 Jeffery... I have yet to put any rounds through it but am excited. Previously I was using a 416 Rigby.

I have found the biggest downside so far is ammo availability.

My notes say my .500J accounted for twenty-two buffalo, two boars and one cane toad in 2018, using 600 grain Woodleigh PPSNs, 570 grain Woodleigh Hydros and 475 grain CEB Safari Raptors.
How far was the Cane Toad? And was it a good hunt more to the point? :W Rocket Launcher:

Maybe a six metre shot?

Definitely not shot from the car! You’d be mad to try to shoot that thing out the window!
suppose your lose the windows and your hearing :A Blowup:

I just picked up a CZ550 in 500 Jeffery... I have yet to put any rounds through it but am excited. Previously I was using a 416 Rigby.

I have found the biggest downside so far is ammo availability.
Have you had a chance to put some rounds down that 500 yet? If so how much more recoil is there over the 416??

I have hunted Africa with both and you can't lose either way...I like the 458 Lott as recommended by another poster but these are a nice step up in horsepower!
What was said by all above holds true..
Kinda depends on your action choice as the Jeffery will fit in the Win 70 but the Gibbs will need a larger such as the CZ550 ....
Both knock'em Dead!
Here is my 6.5pd Jeffery and the Gibbs is a Frank Wells Custom ..it also slammed this Hippo on the run headed for river..a 600gr Woodleigh Solid went though him like a hot knife though butter..he slid to the waters edge DEAD! (I saw a splash behind him when I shot and thought I shot over him but it was a complete pass through!)

FB_IMG_1550981593000.jpeg
20181117_202012.jpeg
IMG_902135975855538-1.jpeg
20170124_215458.jpeg

I've built a fair number of 500 Jeffery rifles. Two rifles based on my own actions, one on a Sarco 98 that I converted, another on a VZ-24 98 that I converted and one GMA standard with a deep box. In all cases proper feeding and ejection was achieved. Caution must be exercised in modification of the feed rails and it's best to make small adjustments to the rails and check the feed progress frequently. This is how I've achieved success building rifles for the 500 Jeffery.
The 500 Jeffery can be a little harder to procure ammunition for but for those who are persistent the components are out there. I've used brass by HDS, Bertram, Jamison.
I can honestly say the HDS brass is by far the best I've ever seen of the 3 brands, expensive though $275. For 50 and that was a good 10 to 12 years ago, may be more now.
In terms of shooting recoil, there isn't 5 cents difference between 450 Rigby, 500 Jeffery and 505 Gibbs.
In my opinion these builds benefit by some extra weight in the barrel, help keep the muzzle rise down.

I think the CZ 550 is a little small (bolt face wise) for the 505 Gibbs even, a GMA Magnum action is a better choice. That's why I went with a 500 Jeffery. Took patience and 3 gunsmiths (more time than money) to get it right. Everything down to the magazine size, magazine follower machining not to mention the feed ramp and feed rails must be just right. But when it's right a 500 Jeffery is a thing of beauty

full

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HongPilgri

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg